ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > Off Topic > Review/Evaluation

Old 10-26-2021   #1
rush91

Default Re: The king is dead. Long live the King.

Well this makes our cars more special... I think when mentioning this new motor and the DOHC, they will say something like "not since the LT5 of 1990 -1995 has a DOHC engine been in a Corvette"......... Reminding people they have done it before but not since. It was truly a technical achievement back in the 80s, and this new LT6 is just that now. What GMs engineers have done with this new DOHC motor is just insane!!
rush91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021   #2
XfireZ51

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush91 View Post
Well this makes our cars more special... I think when mentioning this new motor and the DOHC, they will say something like "not since the LT5 of 1990 -1995 has a DOHC engine been in a Corvette"......... Reminding people they have done it before but not since. It was truly a technical achievement back in the 80s, and this new LT6 is just that now. What GMs engineers have done with this new DOHC motor is just insane!!
As a Registry Board member, this was the premise for my position regarding the expansion of the Registry to include subsequent generations. The Z06 is not a ZR1, BUT the lineage and bloodlines between the C4 Z and now the C8 have been established. And as u have pointed out, a world class DOHC V8 in this latest generation now will bring the rightful spotlight to the first Corvette to ever be powered by one. I believe the price movement we are jow seeing in the C4 ZR has been in anticipation of this by savvy collectors.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021   #3
carter200

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
As a Registry Board member, this was the premise for my position regarding the expansion of the Registry to include subsequent generations. The Z06 is not a ZR1, BUT the lineage and bloodlines between the C4 Z and now the C8 have been established. And as u have pointed out, a world class DOHC V8 in this latest generation now will bring the rightful spotlight to the first Corvette to ever be powered by one. I believe the price movement we are jow seeing in the C4 ZR has been in anticipation of this by savvy collectors.

BS....... the banner on top of the page says it all:

ZR-1 Registry Keeping the legend alive.

Nuff said!

LT5 Reg# 868 *RIP*
ZR1NET Founding Mem #155
carter200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021   #4
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
Thats kinda sad. I'm a member here because this club is devoted to the C4 ZR-1. The more it gets watered down, the less interest I will have in keeping my membership.
It might not seem so to you, but the C4 Zr-1 is special enough to deserve it's own forum and it's own club.

"All Corvettes are red. The rest are mistakes." - John Heinricy
Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021   #5
HAWAIIZR-1

Default The king is dead. Long live the King.

The Z06 and LT6 should not be in C4 ZR-1 Technical or General topics and should be discussed in OFF TOPIC if anything. The innovation and relation to the LT5 is cool, but I also see the Registry slowly moving away from its focus and why I have been a member for over 17 years, but no longer feel the same dedication is here.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021   #6
Curtis

Food for thought ? I also have a 91 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Built in Japan sold here for 2 years for FIA world homologation reasons for world rally car racing
Cars we?re 32 to 36k when new. 2 liter turbo awd all wheel steering leather and ground effects by AMG same people that does Mercedes Benz .I bought mine in 99 from a lot that thought it was a base model
First owners were factory executives, and people with lots of money and no logic driven by performance
I joined and later became a moderator on Galantvr4.org as the car got older we went from nasa engineers, ball brothers engineers, physics etc to 16 year old kids that had a buddy with an eagle talon or eclipse or talon that said theses could be made fast and now are worth 6 to 8k in perfect race ready condition with 30 to 40k invested running 8 and 9 second quarter mile times?.. value dropped to nothing?.. mine is apart and would need 3 of 4K to put together but parts I have car should make 800 to 1000 awd horsepower?.parts are worth 30 k so why build it?.

They got associated with the dsm cars and fell ?. This is different just a newer monster from the same corporate race shop and town but I truly believe this will hurt more than help? let these guys start an 8 gen Z06/Z07 board ?. It?s this simple I?ve been to shows where car guys will walk past a row of 20 new C8?s and say holy **** that?s a ZR1 pop the hood let me see the boat motor. I had a 12 year old in a row of exotics telling his mom the difference between a Dino and a regular Ferrari and he asked if it was mine and I told him no wish it was ?. I?d have a bunch of corvettes to buy and laughed he then asked what I?ve got I was like the white ZR1 daily driver over in the far end and him and his mom walked a 1/4 mile to see it?. It was like Christmas for us both

Exclusivity and rarity are in same strip club but not the same woman
Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021   #7
XfireZ51

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush91 View Post
Rush, to your point, a recent interaction I had with a much younger car enthusiast. There?s a nice little farmstand that I go to which involves driving some nice backroads here in Chicagoland. Nice day and took the ZR for a ride. I got out of the car and had my ZR-1 splash hat on. Once I picked up my string beans and some apple cider donuts, I walked up to pay. The young man was probably in his early 20?s. I paid for the items and then he said,
?Did you see Chevy announced the new Z06?? And he then pointed out that the new LT6 was similar to the LT5 in my ZR-1.
He was excited about it. Which is exactly what Corvette has been looking to do w the C8. A new generation ?gets? the legacy of the C4 ZR-1 and how it is the predecessor to this new generation of powerful ICE powerplants. Maybe its because many of them played Grand Theft Auto, and the C4 ZR-1 was one of the stars of that gaming era. I recall that the enthusiasm for the C4 ZR was very similar to what we now see for the LT6 powered C8. Just like the LT6, the LT5 was viewed as one of the most technologically advanced motors of its time. Everybody is talking way over sticker, just like when the C4 version came out.
Some look at this as the decline of something. I think its a rebirth w a renewed interest in what paved the way for what we have now.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote