ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 07-04-2023   #1
tiegsd

Default '90 ZR-1 brake refurbish options

All,

I'm looking at options to refurbish (preferred) and/or upgrade my brakes (1990). She has about 57 kmi, and (as far as I'm aware) original stock rotors and calipers. I have original wheels, which I plan to keep (just got new tires for them). I'm pretty easy on my Z, don't do trackdays, just normal street driving with the occasional zip around some twisties.

options I see so far:

1. Hunt down already refurbished stock calipers and just replace my originals. This seems like the most expeditious option if I can find the right calipers. A little more expensive than refurbishing my old ones I'd think, but I expect it would save a bunch of time and aggravation.

2. Find a refurb kit and refurb my originals. My preferred option, but unfortunately I'm not seeing any kits out there through internet searches. Least expensive, but maybe not feasible due to lack of parts?

3. See if I can dig up some 96 Grand Sport calipers. It's my understanding these are direct replacements, and would add some welcome bling. Similar to option 1 above, but maybe a little more pricey, but I'm not really budget limited per se (trying to stay under $2K if possible), just not nuts about spending a ton of money if I don't have to.

4. Find someone who can refurbish my stock calipers, and send them off to get redone. I have a Corvette restomod place in town that might be willing to do it, otherwise I'd have to go hunting for a reputable mechanic. Saves me time, and I'm not that smart on brake jobs, but time (and money) spent finding a guy might be better spent learning to do it myself (I am mechanically inclined and don't mind getting dirty).

5. Find an aftermarket replacement for my stock units that work with original wheels. Most expensive, but maybe best in the long run?

I've read through a lot of the brake related posts in the forum archives, but it seems few of them address restoration of the originals. Maybe for good reason?

I plan to upgrade my brake lines to braided as well, since those are probably original and might as well while I'm in there.

Not particularly concerned with keeping everything all original. My car is a driver, lots of wear and tear.

In any event, would like to get some suggestions, thoughts, tips, alternatives if anyone is willing to offer them. Not the most experienced car mechanic, but don't mind learning, and have (or can obtain) the tools needed to do the work myself.

Thanks in advance.
1990 Black/Black ZR-1 #1155
1993 White/Red coupe (Regrettably sold)

Last edited by tiegsd; 07-04-2023 at 02:59 PM.
tiegsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023   #2
TX '90 ZR1

Default Re: '90 ZR-1 brake refurbish options

Might try Lone Star Caliper. I have used them in the past. (Back when I was actually working on projects, so it's been a few years!)
They were always a good bunch to deal with. Here's their info:
Address: 11299 I-20, Canton, TX 75103
Phone: (903) 829-8400
1990 #442
TX '90 ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023   #3
dredgeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiegsd View Post
All,

I'm looking at options to refurbish (preferred) and/or upgrade my brakes (1990). She has about 57 kmi, and (as far as I'm aware) original stock rotors and calipers. I have original wheels, which I plan to keep (just got new tires for them). I'm pretty easy on my Z, don't do trackdays, just normal street driving with the occasional zip around some twisties.

options I see so far:

1. Hunt down already refurbished stock calipers and just replace my originals. This seems like the most expeditious option if I can find the right calipers. A little more expensive than refurbishing my old ones I'd think, but I expect it would save a bunch of time and aggravation.

2. Find a refurb kit and refurb my originals. My preferred option, but unfortunately I'm not seeing any kits out there through internet searches. Least expensive, but maybe not feasible due to lack of parts?

3. See if I can dig up some 96 Grand Sport calipers. It's my understanding these are direct replacements, and would add some welcome bling. Similar to option 1 above, but maybe a little more pricey, but I'm not really budget limited per se (trying to stay under $2K if possible), just not nuts about spending a ton of money if I don't have to.

4. Find someone who can refurbish my stock calipers, and send them off to get redone. I have a Corvette restomod place in town that might be willing to do it, otherwise I'd have to go hunting for a reputable mechanic. Saves me time, and I'm not that smart on brake jobs, but time (and money) spent finding a guy might be better spent learning to do it myself (I am mechanically inclined and don't mind getting dirty).

5. Find an aftermarket replacement for my stock units that work with original wheels. Most expensive, but maybe best in the long run?

