ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 12-06-2011   #1
avijay

Default Oil Cooler Lines Replacement

Hey fellas,

I just finished doing this R&R and it was the FIRST maintenance item I did on my wife's new to her Z. All I can say is, reading the previous posts on this helped greatly and was very beneficial before starting. I was able to do it with minimal to zero oil leakage onto the garage floor/engine and just wanted to share how I went about doing this.

Where the lines go into the engine block I ended up taking a standard size heavy duty trash bag (empty) and basically placing it going down towards the ground with the opening encompassing both the upper and lower line bolts, when removing both bolts, whatever oil was waiting to pour out onto the floor went straight into the trash bag and never had a chance to leak on the engine block or anywhere else.

Where the oil cooler lines go into the oil cooler was a bit trickier but manageable. I ended up taking a piece of 8.5 x11" construction paper and cutting it to size narrow enough to fit and basically make a longitudinal ditch right under where the lines go into the oil cooler. Once the line was pulled there, whatever oil was able to leak basically came right to me in the valley I had created for it and was soaked up by the paper towel I wrapped the construction paper with. A total of three drops got away from me.

Anyway I know that was long winded and I should have taken pics, but just wanted to share and hopefully someone can benefit from this post as I was able to benefit from all the post before me.
1996 Grand Sport - sold
1999 C5 - sold
1969 Mustang Mach1 - sold
1991 ZR-1 - sold

2008 Z06 - current
avijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011   #2
mike100

Default Re: Oil Cooler Lines Replacement

Sounds trivial, but if you saw my car...believe me, I can appreciate your idea/solution.

Mine was leaking heavily and was carrying a qt of oil down in the radiator trough. I fixed the lines and it still leaked. Turned out to be residual leftover oil. I had to remove the radiator to clean it all out. I did get the rad and oil cooler cleaned out at the radiator shop at least when it was removed.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote