ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

View Poll Results: Which coil packs do you have?
AC Delco 53 71.62%
Accel 4 5.41%
MSD 17 22.97%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-07-2022   #61
rkreigh

Default Re: Which coil pack do you have?

I know this is a very old thread, but so far I haven't seen any evidence of

1. fancy spark plugs
2. super conductor wires
3. coils that are "better" than factory

the gm stuff works and will support reliably over 700 hp so why mess with success. Over the years all the fancy msd and deamon coils seems to suffer early failure and until I see a baseline dyno, and then another one after the swap make more power, I think the stockers might be the best. But maybe the old coils are better than the crap AC delco slings out now.

I ran the fancy magnecore wires, big chunks of the silicone just fell out of the wire like it had been cut out.

The factory stuff is engineered better, and seems to light the fire just fine at even higher compression ratios. I've tried the fancy plugs, wires, coils, now I listen to Pete because he's faster than I am with a stock block

Dyno is the truth teller and cuts through the BS about what works and was doesn't MPH at the track is a good tell also

Phil, I'm glad you are running the MSD stuff, I hope it holds up. I heard bad things about the Accel, deamons, and the MSD over the years. QA on MSD and parts in general is in the tank with out of box failures being more common

In the old days of "waste spark" the coils would corrode and go south after 20-30 k miles You would notice misfires, and high boost power drop off. With high cyl pressure of the Lt5, you would think the stockers wouldn't be that great. I have 106k miles on the old 95 coil packs and I wonder if I should change them out with "new delco NOS" which seems to stand for

:"not optimum sh!t" in recent years after the many folks went to cheap manufacture at the price of quality. Me thinks the old stuff was better.
rkreigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022   #62
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

AC Delco

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022   #63
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkreigh View Post
I know this is a very old thread, but so far I haven't seen any evidence of

1. fancy spark plugs
2. super conductor wires
3. coils that are "better" than factory

the gm stuff works and will support reliably over 700 hp so why mess with success. Over the years all the fancy msd and deamon coils seems to suffer early failure and until I see a baseline dyno, and then another one after the swap make more power, I think the stockers might be the best. But maybe the old coils are better than the crap AC delco slings out now.

I ran the fancy magnecore wires, big chunks of the silicone just fell out of the wire like it had been cut out.

The factory stuff is engineered better, and seems to light the fire just fine at even higher compression ratios. I've tried the fancy plugs, wires, coils, now I listen to Pete because he's faster than I am with a stock block

Dyno is the truth teller and cuts through the BS about what works and was doesn't MPH at the track is a good tell also

Phil, I'm glad you are running the MSD stuff, I hope it holds up. I heard bad things about the Accel, deamons, and the MSD over the years. QA on MSD and parts in general is in the tank with out of box failures being more common

In the old days of "waste spark" the coils would corrode and go south after 20-30 k miles You would notice misfires, and high boost power drop off. With high cyl pressure of the Lt5, you would think the stockers wouldn't be that great. I have 106k miles on the old 95 coil packs and I wonder if I should change them out with "new delco NOS" which seems to stand for

:"not optimum sh!t" in recent years after the many folks went to cheap manufacture at the price of quality. Me thinks the old stuff was better.

I have nothing against running the factory stuff, however you're the first person I've seen who said they had problems with magnecor wires. They do come with a lifetime defect warranty. I've had a set on my RX-7 for many years with zero issues. I didn't want to run a set of "new old stock" so I decided to run a new set of magnecor wires on my Z. We'll see how the ones I have will hold up.

Last edited by Great White; 03-14-2022 at 01:17 PM.
Great White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022   #64
rkreigh

wow, didn't know the magnecore had that guarantee. I think I still have them and might see if they stand up and replace the one wire that shat the bed

no critters, I was still driving the car and it ran great but made me nervous with a chunk of the wire missing.
rkreigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022   #65
ZR1CK

BWD coils, made in the USA. Given the choice, I still prefer to spend my $ here at home, providing of course, the quality is there. My choice of plug wires were MSD. They advertise 50ohms or less per foot. I've used 'em for several years on a few of my rides, including daily drivers, and measured the ohms prior to install and many miles afterward and they still read 50ohms or less. Until just last year when I purchased a 25' roll to custom fit to my "Z", they did not measure as advertised. I checked 'em with two different meters and they both read the same. I still used 'em and the motor runs fine, I just plan on purchasing elsewhere next time.
ZR1CK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022   #66
spork2367

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZR1CK View Post
BWD coils, made in the USA. Given the choice, I still prefer to spend my $ here at home, providing of course, the quality is there. My choice of plug wires were MSD. They advertise 50ohms or less per foot. I've used 'em for several years on a few of my rides, including daily drivers, and measured the ohms prior to install and many miles afterward and they still read 50ohms or less. Until just last year when I purchased a 25' roll to custom fit to my "Z", they did not measure as advertised. I checked 'em with two different meters and they both read the same. I still used 'em and the motor runs fine, I just plan on purchasing elsewhere next time.
There is an E51 and an E51P. The E51P is clearly made in China. The E51 doesn't say, but is the better of the two specification wise.
Attached Images
File Type: png BWD.png (141.4 KB, 35 views)
spork2367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023   #67
dredgeguy

I have a misfire and emailed Marc and he said coils. When I asked which brand he said, "We use AutoZone Duralast C849. They are made by Wells and are of excellent quality".
That works for me.

1992 Bright Red/Black ZR1 #246
Dana 4:10 gears
Polished LT5 by Haibeck
Polished Fikse FM5's with Michelin Pilot Sport 2
Stainless Works headers and cats with Corsa
dredgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023   #68
-=Jeff=-

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredgeguy View Post
I have a misfire and emailed Marc and he said coils. When I asked which brand he said, "We use AutoZone Duralast C849. They are made by Wells and are of excellent quality".
That works for me.

Awesome I thought I ordered AC Delco yesterday but must not have hit complete order, so thanks to Marc for this tip, I ordered them and saved some $$ at the same time

Make sure you order qty 2 of C849-2 (it is a 2 coil kit) that is the best way to buy them, they have a 3 coil kit and then you need one more which ends up costing more
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - 3" Magnaflow Bullet cats - LT4 Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023   #69
dredgeguy

Yes, the two coil kit is a great deal, much more cost effective compared to buying the single coil.

1992 Bright Red/Black ZR1 #246
Dana 4:10 gears
Polished LT5 by Haibeck
Polished Fikse FM5's with Michelin Pilot Sport 2
Stainless Works headers and cats with Corsa
dredgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023   #70
viper107

ac delco is overated over priced parts these days
95 admiral blue z(sold)/ / 93 ruby z(sold) 91 steel blue z/95 aqua z haibeck 510, 91 callaway 415 areobody #5
viper107 is offline   Reply With Quote