ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-05-2024   #1
ZBrink

Default Solution for B&B Exhaust Drone?

My new-to-me 1990 has the old style Billy Boat exhaust and the drone is absolutely unbearable for me at all cruising speeds in 6th gear (1700-2400 RPM). It currently has OEM manifolds but I plan to install Maximizer/OBX headers with either 200 or 400 cell cats.

I've learned of several ideas/concepts that have worked for other vehicles with different exhaust systems, more space etc:

1) Welding in a j-pipe or Helmholtz resonator before the mufflers; loads of videos on YouTube if you're not familiar (it's works but I'm not sure there is enough space under the vehicle for this)
2) Adding mass/weight to the exterior of the mufflers (maybe the engineers of the forum can better explain this)
3) Wrapping the mufflers in header/exhaust wrap (would this last long terms?)

This is somewhat of a budget build/restoration for me and I'm trying to do the majority of work myself with the help of WAZOO and other members. Does anyone know of any other realistic and sustainable solutions or care to comment with their knowledge on the ones I've listed above?

EDIT: Cost is a factor as the previous owner misrepresented its condition and the maintenance/repairs/restoration is starting to nickel and dime me. The previous owner powder coated the exhaust tips black to match the wheels which he also had powder coated black. If I get any different exhaust, new or used, I would also have to powder coat the tips to match the wheels.

Last edited by ZBrink; 04-07-2024 at 09:15 PM.
ZBrink is offline   Reply With Quote