Pirelli 4 1.26%
Sumitomo 36 11.36%
Vredestein 20 6.31%
Yokohama 4 1.26%
Voters: 317. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-07-2014   #121
KILLSHOTS

Default Re: Which brand of street tires are you running on

Anybody ever taken a look at the Toyo Proxes R888? I know it's a "competition" street tire with a very low tread rating and so it would only be good for us guys who don't drive our Zs much. BUT, has anyone taken a look at a pic of it? The shape is like a drag tire; it looks EXACTLY like an Eagle F1...TOTALLY unlike the rounded shape of Sumi, Nitto, Michelin, etc.

Any thoughts on the shape and the extra width it might impart?
KILLSHOTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015   #122
8cam

I just want to say that the Nittos really suck. I can't WAIT for them to wear out and get replaced...and I might not wait for it. Autocross wasn't bad, but I was definitely limited by the tires, just not gripping real well, although the slides were easy enough to catch.

But if the road is even slightly damp, they have nothing at all. I know the LT5 puts down a lot of power, but I have to be extremely careful and delicate with the throttle to avoid spinning the rears. There's a place near my house where it's a right turn, off-camber, uphill road (extreme example I'll grant) and when I make that right turn, I can't climb the hill at more than about 10mph or the rears just slide out from under me. It's almost comical if it wasn't so annoying. I swear I've driven R-compounds that work better in the wet.

Driving home a couple weeks ago, it was 200 miles straight in a downpour. Most of the time I had to stay in the right lane getting my doors blown off by every Prius on the road, because any faster and I hydroplaned badly. Worst tires in the rain I've ever experienced.
'90 ZR-1 #1322 Daily Driver, 64k and counting
Black/Gray
[IMG]http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb49/mlitherland/IMG_0326_zps3d50d8cb.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by 8cam; 01-18-2015 at 08:28 AM.
8cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015   #123
We Gone

You can't beat the Goodyear"s in the wet.

1990 Steel Blue/Black #2355
1990 Red/Red #1473
1991 Quasar /Black #118 Sold
1991 Turquoise/Black #766 Parted Out
1993 Yellow/White #179 Sold
1990 Black/Gray #1361 Headers/4:10s Sold
We Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015   #124
XfireZ51

I cannot say the same thing about my Invo's. They handle the wet fine.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015   #125
bradley

I just bought nitto nto5s for my car but haven't driven on them yet . on bill boudreaus corvette they are awesome gripping tires . in the wet he said they were surprisingly good.
bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015   #126
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8cam View Post
I just want to say that the Nittos really suck. I can't WAIT for them to wear out and get replaced...and I might not wait for it. Autocross wasn't bad, but I was definitely limited by the tires, just not gripping real well, although the slides were easy enough to catch.

But if the road is even slightly damp, they have nothing at all. I know the LT5 puts down a lot of power, but I have to be extremely careful and delicate with the throttle to avoid spinning the rears. There's a place near my house where it's a right turn, off-camber, uphill road (extreme example I'll grant) and when I make that right turn, I can't climb the hill at more than about 10mph or the rears just slide out from under me. It's almost comical if it wasn't so annoying. I swear I've driven R-compounds that work better in the wet.

Driving home a couple weeks ago, it was 200 miles straight in a downpour. Most of the time I had to stay in the right lane getting my doors blown off by every Prius on the road, because any faster and I hydroplaned badly. Worst tires in the rain I've ever experienced.
Yours is a curious review! My experience has been pretty much just the exact opposite. I've got the 555 and the 555r combo, and have nothing but nice to say about them. So, I wonder what is going on with your tires? Interesting, to say the least. (BTW, I have a video my wife Ami took on the mountain run last year where we took a flat (if not slightly negateive) camber turn at pretty close to a G. NO skidding...not even a squeal.

And, on Wednesday near Bowling Green, we got caught in rain like someone pouring water out of a boot. Yeah, I had to slow to about 45 mph because the wipers wouldn't keep up. But, no hydroplaning that I noticed, anyway.

Just sayin...

What is the date code on those tires of yours??

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015   #127
8cam

I haven't checked the date code, but I'll do that when I head home this afternoon. That 200 miles was all interstate highway, about half on concrete and half on asphalt. The concrete was the worst, bad draining and standing water made it like a skating rink. I could run 60mph when people around me were doing 70 with ease, and there were times when I slowed it to 50 due to spinning rears and sliding fronts. Getting to the asphalt section was an incredible relief, much better drainage and traction.

Just playing with the throttle on a damp road gets wheelspin in 2nd and 3rd, without really trying. I mean maybe 1/3 throttle, not like I'm even hitting it hard. I'll check the tires this afternoon and see exactly what I've got, but I'm saving my pennies for Michelins.
Black/Gray
[IMG]http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb49/mlitherland/IMG_0326_zps3d50d8cb.jpg[/IMG]
Old 01-19-2015   #128
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8cam View Post
I haven't checked the date code, but I'll do that when I head home this afternoon. That 200 miles was all interstate highway, about half on concrete and half on asphalt. The concrete was the worst, bad draining and standing water made it like a skating rink. I could run 60mph when people around me were doing 70 with ease, and there were times when I slowed it to 50 due to spinning rears and sliding fronts. Getting to the asphalt section was an incredible relief, much better drainage and traction.

Just playing with the throttle on a damp road gets wheelspin in 2nd and 3rd, without really trying. I mean maybe 1/3 throttle, not like I'm even hitting it hard. I'll check the tires this afternoon and see exactly what I've got, but I'm saving my pennies for Michelins.
I had the Goodyear 'D3s on it before. They were very good, even when wet. But, as a dragrace tire, they weren't so good, and when it was at/below 40 degrees, they were like you're describing. But, in all fairness, they arn't intended to be a winter tire. Which brings up another question, if you don't mind me asking: @ what temps do you tires skid?

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry

Last edited by Paul Workman; 01-19-2015 at 08:41 AM.
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015   #129
tomtom72

Hi 8cam, I read your first post about your Nitto experience with great interest as I was considering them as an alternative to the pricier PS series & the G/Yr D3 tires.

May I ask which Nittos you are using? Your review sounds as if you have the NT05 series? I have a few C5 buddies that use the Invo and they seem to have no complaints on the Invos in the wet.....but then everybody has different expectations as to what a wet tire should perform like. That's why I just bite the bullet and fork over the cash for the D3's...and I don't drag race so that's not an issue for me.

To be sure, with the D3's ambient temp. road temp & tire age is for sure a factor. I'm on my third set of D3's and I can tell you if they get to 5 yrs old they are about done, and they ain't kidding about that 40* thing either & tread temp too. However, in defense of G/Yr, I have to say they are upfront at their web site when they tell you all of those negatives so you can decide if you want to play at their price level. Oh, and they will wake up the dead in the dry!! LOL The most difficult thing I've found about buying tires is trying to time my purchase when I know I will get a fresh set. Not some set that has been sitting in a warehouse for 3 yrs.

Tom
P.S. I feel for ya! There ain't nothing worse than a set of tires that under perform your expectations.....cash is cash and it stings!
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015   #130
8cam

Temperature is a good point. It's definitely been in the cold, and I believe that long drive was mostly in the 40s, really a miserable drive in every way. Normally I love road trips but that one was no fun.

I had to go check. They are NT555 and are dated Feb 2013, so they aren't really that old. Must be temp related.
Black/Gray