ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > Off Topic > OFF TOPIC

Old 04-25-2014   #1
WB9MCW

Default Why You've Never Seen a Koenigsegg Crash

The Swedish boutique supercar maker may have only rolled out a hundred or so cars, but you would have thought at least one Koenigsegg owner would have totaled their ride by now. Are the drivers especially careful when taking them for a spin? Rob from Super Speeders would argue it’s simply because Christian von Koenigsegg’s spectacular supercars are nothing short of idiot proof. Need to slam on the brakes at 186 mph? No problem. In fact you don’t even need to hold the steering wheel and the car will remain in a perfectly straight line.
The video also shows just how awesome the Agera’s stability control is when employing high-speed emergency maneuvers, while slaloming at 100 mph is child’s play. Next time you see a wrecked Ferrari or overturned Lambo, you’ll say: “Should have got a Koenigsegg.”

http://youtu.be/SywqgH7n-5g
"The Budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed, lest Rome will become bankrupt. People must again learn to work instead of living on public assistance." - Cicero, 55 BC
" We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln
WB9MCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014   #2
scottfab

Default Re: Why You've Never Seen a Koenigsegg Crash

It'd make a really crappy drift car

Koenigsegg Crashes

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people

Last edited by scottfab; 04-26-2014 at 08:53 AM.
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014   #3
WB9MCW

http://youtu.be/0i6JttEMo7Y

Looks to me by being a show off he caused the accident.

No doubt a novice driver and an idiot.

It does show how things can go wrong very easy under 1st gear burnout acceleration.

I see vids posted on the internet of this all the time when the hp gets the better of the driver on a 1st gear burnout be it Corvettes or other high output supercars.

The Koenigseeg safety measures do not exist for this type of exhibition of speed.

Just goes to prove that you can't make any/every ride entirely idiot-proof.
"The Budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed, lest Rome will become bankrupt. People must again learn to work instead of living on public assistance." - Cicero, 55 BC
" We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by WB9MCW; 04-26-2014 at 10:20 AM.
Old 04-26-2014   #4
FU

Doing that same wheel shuffle. I saw a C6 flip over right in front of me. The car flipped over like a wet rag.

NCM Lifetime member # 982
Registry Founding # 237
FU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014   #5
LGAFF

jump to 8:20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svxRpqeqFRY
90 #966-150K miles-sold
92 #234-sold
1987 Callaway TT #17
1991 ZR-1 #1359
LGAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014   #6
scottfab

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGAFF View Post
Oh you just did a google search or something to find a wreck with
a koenig in it.
Oh yah, that's what I did too
BUT... the brit says this Koenig did not have traction control (@ 3:16)
I guess we've seen enough crashes now to say they can be in a crash.
BTW this is the same brit that lambastes the Corvette each and every time he drives one. He likes pushing in the back flexible bumper and implies it's cheap. A$$

Last edited by scottfab; 04-29-2014 at 09:14 PM.
Old 04-29-2014   #7
WB9MCW

You can never expect this Brit to ever really not nit-pick on a Vette.
Old 04-29-2014   #8
scottfab

Quote:
Originally Posted by WB9MCW View Post
You can never expect this Brit to ever really not nit-pick on a Vette.
He is truly a piece of work.
On an episode about Brit cars he hailed them as God's gift,
then out of the other side of his face he had to acknowledge
all had gone out of business and/or bought out
claiming Brits can design good stuff they
just can't run the business side.
Right.
Next he'll be claiming they didn't need help in WW I and II

Old 04-29-2014   #9
LGAFF

That's an old episode, I was just being a smartass....the Top Gear driver suggested they add a big *** wing and they did, then they came back and took the track record; car was not generating enough downforce. I actually saw the original and read the Stigs book which detailed the accident.
90 #966-150K miles-sold
92 #234-sold
1987 Callaway TT #17
1991 ZR-1 #1359
LGAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014   #10
Hog

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGAFF View Post

Nit pick about the engine power ratings and fuels mentioned in this video. I At 1:00, in refernce to the 806 brake hp of the USA model "and that's on that limp-wristed ferro-liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run this on the more explosive jungle juice we have here in Europe you'll be getting 850 brake hp, oh, and I'll give you a little tip, if you tune this engine to run on environmentally friendly bio-fuel you'll be getting 900 brake hp."

Just a tad of European bias there. The fact is that the highest octane gasolines available commonly at the pump in the EU is:
Ordinary Unleaded-95 octane RON (Research Octane Number)
Super unleaded – 98 RON

Note that these are RON numbers. RON numbers are achieved using a variable compression ICE(Internal Combustion Engine) running at 600rpm. Compression is increased until the engine knocks.

MON(Motor Octane Number)- Is a more real world test as the ICE is ran at 900rpm while encountering a load while varying engine ignition timing is added, the fuel is also heated. MON is usually 8-10 numbers lower than RON.

In North America (Canada and USA) AKI(Anti-Knock Index) is used, this is where the RON and MON numbers are averaged (RON + MON)/2=AKI.

