ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 09-24-2013   #21
Scrrem

Default Re: So...How much does it cost to build a 380 cube ZR1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkreigh View Post
hey, are you going up to Wazzoo maint day? I'm going to try and make it.

let's caravan up if you are going. thinking of going to Katie's first and heading on up from there.

you up for it? thanks.
Yes going to maintenance day, not sure about Katie's, depends what time I roll out if the rack.
1990 Bright Red Coupe #608

380 Stroker, Ported Heads/Intake/Housings/TB
Haibeck Secondary Delete Chip / Pete's Cams
George Braml Intake / FIC Injectors
Coated SW Headers / Corsa
Bill Boudreau B/B ZF6 / Viper 4.10 gears
Ron Davis Radiator
Pioneer AVIC-Z140BH NAV
Fikse FM5's 285 / 335 / C6 Brakes

WAZOO Member
Scrrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013   #22
secondchance

Quote:
hey, are you going up to Wazzoo maint day? I'm going to try and make it.

let's caravan up if you are going. thinking of going to Katie's first and heading on up from there.

you up for it? thanks.
Ron,

I think the maintenance day is Sunday.
secondchance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013   #23
rkreigh

ok, thanks for the reminder. still think I can make it, but I need to check

like to work on the following items

headliner,
install new clutch mast cyl
tighten up the rear spindle bolts
look over installing the new cooling fans (but that will likely have to wait, might be more of a "do at home" project)
rkreigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013   #24
Kevin

I really need to set up a pittsburgh zr-1 crew.
Old 09-25-2013   #25
secondchance

Quote:
ok, thanks for the reminder. still think I can make it, but I need to check

like to work on the following items

headliner,
install new clutch mast cyl
tighten up the rear spindle bolts
look over installing the new cooling fans (but that will likely have to wait, might be more of a "do at home" project)
If you want door panel straightened out show up with plenty of crazy glue and a rubber glove (hate getting that stuff all over my fingers!). We got some glass mats.
secondchance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013   #26
rkreigh

will do! I will bring the new headliner tape and spray adhesive too

you are the man Yun! are you going to Kate's on Sat??

I got the "green light" for maintenance day
rkreigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013   #27
alnukem

You know, I tried to make this a education thread, for people new to the ZR1, like me. I felt this might be a good way for someone who was considering building up their car, to give them a place to find answers about a build that would not be as expensive & bump up the torque numbers as a alternate to standard 500 hp 350. I was thinking maybe we could "help the breed". The last 7 posts should have been handled differently, maybe "PM"????? I don't know or care if this against the forum rules, but I know it is very inconsiderate.
alnukem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013   #28
GOLDCYLON

It happens all the time as folks tend to get off on a tangent. Its nothing personal.

I plan on getting my car dynoed this winter so we can see some numbers that everyone seems to have interest in. Right now its still 105 here in phoenix so.....

This is no sales job and the facts are plain and simple. If your going to go the 368 route anyway... without a doubt this is the biggest bang for the buck mod. Its like and additional $500. Do the math.

It will cost you time unless you have a lot of spare parts to shorten that process. This stroker will benefit from top end porting, head porting, headers and petes cams. I also suggest bigger cooling which I could discuss how I came to that conclusion as well. I also suggest Mark's Haibecks Cometic Head gaskets for obvious reasons.

I partnered with Dom and between me helping him pay for some of his dyno time he has more data on the 380 with Pete Cams setup than even the BIG GUYs have. A couple of us have done it now and its becoming a predictable platform. Mine a daily driver and it took almost a year to get the tune right.

This is a build that was carried on the backs of a lot of folks in this club. Dom, Jerry, Pete, Polo-1 (Kevin). Nobody in this community was talking about a 380 a scant year ago. It was 368, 415 or 441 with one exception Dennis's atomic Z which is a 396.

One last thing if you are going to go this route make sure the crank plugs are welded in if any offset milling/grinding is going to occur. This piece of advice alone will save you time, money and utter frustration when going forward with this project.

Now back to the build notes. GC
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V

Last edited by GOLDCYLON; 09-26-2013 at 09:23 AM.
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013   #29
Scrrem

I'm getting ready to go the 380 route with an offset grind. Does the grinding process dislodge the plug in the crank??
Rich
1990 Bright Red Coupe #608

380 Stroker, Ported Heads/Intake/Housings/TB
Haibeck Secondary Delete Chip / Pete's Cams
George Braml Intake / FIC Injectors
Coated SW Headers / Corsa
Bill Boudreau B/B ZF6 / Viper 4.10 gears
Ron Davis Radiator
Pioneer AVIC-Z140BH NAV
Fikse FM5's 285 / 335 / C6 Brakes

WAZOO Member
Scrrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013   #30
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrrem View Post
I'm getting ready to go the 380 route with an offset grind. Does the grinding process dislodge the plug in the crank??
Rich

IMHO yes. The crank has a blend of the screwed in type and the pressed in type. GC recommends welding at minimum the expansion (Press in) plugs. You are changing the dynamics beyond what was engineered. Same problem when you add major HP and dont add better cooling, better rear ends and better braking. Disaster.

Read my story of woe

http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread....ighlight=motor
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V

Last edited by GOLDCYLON; 09-26-2013 at 09:54 AM.
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3.775, 380, cams, sleeves, stroker