ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > Corvette > Corvette Audio/Electronics

Old 06-10-2008   #11
Trizney

Default Re: Retrofitted HUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDCYLON
Sounds like to me that in order to achieve acceptable viewing all the time the strip is required. Yes??
I can only speak from BMW experience, but to answer your question, no.

I have seen HUD on E60 5 series without the special windshield, and it was just a tad darker. The wrong windshield was put in, and that is how I was able to see the before and after. BMW uses a film in the entire windshield even though just a section is used for the HUD.

So, take that for what you will.
Trizney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008   #12
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trizney
I can only speak from BMW experience, but to answer your question, no.

I have seen HUD on E60 5 series without the special windshield, and it was just a tad darker. The wrong windshield was put in, and that is how I was able to see the before and after. BMW uses a film in the entire windshield even though just a section is used for the HUD.

So, take that for what you will.
The point is acceptable viewing ALL the time......... If your happy with a non factory installed aftermarket windshield on a BMW because you can still see the image its probably not going to be the same clarity as the engineers intended yes? You state the image was not as bright which ='s degraded. Especialy in Arizona in direct sun. Speaking of C5/C6 Corvettes use the blocked area within the window for this propose as well as ANY aftermarket kit includes the strip for the best possible viewing. SO from my view the strip is there for a purpose just like the factory window is prepared for a BMW. Nuff said
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V

Last edited by GOLDCYLON; 06-11-2008 at 09:34 AM.
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008   #13
Aurora40

Someone on CF retrofitted a HUD to their C4... Let me see if I can find it...
Former owner of #2517

[IMG]http://a.random-image.net/aurora40/vette.jpg[/img]
Aurora40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009   #14
95ZR1#418

Talking Re: Retrofitted HUD

I wanted to install a HUD in my ZR-1. I found a dealer of which I can't remember(name brand quality) and couldn't find it in my "bookmarks". The dealer catered to ricers for most all installations. I considered buying the kit but after e-mailing a few Q & A with the service person, they couldn't answer any questions. They had no experience with the unit in a corvette C4 as I could see.

I was able to view the installation diagrams, to which they could not answer any questions. It required hard wiring into the computer systems of the car for the corresponding readouts. The diagrams were not specific to the car & would require an intense understanding of the systems within the ZR-1 to wire it. At this point, I decided there was not anyone with the experience or knowledge in the C4 installation to advise me.

I did contact Dwight in this matter, he does have a HUD in his ZR-1. At the time he deferred me because he had plans to write it up in the ZR1 Net News Letter. Unless I somehow missed it, I don't believe he ever wrote it up. Never-the-less...

You also had to mount the display screen on your windshield. Probably the biggest drawback, you have to mount a medium sized projector (sender unit) similar to a radar detector on your dash pointing to the screen for viewing. I can't see how this could be cut into your dash to be partially concealed. To just mount it to the dash, I think would be an eyesore, let alone limit visibility. Besides, I already have my V1 utilizing the cutout, too much junk on the dash (viewing area) if actually feasable.

I doubt anyone would cut into their dash to try and partially embed the sending unit. Most likely, you couldn't get the room you want for the destruction caused. You could probably live with it if you didn't run a detector in the cutout, but I have to have my V1 in combination with my Blinder Laserjammer.

I sure would like a HUD in my ZR-1 though, if only the sending unit was much smaller and barely noticed on the dash. I have not driven my car at very fast speeds very often but, maybe more than some since I do live in a remote part of MT. My big concern (besides how new/the rating/tread wear and odds of a blowout on good tires) was watching my speed and gauges. I'm not at ease at speed to look down at the gauges, I want to keep my eyes on the road!! even if it's straight as hell. I instantly realized what a HUD was for when I pushed the ZR-1 for the first time. I wanted to know, to see the numbers, yet look through it & see the road- what a great feature.

[IMG]http://www.axoplasmic.com/800x600/toponzr1.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://www.axoplasmic.com/800x600/topoffzr1.jpg[/IMG][URL="http://axoplasmic.com/AXOPLASMIC/ZR1.html"]My '95 ZR-1 Home Page[/URL]
95ZR1#418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009   #15
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95ZR1#418 View Post
I wanted to install a HUD in my ZR-1. I found a dealer of which I can't remember(name brand quality) and couldn't find it in my "bookmarks". The dealer catered to ricers for most all installations. I considered buying the kit but after e-mailing a few Q & A with the service person, they couldn't answer any questions. They had no experience with the unit in a corvette C4 as I could see.

I was able to view the installation diagrams, to which they could not answer any questions. It required hard wiring into the computer systems of the car for the corresponding readouts. The diagrams were not specific to the car & would require an intense understanding of the systems within the ZR-1 to wire it. At this point, I decided there was not anyone with the experience or knowledge in the C4 installation to advise me.

I did contact Dwight in this matter, he does have a HUD in his ZR-1. At the time he deferred me because he had plans to write it up in the ZR1 Net News Letter. Unless I somehow missed it, I don't believe he ever wrote it up. Never-the-less...

You also had to mount the display screen on your windshield. Probably the biggest drawback, you have to mount a medium sized projector (sender unit) similar to a radar detector on your dash pointing to the screen for viewing. I can't see how this could be cut into your dash to be partially concealed. To just mount it to the dash, I think would be an eyesore, let alone limit visibility. Besides, I already have my V1 utilizing the cutout, too much junk on the dash (viewing area) if actually feasable.

I doubt anyone would cut into their dash to try and partially embed the sending unit. Most likely, you couldn't get the room you want for the destruction caused. You could probably live with it if you didn't run a detector in the cutout, but I have to have my V1 in combination with my Blinder Laserjammer.

I sure would like a HUD in my ZR-1 though, if only the sending unit was much smaller and barely noticed on the dash. I have not driven my car at very fast speeds very often but, maybe more than some since I do live in a remote part of MT. My big concern (besides how new/the rating/tread wear and odds of a blowout on good tires) was watching my speed and gauges. I'm not at ease at speed to look down at the gauges, I want to keep my eyes on the road!! even if it's straight as hell. I instantly realized what a HUD was for when I pushed the ZR-1 for the first time. I wanted to know, to see the numbers, yet look through it & see the road- what a great feature.
What no pics ?
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote