ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 03-13-2014   #1
fletchusmc

Default SCCA SOLO

I'm going to be running my Z for the first time in an SCCA solo event the end of the month. I've run my 87 a few times and had a blast. Any words of advice from any of you that may have run yours before?
fletchusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014   #2
8cam

Default Re: SCCA SOLO

I'll be running mine this spring too. Long time solo-2 participant and I actually got to run a modified C4 once or twice, but the ZR-1 will be a first. I'll be happy to trade tips!
'90 ZR-1 #1322 Daily Driver, 64k and counting
Black/Gray
[IMG]http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb49/mlitherland/IMG_0326_zps3d50d8cb.jpg[/IMG]
8cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014   #3
PhillipsLT5

watch engine & oil temp
do not keep RPM at 5.5 to 6K or above for more than 30 secs
PhillipsLT5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014   #4
Tyler Townsley

Do a search on overheating and thermostat functions. Do not run the car until you have read and understand how the radiator bypass system works and why GM installed it on the lt 5.

Tyler
68 Torch Red
88 ZR1 Blue
90 ZR1 White
Tyler Townsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014   #5
fletchusmc

Thanks for the advice. Only have 1 event near here. I don't foresee any extended high rpm's as it's a fairly small course, usually about a minute in length. If you search YouTube for Caro-vettes will give you an idea of how it is laid out. With my 87 it's a bit long to stay in 1st the entire course. I think with it some 3.07 gears would help quite a bit with second gear. I've run it in BSP and kept swapping first and second place with a Saturn Sky Red line turbo. He was on stickier tires than my Sumitomo's. Running the ZR-1 in BS which right now also has my buddy's 93 and some Honda 2000's and Subaru STI entered. I'm running NT555's on the back and Pilot Sports on the front. I don't plan on getting deep into the autocross but for me just learning how it feels and what its limits are without killing too many cones is the definition of a really fun weekend!
Old 03-15-2014   #6
BigJohn

Don't forget the brakes!!!!!!!!
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014   #7
fletchusmc

So I'm only 4 months behind on posting an update as to how this went! Had a blast as usual Saturday was one of their school days and it rained all day. Was very surprising as to how well they actually do in the rain. I'm sure this being on the flightline helped as it is a different surface than a parking lot or a road. Sunday we had no rain but it was cold and windy. Some differences I noticed in the ZR-1 vice the 87- The 87 has quicker steering, the weight difference is noticeable, and the ZR-1 feels like it's easier to catch when the rear end starts deciding it wants to be in the front! For the summer event my daughter drove in her first one so we didn't take the ZR-1. Planning on running it again in September for the next one. What we did for June's event though was swapped the ZR-1 wheels over to the 87. Those 315's made a heck of a difference on the back. After the weekend she decided the next thing we need to do is get bigger wheels and tires for it permanently. Anyway, got a video of one of my more exciting and last runs of the weekend. I could tell after watching the video I definitely keep my left foot right on top of the brake. Pretty sure not enough to actually apply anything except the brake lights though.
http://vid1342.photobucket.com/album...ps05aaf9aa.mp4

Last edited by fletchusmc; 07-17-2014 at 07:46 PM. Reason: video
Old 07-17-2014   #8
emmvette

Thanks for sharing - looks like you had a blast. The ZR-1's are a lot of fun!
Old 07-18-2014   #9
batchman

C4's benefit hugely from an alignment with seemingly wacky specs - it's really the factory specs that are wacky (seemingly lawyer induced). I've posted my thoughts before LMK if you want to pursue, or search my posts.

Lowering also helps, as does tire footprint, springs (start w/z51), and the quick steering rack. The z51 front control arm bushings are much better too but pretty hard to find - once you have and use grip the stock zr-1 lca bushings won't last long.

Don't know how I missed this post the first time around, I think I don't always make it into the General section!

Glad you had fun, I never imagined there would be something that could make me glad to get up early in the AM .

Cheers,
- Jeff
[I]91 ZR-1 #1840, autocrossing in SCCA BSP. FIC S/S's
DRM chip/Watson/Borla/lid/LW batt&headlights,
springs, shocks, pads & lines, quick rack & Turn One,
camber brace, 32/22mm sways, A/C halfway deleted
17x11 & 12 CCW's, 315 & 335 Hoosier A6s

[/I]
batchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014   #10
8cam

Looks like you had a great time! I took my daughter to her first autocross last weekend and she loved it, and is shopping Miatas now. I didn't run the Z this time (took the 308 instead), but the next event is in early August and I'll run it then. Should be a blast.
'90 ZR-1 #1322 Daily Driver, 64k and counting
Black/Gray
[IMG]http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb49/mlitherland/IMG_0326_zps3d50d8cb.jpg[/IMG]
8cam is offline   Reply With Quote