ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 01-02-2011   #31
-=Jeff=-

Default Re: Oil in injector housing?

550-013 is a concave steel plug.. might buy those if I can get them local to see if they will fit, although I need to pull the IH off first..
min of
EDIT: Rock auto has the 550-013 for .20ea but sold in a pack of 10 for $2.00
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - 3" Magnaflow Bullet cats - LT4 Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978

Last edited by -=Jeff=-; 01-02-2011 at 11:47 AM.
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011   #32
tomtom72

Okay, I'll buy them from rock auto and let you know the results, okay? Unless you don't want to wait one me?

I just ordered them & the rest of my spring parts.
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member

Last edited by tomtom72; 01-02-2011 at 12:07 PM.
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011   #33
-=Jeff=-

let me know, my car is together, if they don't work I might just port my OEM stuff and get it PC'ed to match what I have.. let me know how it works
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
Old 01-02-2011   #34
tomtom72

Okay, I placed the order this afternoon. I will let you know the results as soon as I get the parts. I hope this works. The only other thing I can think to do is ask Carter if he would be interested in making something. I'd send him my 91 I/H's so there would be no blowing the measurements on my part.

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
Old 01-03-2011   #35
A26B

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom72 View Post

Tom

Jeff, the hole that is completely "pluged" is the coolant passage in the I/H that exits coolant from the block thru the I/H and then into the tubes.
Tom,

If I'm understanding you correctly, you are referring to the 3rd crankcase vent hole in the injector housings, the other two being completely open or with "washer baffles for the 90 MY.

If so, although it is directly below the coolant outlet passage on the side, it is NOT a coolant passage and DOES NOT "exits coolant from the block thru the I/H and then into the tubes." It is a crankcase vent, just like the other 2, except that it is plugged off in the 90MY. The coolant from the block goes through a passage located between the front 2 cylinders intake ports on each bank.

In that regard, I'm at a loss to offer a reason for the 90 MY front, 3rd vent port being plugged with a solid washer. Adding to the mystery, when the washers were eliminated for subsequent models, the same vent port is open in the inj hsng and the hole is drilled in the corresponding cyl head area.

I think if it were me, with late model inj housings on a 90, I would put "drilled" washers in all crank case vent ports. If they opened it up completely in all years after the 90, then it seems a logical thing to do.
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011   #36
tomtom72

Jerry, Thank you. My ignorance was showing....again.

I saved the e-mail to my pc so I will not loose this info. My 90 I/H's are still on the car. I have the 91 I/H's in my shop, but have not looked at them in a while.

I guess my next Q is did they leave the 3rd hole in the head open on a 90 block? Or do I have to do some drilling? I am going to go look in the FSM, again.....I did when I unpacked the 91 stuff two yrs ago, and my heart sank when I discovered that all I/H's are not the same. I just don't seem to remember the FSM being of much help in this department.

Again, I thank you for sharing the light!

Tom

Jeff, I got shipping confirmation late yesterday from Rock Auto. Should be by the end of this week or early next week on delivery.
Old 01-04-2011   #37
A26B

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom72 View Post
I guess my next Q is did they leave the 3rd hole in the head open on a 90 block? Or do I have to do some drilling?
Tom
Yes, all the vent pasages in the cyl head are open in all year model engines, big hole in the 90 models, small hole in the 91~95. No mods to the head required.
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011   #38
tomtom72

Thanks Jerry!

And now Jeff....guess what came today? That's the good news!

Now for the bad news, they are too small. However, if you apply some judicious compressive force to the product you can make it fit. I suggest the use of a flat bit of steel stock and a ball hammer. You need to flatten out the cup to a flatter shape to expand the diameter.

It requires a bit of hammering and if you flatten it too much you use the ball to make the cup come back. Thru trial & error ( mostly error ) I was able to get one to fit reasonably well in about 10 minutes. It will take some more work but I do believe these freeze plugs have a future in my I/H's.

Tom
Old 01-05-2011   #39
-=Jeff=-

how much space is there?

maybe a slight bigger one will work
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
Old 01-05-2011   #40
tomtom72

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Jeff=- View Post
how much space is there?

maybe a slight bigger one will work
piece of cake! All mine are in & all have a 1/4" holes in them! Just get the plug and flatten them a bit. I suppose that if we started looking at the ones rated in mm's we could have found a better match?

All I know is mine are in, took me 1/2 an hour after work today.

Hey, Mr. Downey, umm Sir...umm is a 1/4" hole enough or should I go to 5/16"?

TIA!!!