Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 12-29-2021   #21
Mikey

Default Re: Weird stuttering issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Try this.
And do not over gap plugs.
They're some expensive spark plugs that our cars do not like.
Try some cheap AC Delco #41-602 $20 gap at .035.

Pete

Good advice. I only use copper plugs, none of those fancy platinum or iridium types which foul out easy if the coating on the tip comes off. Plus copper is a better conductor anyway. Just have to change them out every 10,000 miles on high performance motors. I will definitely do the plugs now. Not sure why I didn't pull them yet and inspect. I guess moving last year and losing my shop has really thrown off my routine!
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021   #22
rkreigh

I was looking at adapting an ITB setup by making a custom base and using some ls3 parts adapted to the LT5 The kits are cheap enough, and we can whittle some prototype parts out of german ply, and scan them and print them in hi temp plastic looking at a cross ram style long runner design similar to the old BB chevy stuff

With all the dollars spent at LPE on an old school bi furcation ltt intake or a fancy mono runner. An ITB would allow that big displacement to breath

Thanks Pete for continuing to innovate, I think the LT5 will catch fire when the new Z06 is out similar to how the old NSX bumped up when the new hybrid hit the streets at the high price point.

Doesn't make our cars perform any better, just makes them even more of a bargain when compared to the c8!! I see out old ZR-1 prices slowly going backup. As for me, I'm more concerned with putting more miles which = the smiles. Bank account numbers have never given me the same thrill as LT5 WOT
rkreigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021   #23
XfireZ51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
Situation:
Bought a '91 368 Corey Henderson built Z with 25K miles a few months ago. Drove it home from WI to FL. Behaved the whole way.
Once in FL I had opportunity to do a WOT run to 7100 rpm in 2nd gear. It hard stumbled (coughed) once for a split second around 3200rpm but otherwise pulled strong. Repeatable event.
Moved from FL to TN drove the car up and behaved all the way.
This morning it was 38 degrees. Leaving neighborhood in 1st gear 20-30% throttle the engine exhibited a 2hz stutter as if I was on/off throttle in the 3000-3500 rpm range. About 6 or 7 "coughs" in a row. Cleared up above 3500 rpm. Was able to repeat it immediately after but no more. Car seemed fine afterwards except for the single cough/shudder that is fairly repeatable as described above.
Seems only to do it in 1st or 2nd. Not 3rd or 4th.

I've put 3,000 miles on it with no other issues.

Thoughts?
Does this happen when easing into the throttle at that point or with a more rapidly increased amount of throttle(ie jump on it)? Is the issue worse with colder ambient temps? Where is the MAT sensor located?
3000rpm w ~ 20% TPS is where ECM goes into PE mode. I had a similar issue a couple of years ago. Crossing into 3000rpm it would seem to breakup a bit then go on. It would act like a miss.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022   #24
Mikey

Update:
Had read a story some months back about early LT5 engine failures and the discovery of a female at the plant who cold started every ZR-1 with her foot on the floor. The article didn't say anything about a cold engine rev limiter but I suspected maybe the ecu had one implemented after engineering witnessed this crazy abuse.

I had lunch with the assistant chief engineer for the C8 LT2 engine in April (I grew up with him, friends since 5yo) and neither he or his boss knew for sure about possible 2nd rev limiter back in that era. And of course my car was too warm still after lunch to replicate the cold performance symptoms.

Watch this video. At 13:30 he discusses the story I had read about and confirms indeed a second rev limiter was implemented!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Vs2tdR-9C8&t=810s
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022   #25
HAWAIIZR-1

Some believe you will have engine failure if you do not use AMSOIL!

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022   #26
XfireZ51

I don?t think there is any limiter based on coolant C vs rpm in the calibration other than fuel and SA cutoff. May be that?s what he is referring to. I believe there are limiters based on oil temps but that would be for use of secondaries. Need to revisit the calibration Mask IDs to determine for certain.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX

Last edited by XfireZ51; 09-18-2022 at 11:00 AM.
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote