ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > Cleaning and Waxing

Old 01-11-2010   #41
Dylan@Adams

Default Re: Engine Cleaning

Yep I'm in Rancho Cucamonga.

You could always come out to our detail clinic at Stillen Performance... I'll be posting the info here tomorrow.
Old 01-06-2015   #42
lfalzarano

Actually, any clearcoat safe polishing compound will remove the dirt and stains. Just do small sections at a time and then when you are done, use Maguire's NXT Generation® Tech Wax® 2.0 to make it shine. Carnauba wax will yellow from the heat Same trick goes for your polished wheels
lfalzarano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015   #43
Bob Eyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfalzarano View Post
Actually, any clearcoat safe polishing compound will remove the dirt and stains. Just do small sections at a time and then when you are done, use Maguire's NXT Generation® Tech Wax® 2.0 to make it shine. Carnauba wax will yellow from the heat Same trick goes for your polished wheels
Thanks, That's probably what I'll do. I went to the Adam's website to order the product, but it wouldn't let me order just one bottle.

At 19.95 a bottle I didn't want to spend $40.00 just to try their product.

I'll buy a clearcoat safe compound off the shelf.
Bob Eyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017   #44
Flyman 27

Anyone trying this? Polishing your engine?
Recently I found a product called "RamRodz". They are like Q-Tips on steroids. They are intended as gun cleaning tools, but they work excellently for polishing hard to reach engine parts.
They range in size from .17 inch dia. up to 1/2 inch dia. They use bamboo sticks that are quite flexible to get into tight places, but strong enough to not break easily. A full selection box contains 680 swabs, so you have enough to last a long time.
I have found many uses for these.
Flyman 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017   #45
Tripler

Quote:
Originally Posted by QB93Z View Post
When I did my engine, it took me about six hours. I removed both front wheels to be able to stand closer to the engine. But, bending over for that long ruined my back and it took about a week to get to where I could move comfortably again. So be careful and take stretching breaks.

Jim
I believe this is were the BL5000 Quick Jack would be perfect . I used it when replacing the window stop on the passenger side of our Z . What a back and knee saver .
I will be using it to clean the engine also . Thanks for the tips Jim and of course Dylan from Adams products also .

Last edited by Tripler; 06-02-2017 at 08:22 AM.
Tripler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017   #46
Z51JEFF

I've found that using anything with abrasives will change the finish anywhere you use it.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017   #47
90C4ZR1

Just cleaned my LT5 engine to a like new clean with Arm and Hammer Extreme White Toothpaste. About 3 hours labor, 1/2 tube of toothpaste, 1 brush, and a pint spray bottle of water. Going to check out the Maguires NXT wax.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
90C4ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017   #48
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlr8nflorida View Post
I use Toothpaste and distilled water.
Cleans my LT-5 right up and it smells minty fresh
Then I hand dry it with towel and leaf blower to be safe.
A tooth Paste User.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90C4ZR1 View Post
Just cleaned my LT5 engine to a like new clean with Arm and Hammer Extreme White Toothpaste. About 3 hours labor, 1/2 tube of toothpaste, 1 brush, and a pint spray bottle of water. Going to check out the Maguires NXT wax.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
A second Tooth Paste User......

Welcome to the Registry Forum 90C4ZR1

Guess we know what you are driving

I have Number 3032 the last 1990 sold to the public

Last edited by Dynomite; 07-07-2017 at 05:52 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017   #49
90C4ZR1

I used Arm and Hammer Extreme Whitening Toothpaste to clean my LT5 to show room look. I used a toothbrush originally, but on doing touchup I used a microfiber cloth on my finger tip, dipped in water, and a dab of toothpaste. Man I was really surprised how good it looks. I rub a bit and spray with water from a spray bottle and dry. Although the toothbrush did the original work, I prefer the microfiber wrapped on my finger. You can actually see the oxidation removed on the cloth. Took me about 3.5 hours of love and labor.
90C4ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017   #50
SAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90C4ZR1 View Post
I used Arm and Hammer Extreme Whitening Toothpaste to clean my LT5 to show room look. I used a toothbrush originally, but on doing touchup I used a microfiber cloth on my finger tip, dipped in water, and a dab of toothpaste. Man I was really surprised how good it looks. I rub a bit and spray with water from a spray bottle and dry. Although the toothbrush did the original work, I prefer the microfiber wrapped on my finger. You can actually see the oxidation removed on the cloth. Took me about 3.5 hours of love and labor.
Did the finish on the motor darken up after you used the toothpaste?
SAB is offline   Reply With Quote