ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > Off Topic > Review/Evaluation

Old 11-26-2012   #1
Hib Halverson

Default Finally, a good tire gauge at reasonable cost

Tire gauges are one of the tools we use to take care of our ZR1s which many take for granted.

I'll betcha there are some folks who buy a "pencil" type gauge because they're cheap. Or maybe they get one of the cheaper digital tire gauges that have saturated the market lately. For some reason a lot of folks equate "digital" with accuracy or durability.

Not.

A few years ago I tested a selection of popularly-priced digital tire gauges for a technical article about tire selection and care and, eventually, every one of those gauges ended up in the trash, either because they weren't accurate or they were not durable.

In my shop, for many years, I used a tire gauge I made myself from an air chuck, short section of air compressor hose, pressure relief valve and a 60-psi pressure gauge I bought at an industrial hardware store. Well, about nine months ago I dropped the thing on the floor and broke the gauge, so I began looking for something to replace it.

I found lots of cheap tire gauges: pencil gauges made of plastic at 7-11, cute little dial gauges sitting in boxes on the counter at Pep Boys, and at Walmart low cost digital gauges which go "beep" or have blinking numbers. I also found on the web some pretty expensive, high-end stuff intended for racing where half a pound pressure either way can win or loose a race. What took me a long time to find is a tire gauge that is accurate enough for use on my ZR1 and my other street driven hot rods, as well as, durable, easy to use and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

My search led me to the AutoMeter "Tire Pressure Gauge" (PN 2343). This unit has been on the market since early 2012, lists for 28 bucks but bargain hunters can find it for $20-25.

The AutoMeter 2343 meets all my specs. It's affordable. It's simple to use and easy to read. It's accurate–I've tested three of them and all three read within 1/4-psi of each other. Plus, I compared them to another gauge borrowed from a pal of mine who's on a race team and they read within a 1/3-psi of his expensive racing gauge. Auto Meter claims the accuracy of the 2343 is ±2% at the center scale and ±3% at the ends of the scale, certainly acceptable for a tire gauge priced at around $25. The AutoMeter seems pretty durable as, while kneeling and checking tires, I've dropped one on the floor with no ill-effects.

The AutoMeter gauge reads 0-60-psi which is good for use with Corvette tires along with those on most other cars and light trucks. It's air chuck is recessed properly so there's no fumbling around trying to get the air chuck aligned on the tire valve stem when taking a pressure measurement. The end of the gauge has a handy pin cast into metal housing on the end for deflating tires. The Auto Meter gauge's convenient size means it fits in the center console compartment, the glove compartment, in a door pocket or in your pants pocket.

In short, the AutoMeter Tire Gauge gets two thumbs-up. I have them stashed in two of my Corvettes and have the third in my tool box.

Want more info?
Visit http://www.autometer.com/
current owner 19 VIN 1878
Hib Halverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012   #2
efnfast

Default Re: Finally, a good tire gauge at reasonable cost

Thanks Hib, sounds like a good answer to a problem a lot of people didn't know they had.
efnfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012   #3
mgg

Interesting, I have about three or four gauges that I have used on my race car and honestly I cannot trust any of them. I have high dollar "Longacre" gauges medium prices racer wholesale gauges etc. None of them will match when it comes to comparing them after taking tire pressures. My confidence is not very high as to who makes an accurate tire gauge anymore. All of my gauges can vary in range by as much as six pounds. When racing, I would certainley like to have more accuracy than that. I don't know which one is accurate actually. Hib, I hope this gauge works for you and I might go purchase one but I am not holding out much hope that these gauges are not much more than an approximation.
mgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012   #4
Kevin

I just use one of the ones that has the little stick come out the bottom
Old 11-27-2012   #5
RyanChappel

Default Thanks for the tip, Hib

Bought one for the Z and one for my friend's '69 CJ Mustang, an original DragPak car.......

Jegs delivered in Indiana the next day after I ordered.....Freaky Fast!

Merry (early) Christmas...

Last edited by RyanChappel; 11-29-2012 at 10:06 AM. Reason: note about Jegs delivery
RyanChappel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012   #6
Z Factor

Thumbs up Re: Finally, a good tire gauge at reasonable cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hib Halverson View Post
In short, the AutoMeter Tire Gauge gets two thumbs-up. I have them stashed in two of my Corvettes and have the third in my tool box.
This is a timely review as I have been driven nuts with malfunctioning tire gauges as of late.
Originally I bought Milton's for around $20 and they had a good reputation and lasted. Eventually mine went out after years of service and I could not find a local replacement. So I tried a "heavy duty" truck gauge by Victor for about $15 and have had nothing but trouble.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...uge#fragment-3

I've returned it three times for new ones, yet they all last about a month before losing pressure through the bleeder valve. So the last trip I just got my money back and decided to search for another Milton. However since you have had good luck with this brand, I will give one a try.

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.
Theodore Roosevelt - April 23, 1910
Z Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012   #7
WARP TEN

Hib, in your research did you come accross any digital guages that are accurate and fairly close to meeting your criteria? --Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"
WARP TEN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012   #8
Hib Halverson

Nope.

I tested a bunch of lower cost digitals and they were junk.

I tested one very high end unit and it was very accurate and built to last but, even with those features it was way too pricey for anything but a Sprint Cup Team.

My idea of a good digital would be accuracy and durability and under 200 bucks and preferrably, under 150.
current owner 19 VIN 1878
Hib Halverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012   #9
XfireZ51

I like this one:

http://www.elcaminostore.com/product...16356/image/0/
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012   #10
bans25

My buddy has this one and likes it.. I was going to order it and saw this post.. Now that I look at them, they look very close..

http://www.jegs.com/i/Professional%2...0002/-1?CT=999