The higher engine power ratings of the European spec cars and the North American spec cars, when comparing the North American and European unleaded fuels, has nothing to do with the fuel, but everything to do with the EPA(Environmental Protection Agency) and the requisite catalytic converters/mufflers and the corresponding ECM/PCM(Engine Control Module/Powertrain Control Module) calibration changes.

EU Spec CCX is 850hp
USA spec CCX is 806hp

The EU Spec of my Uncle's F1991 Ferrari Testarossa equipped with the Ferrari 4.9 liter flat 12 cylinder is 396hp and the USA spec rating is 380hp equipped with USA spec catalytic converters and USA spec ECM calibration. Seeing as the CCX is supercharged, these differences in equipement and calibration will only be magnified.

The one power rating of the CCX that is directly proportional to the fuel being used is the Bio-fuel as mentioned with its 900hp potential. I'm assuming that when Clarkson mentions "Bio-Fuel" that he is referring to some sort of Ethanol product. I think the UK uses E-85(85% ethanol) fuels similar to North America. Not only does Ethanol have a higher AKi than most gasolines, its low latent heat of evaporation, produces a natural intercooling effect, esp. useful in forced induction applications.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
More on fuels and AKI
NA(North American) fuels have a wide array of ratings.
AKI=(R+M)/2
Regular (Cat Urine)=85-88 AKI average being 87
Midgrade/Plus Unleaded=88-90 AKI, average being 89
Premium Unleaded= greater than 90 with the average being 92 (In Canada we have 94 AKI available from Sunoco at the pumps.
In USA Sunoco 260-GT is a non-lead, 100 octane=AKI(105+95)/2 which is non-oxygenated making it street legal. This fuel is also sold as brand names CAM2, TurboBlue, and Trick-P.O.P. fuels.

Here is a Google map of availability, but it is 5 years old now.
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...z=4&dg=feature

Also octane ratings and AKI are a measure of a fuels ability to resists detonation, pre-ignition, "spark knock". The higher the number doesnt translate into, more "explosivity"(my own new word).

In aviation, there is 2 rating systems for AViation fuel(AVGAS). There is an "Aviation Lean" rating for naturally aspirated engines. "Aviation Rich" ratings are used for fuels to be used in aircraft engines that use turbochargers, superchargers or any combination of both. The terms "Aviation-Lean" and "Aviation-Rich" come from the fact that N/A(Naturally Aspirated) engines use a more lean fuel rating as compared to forced induction engines which use a richer a/f(air/fuel) ratio.
Currently commonly used fuels have an "Aviation Lean" rating of 100, and "Aviation Rich" rating of 130.

During WW2, extensive fuel testing was done in attempts to raise the AKI/octane ratings for aircraft engines in order to support the need for more powerful engines for aircraft.
In 1943 the 27 liter (1647 cubic inches) Rolls Royce Merlin V-12 engine was producing 1320hp using 100RON fuel.
By the end of WW2 experiments were being conducted with 150 octane RON fuels. The 150 RON aviation fuel was created by mixing 1 liter(1000mL) of 100 octane RON fuel with 25 mL of aniline making it a 2.5% aniline. They had tried adding Lead as was normal, but it Lead tended to foul the sparkplugs and build up in the combustion chambers.

As a little tid-bit, in Saudi Arabia, Super 91 RON and Super 95 RON are available at a price of US$0.12/liter and US$0.16/liter or US$0.45/US gallon for 91RON and US$0.61/US gallon for 95RON respectivley.
For perspective, at the local 230 T/A Truckstop which sells teh most inexpensive fuels in the country, Regular 87AKI just went up to CAN$1.39/liter and Premium 91AKI rose to CAN$1.85/liter.

Conversion from liters to US gallons
CAN$5.26/USgallon for 87AKI
CAN$7.00/USgallon for 91AKI
Now conversion from CAN dollar to US dollar, today trading at CAN $1.0966 Canadian dollars for 1 US dollar.
US$4.80/US Gallon for 87AKI
US$6.38/US Gallon for 91AKI
These fuel prices are the highest they have EVER been. Some provinces of Canada have average gasoline prices of prices of CAN$1.49.2/liter or CAN$5.65/US Gallon or US$5.15/US gallon for 87AKI gasoline.

A liter of gasoline(petrol) in the UK costs BPS(British Pound Sterling)1.40/liter.
BPS1.40=CAN$1.84/L
CAN$6.97/US Gallon or US$9.01/US Gallon for Regular Unleaded.

In Greece gasoline spiked up to €(Euro)2.001/Liter or roughly $10/US Gallon.

Man the price of fuel is no joke. Heck the price of any energy source is going through the roof. US gasoline prices are quite reasonable when compared to the rest of the world.

(I tried my best to describe any acronyms by 1st listing the acronym, then typing the acronym out in full after the 1st usage of the acronym.)

ZR-1 Net Registry Member #1494
Hog is offline   Reply With Quote