ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 04-28-2014   #11
J-Bonez

Default Re: Questions/Help on buying a ZR1

I was a little worried that he had a mechanic paint the motor and replace all gaskets but that was done about 10k miles ago, so I figure he woulda had problems by now it they screwed anything up
J-Bonez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014   #12
XfireZ51

You may want to connect w cvette98pacecar. Robert lives in Frankenmuth and owns several ZRs. He's also pretty picky.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014   #13
Schrade

Welcome onto the boards there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Bonez View Post
I am flying out to look at this 1992 zr1 with 42,000 miles. It has a chip and a tune, and a catback exhaust. "The car was completely stripped down and repainted with all new weatherstripping in 2010. The engine got all new gaskets and hoses and was painted along with the car. The work was done at Vettestorations in Southfield Mi." Everything else should be stock. I owned a 1994 LT1 and when I bought it the Adjustable suspension electronics were disconnected by the ABS computer under the rear compartment. So I plan on checking that. What else should I be looking for to make sure everything is in running order? I have a 600 mile drive home if I purchase this car and want to make sure I am not buying someone else's problems. I've waited my entire life to finally afford this ZR1 and I don't want my Dream Car to blind me of issues it may have. What advice can you ZR1 owners give me on what to test/ look for ? before handing this owner a ton of cash.
Any paperwork showing this wrenching? Might be no warranty, but you KNOW what was done. And was it sold shortly thereafter, because the problem didn't 'go away', with the work?

Read these boards for a few weeks, and see the things that go wrong after 20 years, and that need work, to know what to look for, even for low mileage cars.
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014   #14
Schrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post

Dynamite is my wife (Priscilla) who has been banned because she shares same IP address. Dave was going to correct that but I guess got busy doing other stuff. Priscilla hands me tools and runs for parts (even suggests what might be the issue) when I am under/or in the Zs

I just hand the Plugs to Priscilla as I remove them.
Priscilla is the one operating the starter when I do compression tests
She got any sisters still at home?
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014   #15
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrade View Post
She got any sisters still at home?
She is the only one that knows a crescent wrench from a vice grip. An Open End from a socket wrench. A 10 mm from a 3/8ths. A Torx from a Allen Head

And she is great with simple green on my hands

And....and....and.....she puts the tools right back in place where she found them

She even just the other day suggested the idle was too high on our 90' ZR-1 before it came back down by itself (early 90's have that issue)

Last edited by Dynomite; 04-28-2014 at 09:05 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014   #16
scottfab

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Bonez View Post
Thank you dynomite. as to you reply :
Oil pressure idling?
Oil pressure at 3,000 rpm hot?
Stock Exhaust?
Do you know if the secondaries function with power switch ON?
What is the time between vacuum pump cycling with ignition key on?

What should the oil pressure be idling? and at 3,000 rpm hot?

What are the secondaries that i need to check with power switch on?

and what time range am i looking for between vacuum pump cycling with ignition key on?

I really appreciate all your help and hope to soon be in the ZR1 brotherhood!!

Good luck with the purchase.
I'd take all that you heard and prioritize a list.
Likely you won't have a few days to check it out
so knowing what the high $ fixes are and looking for
those first would be prudent.
FIRST:
Take a scanner and plug it in and dump the error codes the car has!

NEXT:

1. What mods has the car had and are they documented?
Ask owner for paper work (repairs, receipts) this tell a lot.
You're looking for both a well documented car life AND major repairs.

2. Go through all gears looking for how well it shifts.
Check out reverse. A tranny fix will not be cheap. A new clutch job is not that bad $ wise, nor is the clutch slave and master cylinder.
If it shifted ok chances are all of fine.

3. Warm it up good and hot. Test the AC and test how it starts when hot. (checks a lot of things) Smooth idle and quick WOT response.

4. peak at rotors for heavy groves. Test smooth braking.

5. Do a walk around pre-flight check. (headlighs, tail lights, break lighs blinkers) You don't need a ticket on the way home. (good time to look for scratches and other damage)

6. Incidentals: radio/amps, seats, FX3 settings, etc....

7. Remember if the fluids are totally clear/clean it may NOT
be a good sign. It could mean there was work done and could still
have a problem. If the any particular fluid looks ok but not new....
good sign.

Again good luck and be ready to learn stuff

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014   #17
msorenso

Welcome,
I like yourself last April Joined the forum and in June of last year purchased my dream car that I have been love with since high school! Many great people here and the passion is very much alive!!! Good luck to you I hope it works out for the best 600 mile drive of your life. I drove mine from Alabama to South Dakota!!!
Corsa Exhaust No Cat
SW Stainless Long Tube Headers
MSD Coils
DRM Coil Overs
Hurst Shifter
ZF Doc Beam Plates
Center Force Dual Friction
msorenso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014   #18
J-Bonez

I spoke with Robert on the phone aka vettepacecar and let me tell you I love the brotherhood already. He is going to give the car a good inspection for me since I am in NJ and I don't want to waste a 550 plane ticket. I can't believe how nice everyone is I just hope no one buys the car before me if all checks out.
J-Bonez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014   #19
USAZR1

Good luck with the car,Bonez
1994 ZR-1 White/Red #152 (sold)
1991 ZR-1 Callaway Aerobody #1332 (sold)
1990 ZR-1 Red/Red #952 (sold)
2002 Z06 Torch Red/Mod Red widebody

Last edited by USAZR1; 04-29-2014 at 01:09 AM.
USAZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014   #20
cvette98pacecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAZR1 View Post
If you don't mind,a few questions. How much is the seller asking for the car? If it's been repainted,is it the original color? What catback exhaust does it have installed?
How many ZR-1's have you looked at? What is it about this car that makes it The One?
Clint, I can answer that question. The big fat azz and LT5 engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msorenso View Post
Welcome,
I like yourself last April Joined the forum and in June of last year purchased my dream car that I have been love with since high school! Many great people here and the passion is very much alive!!! Good luck to you I hope it works out for the best 600 mile drive of your life. I drove mine from Alabama to South Dakota!!!
There is nothing better than getting in your Z for the first time and driving her home on a long distance trip and having no problems.
I have been on three of the ventures so far the shortest being 800 miles from Atlanta to Frankenmuth, MI. Total time door to door 10 hours 35 minutes with stopping for gas twice. I forgot to mention the LPE has 254K Miles.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR=blue]G[/COLOR][COLOR=red]rand[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]S[/COLOR][COLOR=red]port[/COLOR] Registry Lifetime Member
NCM Lifetime Member #2655
Pacecar Registry Member
[COLOR=red]ZOOM Charter Member - ZR-1 Owners of Michigan[/COLOR]
[COLOR=plum][I]ZR-1[/I] Registry member since 2012 [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]1990 LPE "368" Aerobody ZR-1, Last ZR-1 built by John[/COLOR]
1991 Callaway Aerobody ZR-1, DRM 500
1991 Shinoda Aerobody Spyder,
1998 Pace Car
cvette98pacecar is offline   Reply With Quote