ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 02-26-2020   #11
HAWAIIZR-1

Default Custom steel tubing/re-inforcemne in the engine bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locobob View Post
I want those CF hood vents!

Hey Robert! I wonder if those are the Greenwood vents in CF wrap? I bought the Greenwood vents about 10 years ago and never installed on my 90 or my current 95. They appear to look the same. I plan to as soon as I can get back to Japan.

My friend with a 95Z in Japan has a carbon fiber hood with the vents. I’ll ask him if CF or fiberglass with CF wrap. He also told me his top is CF and he had a CF rear hatch. I thought that was strange since you can’t see out of it.

He still has the CF doors for sale with lexan windows from the dismantled Z race car he bought, but logistics prevents selling to US with shipping costs out of this world. I tried to get a US govt friend to put in household goods when returning the (Texas) US last Jan, but he has to move quickly and didn’t want to mess with it. I had the opportunity to bring them to Hawaii with my household goods, but didn’t want to be stuck with them and hard to ship from here too.

IMG_5180.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020   #12
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.hafsmo View Post
Those West Racing Z's are some beastly creations. I'd considere give my left nut for one. Which says a bit, as I usually hate massive F&F spoilers.

These body-kits are no longer to be found - yes?

My friend and I were supposed to do a visit to West Racing last year but I moved to Hawaii temporarily. I am simply amazed at what some
have done with our Zs over there. I’m really curious to know how many were actually exported there. If the kits can be found like my front bumper I restored, they are cost prohibitive to ship to US other than a military or government civilian household goods when returning to the US. I found a bumper like mine and tried to ship to a Z owner, but the shipping was going to be ridiculous.

Here is another unique one I ran into at an event. I couldn’t find the owner but my friend knew he it was and interview him for Dave’s HOB article couple of years ago.

IMG_3877.JPGIMG_3880.JPG

Old 02-26-2020   #13
Pete

Default Re: Custom steel tubing/re-inforcemne in the engine bay.

Craig can you find out what the weight savings is on the CF hood.
Thanks
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWAIIZR-1 View Post
Hey Robert! I wonder if those are the Greenwood vents in CF wrap? I bought the Greenwood vents about 10 years ago and never installed on my 90 or my current 95. They appear to look the same. I plan to as soon as I can get back to Japan.

My friend with a 95Z in Japan has a carbon fiber hood with the vents. I’ll ask him if CF or fiberglass with CF wrap. He also told me his top is CF and he had a CF rear hatch. I thought that was strange since you can’t see out of it.

He still has the CF doors for sale with lexan windows from the dismantled Z race car he bought, but logistics prevents selling to US with shipping costs out of this world. I tried to get a US govt friend to put in household goods when returning the (Texas) US last Jan, but he has to move quickly and didn’t want to mess with it. I had the opportunity to bring them to Hawaii with my household goods, but didn’t want to be stuck with them and hard to ship from here too.

Attachment 11368

'91 #1635 PoloGreen 350 LT5
11.09 @ 129.27
11.04 @ 128.86
474RWHP 400RWTQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFNFOhGGlR4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlRIOMwaDYY
https://sites.google.com/site/peteszr1garage
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020   #14
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post

Thanks

Pete

Will do Pete! I’ll get back to you.

I still want to kick myself in the *** for not buying the Black Dog Speed Shop CF hood and shipping to Japan in 2016 with my household goods. [emoji22]

Old 02-27-2020   #15
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locobob View Post
I want those CF hood vents!

Robert, My friend said that he got it from West Racing and believes they had carbon fiber made from Greenwood molds. No wonder it looks the same. I can’t imagine the weight difference is much for a small part?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post

Thanks

Pete

Sorry Pete, it was so long ago he can’t recall the weight, but I remember when I met him and felt open/close it seemed very light. His hood is from West Racing; they hardly show any C4 parts now. Not sure how it compares to Exotic Muscle’s 28 lb and Blackdog Speed Shop’s 26 lb hoods. It seemed thin, no struts and use hood pins. Photos somewhere on my computer. Same guy with the Motec ignition from the parted out race car.

Old 02-27-2020   #16
S.hafsmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWAIIZR-1 View Post
My friend and I were supposed to do a visit to West Racing last year but I moved to Hawaii temporarily. I am simply amazed at what some
have done with our Zs over there. I’m really curious to know how many were actually exported there. If the kits can be found like my front bumper I restored, they are cost prohibitive to ship to US other than a military or government civilian household goods when returning to the US. I found a bumper like mine and tried to ship to a Z owner, but the shipping was going to be ridiculous.

Here is another unique one I ran into at an event. I couldn’t find the owner but my friend knew he it was and interview him for Dave’s HOB article couple of years ago.
Too bad I didn't know of this back in the day when I worked on the Wilhelmsen Car Carriers. I could've brought as many body kits to the US as you'd like, for free. Japan was the last stop in Asia before turning east across the pasific to California, then through the Panama Canal and up the US east coast.
Old 02-27-2020   #17
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.hafsmo View Post
Too bad I didn't know of this back in the day when I worked on the Wilhelmsen Car Carriers. I could've brought as many body kits to the US as you'd like, for free. Japan was the last stop in Asia before turning east across the pasific to California, then through the Panama Canal and up the US east coast.

That would have been awesome! Not sure the demand, but I have seen people in the US wanting unique designs from there. Just the same I have people asking me to export some cars like the Skyline R32 GT-R to the US. I might consider exporting cars when I retire. The tax tariffs are so high for anything imported to Japan so I see why they made all their own body parts and other innovative parts for our cars. I’m still trying to figure out a way to get the carbon fiber doors to the US for the Z member that inquired.

Last edited by HAWAIIZR-1; 02-27-2020 at 12:24 PM.