I've read through a lot of the brake related posts in the forum archives, but it seems few of them address restoration of the originals. Maybe for good reason?

I plan to upgrade my brake lines to braided as well, since those are probably original and might as well while I'm in there.

Not particularly concerned with keeping everything all original. My car is a driver, lots of wear and tear.

In any event, would like to get some suggestions, thoughts, tips, alternatives if anyone is willing to offer them. Not the most experienced car mechanic, but don't mind learning, and have (or can obtain) the tools needed to do the work myself.

Thanks in advance.
Sent you a PM

1992 Bright Red/Black ZR1 #246
Dana 4:10 gears
Polished LT5 by Haibeck
Polished Fikse FM5's with Michelin Pilot Sport 2
Stainless Works headers and cats with Corsa
dredgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023   #4
WARP TEN

There are quite a few more modern and perhaps radical options to improve brake performance, but I used the one of the simpler approaches--albeit a long time ago. When I had my '93 in the late '90s, I felt my brake pedal feel wasn't right, a little soft. I had Marc upgrade my calipers to the newer GS calipers which he said had a bit stiffer castings than the stock ZR-1 calipers and would improve pedal feel. At the same time I replaced the stock rubber brake lines with braided ones I believe from DRM. I felt the changes improved brake feel. On the '95 I did not need to change the calipers. --Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"

Last edited by WARP TEN; 07-06-2023 at 09:59 AM.
WARP TEN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023   #5
tiegsd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX '90 ZR1 View Post
Might try Lone Star Caliper. I have used them in the past. (Back when I was actually working on projects, so it's been a few years!)
They were always a good bunch to deal with. Here's their info:
Address: 11299 I-20, Canton, TX 75103
Phone: (903) 829-8400
Thanks. Wasn't aware of them.

Old 07-05-2023   #6
tiegsd

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARP TEN View Post
There are quite a few more modern and perhaps radical options to improve brake performance, but I used the one of the simpler approaches--albeit a long time ago. When I had my '93 in the late '90s, I felt my brake pedal feel wasn't right, a little soft. I had Marc upgrade my calipers to the newer GS calipers which he said had a bit stiffer castings that the stock ZR-1 calipers and would improve pedal feel. At the same time I replaced the stock rubber brake lines with braided ones I believe from DRM. I felt the changes improved brake feel. On the '95 I did not need to change the calipers. --Bob
Rgr. This seems to be a popular option, with good results. Wasn't having much luck finding GS calipers with internet search, but not ruling it out. Did you do front and rears, and do you recall any issues with parking brake hookup?

Thanks for your response.

Old 07-05-2023   #7
Mystic ZR-1

Another vote for Lone Star Caliper.
You can get them powder coated red!
They're the supplier of rebuilt calipers to most if not all of the Corvette parts houses.
Stainless hydraulic lines and good pads are a good idea.
Drilled and slotted 2 piece cities are good too!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_1339.jpeg (29.1 KB, 38 views)
Mystic ZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023   #8
WARP TEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiegsd View Post
Rgr. This seems to be a popular option, with good results. Wasn't having much luck finding GS calipers with internet search, but not ruling it out. Did you do front and rears, and do you recall any issues with parking brake hookup?

Thanks for your response.
You are severely testing my memory but I believe we only did the front calipers. They do most of the work anyway.You might try Mirrock Corvette parts for the GS calipers. They are about 45 minutes east of Pittsburgh. --Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"

Last edited by WARP TEN; 07-06-2023 at 10:04 AM.
WARP TEN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023   #9
tiegsd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic ZR-1 View Post
Another vote for Lone Star Caliper.
You can get them powder coated red!
They're the supplier of rebuilt calipers to most if not all of the Corvette parts houses.
Stainless hydraulic lines and good pads are a good idea.
Drilled and slotted 2 piece cities are good too!
That would be ideal, get my originals cleaned up, painted, and rebuilt. Def want new SS lines. Might have to give them a call. Thnx.

Old 07-06-2023   #10
tiegsd

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARP TEN View Post
You are severely testing my memory but I believe we only did the front calipers. They do most of the work anyway.You might try Mirrock Corvette parts for the GS calipers. They are about 45 minutes east of Pittsburgh. --Bob
Its feeling like calling a few key players will end up the way to find out what I need to know. This thread is def helping. Thnx.