ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 03-04-2014   #1
taximan

Default Re: Corvette Museum

I am not sure who made the decision to start up that ZR1 right after it came out of the hole. But it looks like it may have cost them an engine. They fired it up, drove away and left about 8 quarts of oil on the ground.

Why would you start up a car that had that kind of damage without checking it out on a lift first ???
1995 "Last" Admiral Blue ZR1 #438
Member # 760
NCM Lifetime member #1005
NCRS # 23110

[I][B]Sting Rays Corvette Club of Florida
Gold Coast Corvettes Club[/B][/I]
taximan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014   #2
Z51JEFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by taximan View Post
I am not sure who made the decision to start up that ZR1 right after it came out of the hole. But it looks like it may have cost them an engine. They fired it up, drove away and left about 8 quarts of oil on the ground.

Why would you start up a car that had that kind of damage without checking it out on a lift first ???
I would venture to say once the oil pressure dropped too much the motor would die,safety precaution built into the ECM.I for one was glad to hear that car start.Kind of like telling the sinkhole,kiss my @$$!
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014   #3
Hog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z51JEFF View Post
I would venture to say once the oil pressure dropped too much the motor would die,safety precaution built into the ECM.I for one was glad to hear that car start.Kind of like telling the sinkhole,kiss my @$$!
Huge advertisement having it pulled from underground and then started up and drive away. It was a GM owned car, I wouldnt be surprised if the order to start and drive away came from GM itself.

Its only an LS9 anyways. Cookie cutter engine. GM has a few thousand laying around.

If any fuel injected car starts, that means it has oil pressure. Its a safety feature for a potential crash site. No oil pressure kicks out the fuel pumps, if it didnt an over turned or wrecked car's fuel pump would empty its fuel tank onto the ground. No oil pressure, no fuel pressure, less fire risk to 1st aiders, not to save the engine itself.

ZR-1 Net Registry Member #1494
Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014   #4
XfireZ51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog View Post
Huge advertisement having it pulled from underground and then started up and drive away. It was a GM owned car, I wouldnt be surprised if the order to start and drive away came from GM itself.

Its only an LS9 anyways. Cookie cutter engine. GM has a few thousand laying around.

If any fuel injected car starts, that means it has oil pressure. Its a safety feature for a potential crash site. No oil pressure kicks out the fuel pumps, if it didnt an over turned or wrecked car's fuel pump would empty its fuel tank onto the ground. No oil pressure, no fuel pressure, less fire risk to 1st aiders, not to save the engine itself.
Hog,

I think you are correct. Something tells me that scene will find its way into a commercial. Takes a licking and comes up ticking.
My 84 had an oil pressure switch by distributor that completed circuit for fuel pump. Wow! That's 30 years ago.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014   #5
Hog

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
Hog,

I think you are correct. Something tells me that scene will find its way into a commercial. Takes a licking and comes up ticking.
My 84 had an oil pressure switch by distributor that completed circuit for fuel pump. Wow! That's 30 years ago.
Wow, 30 years ago, it doesnt seem that long ago.

My fleet of 1997-98 Vortec 350 L31 trucks are some of the last distributer equipped vehicles, 2002-2003 vans were the last. These L31 engines use teh same high voltage coils that the LT1/LT4;'s use, and they eat distributer caps/rotors. I change them every year and actually notice seat of the pants power improvements. Such a high voltage cannabalizes the contact points. Its one of the reasons that GM went with CNP in 1997 in the LS1. The 1st BBC to go CNP was the 1998 L21 which is pretty much a Vortec 454 but with CNP(Coil Near Plugs) and ETC(electronic Throttle control) then for MY2000 the L18 8.1 496 GEN 7 BBC came about.

IIRC there is an oil pressure/fuel pump switch on the drivers side of the
block on the 1996-1999 GMT 400(88-98) GM trucks.

ZR-1 Net Registry Member #1494
Hog is offline   Reply With Quote