ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > Off Topic > Review/Evaluation

Old 08-05-2011   #1
Hammer

Talking Drag radial test

Interesting article on drag radials.

http://www.superchevy.com/technical/...est/index.html
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][I]2015 ZL1 [/I][I]Camaro #1121 BLACK/BLACK 6 SPD (540 RWHP)[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
[I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1]1991 ZR-1 #458 [COLOR=red]RED/[/COLOR][COLOR=black]BLACK 72[/COLOR]k miles ([B][COLOR=red]SOLD[/COLOR][/B])
1991 ZR-1 #473 [COLOR=red]RED/[/COLOR][COLOR=black]BLACK [/COLOR]37k miles ([B][COLOR=red]SOLD[/COLOR][/B])[/SIZE][/FONT][/I]
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011   #2
HAWAIIZR-1

Default Re: Drag radial test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
Interesting article on drag radials.

http://www.superchevy.com/technical/...est/index.html
John,

Thanks for sharing. Good reading and I might try those Nittos...........
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011   #3
Hammer

Talking Re: Drag radial test

No problem Buddy. Wish I had seen this a lttle earlier. I just bought some of the Mickeys for the Nova.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][I]2015 ZL1 [/I][I]Camaro #1121 BLACK/BLACK 6 SPD (540 RWHP)[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
[I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1]1991 ZR-1 #458 [COLOR=red]RED/[/COLOR][COLOR=black]BLACK 72[/COLOR]k miles ([B][COLOR=red]SOLD[/COLOR][/B])
1991 ZR-1 #473 [COLOR=red]RED/[/COLOR][COLOR=black]BLACK [/COLOR]37k miles ([B][COLOR=red]SOLD[/COLOR][/B])[/SIZE][/FONT][/I]
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011   #4
sammy

i have had a set of nitto nto5s in 315x35x17 for over a year and like them alot better than the mickeys. i have found with the 315 size that 19-21 lbs works best going below 17 seems to spin the tire on the rim and make the car a handfull on the big end . also a 2-3 sec burn out seems to heat them just perfect any more and the car seems to bow the tires off . nitto says the perfect tire heat is 192 after the burn out . jmho
sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011   #5
USAFPILOT

I have those tires on my A-Molds and really liked them until I took them of when upgrading to 18" Shelby Rims. They hooked like glue, but I didn't consider them a drag radial. As I read up on them it seemed to me they were designed to be a street tired intended for occasional track use, as in a road course rather than drag strip. It is cool to know how well they perform on a drag strip. One reason I went with them though was after reading a thread in which a C6 Z06 owner was launching on the NT-05's and his half shaft twisted into pieces due to them hooking so hard.
1994 #293 ZR-1 Stainless Works Long Tube Headers, B&B catback w/ X-Pipe, 18" Shelby Series One Wheels, SLP CAI.
USAFPILOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011   #6
sammy

i should correct the tire designation its nto5R. its a dedicated drag radial ..
Old 02-19-2012   #7
HAWAIIZR-1

These sound perfect to put on the Dymags that I found.

Old 07-09-2012   #8
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy View Post
i should correct the tire designation its nto5R. its a dedicated drag radial ..
Brad,
I'm getting close to ordering tires for my Dymags and I remember you mentioning some tires that also was recommended by Marc H and I can't remember of find what it was. I'm still on the fence because I'm not really sure how often I will be drag racing and will be driving to the track and not bring them to change there.

Thanks,
Craig

Old 07-10-2012   #9
sammy

craig , hi buddy hope everything going well over there . the nitto nto5r drag radial is a great tire to use even in every day driving as long as it isnt in the rain . if youn are planning on doing some corner racing the nitto nto5 is a great street track tire . bill boudreau has them on his car and just loves them .. the nice thing about the nittos on the street is they dont get squirrel y when you make a fast lane change ,like i found out with the mickeys . to me the nitto drag radials launch my car better , with more tire pressure , but thats just my opinion . if i can ever help you in any way please just let me know have a great week .
Old 07-10-2012   #10
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy View Post
craig , hi buddy hope everything going well over there . the nitto nto5r drag radial is a great tire to use even in every day driving as long as it isnt in the rain . if youn are planning on doing some corner racing the nitto nto5 is a great street track tire . bill boudreau has them on his car and just loves them .. the nice thing about the nittos on the street is they dont get squirrel y when you make a fast lane change ,like i found out with the mickeys . to me the nitto drag radials launch my car better , with more tire pressure , but thats just my opinion . if i can ever help you in any way please just let me know have a great week .
Hi Brad,
I know you have a lot of track experience so thanks for the reply. It was a different post that I remember seeing that Cliff mentioned NT555R rears and NT555 on front from Marc H. I heard a lot of good things about the NT05R too and the NT05 for road track/street. I'll be going to Twin Ring Motegi Street Shootout (September) to see if I can qualify for the Quick 8 so looking for a good tire for the drags, but have to drive 3 hours if all goes well. This track is a 1000 foot track so not quite quarter mile. I'll order an air tank to take with me just in case I play with air pressure, but they might have air there and will have to check.

http://www.twinring.jp/shootout_m/

I'll have to decide between the NT555R or NT05R on the rear and run the same in the front minus the R.

I will also have to get my headers back on with new X pipe and Dynomax mufflers with a dyno tune to get this car running right.

Thanks and take care.

Craig