ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 09-12-2014   #21
Hog

Default Re: About to use my Tech 1a for the first time, pointers? ---

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayscode390 View Post
I never realized that about the 94/95 Corvettes ... is that a Corvette thing only? ---
I dont believe the 95-95 being referred to as OBD1.5 is an "official" designation. I often see it referred to as such because of flash PCM's that many GM vehicles picked up in 94-95, but still hadnt adopted certain OBD2 protocols such as catalyst monitoring(after cat O2 sensor) or Misfire detection which uses a crankshaft position sensor to measure minute off-nominal crankshaft accelerations which are caused by a misfiring cylinder.

The misfire detection really comes down to catalyst protection as well, as a misfiring cylinder is potentially dumping excessive hydrocarbons into the cat(s), which will decrease catalyst efficiency and lifespan.

I do know that some of the 94-95 S-10 trucks, LT1 F-bodies and IIRC the 94 or 95 Y-bodies as well.

Tuning software between the OBD 1.5" and OBD 2 is slightly different, which is where I usually see the 1.5 to OBD 2 differentiation.

I worked on a GM assembly line in 1996 and 100% everything was OBD full flashable PCM memory. I worked beside the guy that, scanned the vehicles VIN from the buildsheet "rider"(a pice of paper that is tyaped to teh hood and "rides" the vehicle down the assembly line. After scanning the VIN, he hooked his computer up to the OBD2 port and then "flashed" the PCM with its calibration. Then his computer would run diagnostics on the PCM and other systems. This is where the term Assembly Line Diagnostic Link or ALDL originated.
As far as assembly line work went, his job certainly was preferred.

Here is verification about the 94-95 using the OBD2 port, but being wired differently than a conventional 1996+ OBD 2 connector.

The OBDI LT1 Tuning Kits are complete packages with everything you need to tune your 1994/1995 LT1 car. They allow you to read the calibration information currently stored in the car's computer, view and edit this information as needed and then program the car's computer with the modified calibration.
NOTE: While the -2 and -Y kits include cables that mate with the OBD2 style 16-pin ALDL connector, these kits do not support the 1996 - 97 LT1 cars which are OBDII vehicles. To tune these vehicles you'll need our OBDII Tuner program.

ZR-1 Net Registry Member #1494

Last edited by Hog; 09-12-2014 at 11:03 AM.
Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014   #22
Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tf95ZR1 View Post
C4 FYI:

1994-1996 were "transition years"

------
94 & 95 ZR-1's OBDI with the OBDII port.
96 LT1 & LT4 are OBDII

Thanks, Jeff!
So if I am understanding this correctly, since I have a 94, I will need the adapter that allows the Tech 1 (OBD I) to plug into an OBD II port (ALDL) that is on the 94, correct????

Side note.....my Tech 1 got delivered today, and I will be going out to the garage real soon to open it up.......it should be interesting to compare notes with all Tech I members.......

1994 ZR-1 #009 "captured test fleet car"
1974 LS4 454 Vert
1982 L83 CFI...now a retired "dd"....Sold

WAZOO Member
Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014   #23
alwayscode390

Best of luck, I hope it goes smoothly for you ---
90' ZR-1 Corvette LPE #699
alwayscode390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014   #24
Roadster

Quote:
Best of luck, I hope it goes smoothly for you ---
Thanks, wish it was.....but don't think so right now (may have bought too soon).....thinking about starting my own thread, as I don't want you to feel like I'm intruding here......so just let me know if ok with you to continue or if you prefer me to start another thread!!!

As mentioned, received mine earlier today. Went out to the garage and opened the package. Tech 1 itself is in decent shape.
Came with the following:
....Tech 1
....Tech 1 operators manual
....Tech 1 OBD II Vehicle Interface Module (VIM) part # 3000091
which is connected to Tech 1 14/12 pin VIM adapter part # 3000086 (do not use with Tech 1A)
....12 pin connector cable w/power cable for cig lighter (one unit together)
....Mass Storage Cartridge part # 3000003
on rear of cartridge...updated 12/5/94....4/10/95....3/28/96
....an 87-89 ECM cartridge (which doesn't do me any good)

I may have bought this too soon without checking exactly what I would need for both the 82 & 94.

I am assuming that I or (we) would need and could use....
VETRONIX 2001 COMPLETE DOMESTIC WITH GLOBAL OBD 2 CARTRIDGE PART #02003035 FOR MASTERTECH, TECH 1, OR TECH 1A SCAN TOOLS. IT COVERS GM 81-2001 POWERTAIN, GM 86-2001 CHASSIS, GM 88-2001 BODY

can I or (we) use the above Global cartridge in place of individual cartridges????
as I would need 81-86 ECM, 90-95 ECM, etc., etc.
any advice is appreciated......

hope this helps someone out in their quest for a Tech 1 or 1A

UPDATE......UPDATE.....

I may stand corrected on some items, waiting for a response from the seller.
I am assuming the following:
....that the Mass Storage Cartridge contains the following:
81-96 Powertrain

GM 88-96 Chassis

88-96 GM Body Systems

GM 90-96 Service Programming

GM 91-94 J/L/N ABS VI EBCM Reprogramming

if this is the case then I won't need what I thought above. Pics were sent to me of the Tech 1 displaying these items, hope that it is what it is.....

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member

Last edited by Roadster; 09-13-2014 at 11:54 AM.
Old 09-13-2014   #25
alwayscode390

No worries Tom, we can make this the Tech 1 thread

So when you open the Mass Storage, there is a menu that lets you choose between stored cartridges? Is every Mass Storage the same or do they vary? ---
Old 09-13-2014   #26
Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92whiteZ View Post
The Tech 1 is a very useful tool. Newer scan tools dont work as well for backwards compatibility.

The "Mass Storage Cartridge" is basically all the other cartridges combined like the ECM/Brakes/ABS/SIR etc.

I have the all the manuals on PDF somewhere but i think you can find them online as well. Very useful for finding out which adapter is required for each application. the adapters are critical for it work work as needed.
Reread the thread and 92whiteZ (don't know your first name) provided the answer, above in "BOLD". And since my "Mass Storage Cartridge" as been updated as stated above in my previous post, all should be good. Just have to figure out how to plug in the adapters the correct way.....

Quote:
No worries Tom, we can make this the Tech 1 thread

So when you open the Mass Storage, there is a menu that lets you choose between stored cartridges? Is every Mass Storage the same or do they vary? ---
Thanks alwayscode390, (also don't know your first name) it is appreciated.

Have not plugged my unit in yet, hopefully later today or tonight. Received a return email from the seller, who had never used the unit before, he took pics of the screen to show the different menus you can access, with the "MSC" installed. As mentioned above it looks like if we have the "MSC", that there isn't any need for the individual cartridges, which is a good thing. It appears that the most important item is that the "MSC" is updated to contain all of the said menus. I would assume there is only one "MSC" that if updated, that is all you would need. And I would imagine, that your local Chevrolet dealer could do an update for anyone who needs it done.

Hopefully Hog, (don't know your first name) and others who have experience with the Tech 1 can provide more additional info, as they have being doing.

We need a thread just for first names.......

Side note....I would also assume that the Global Cartridge mentioned in my prevoius post is the same as a "MSC".
I know, I know, I assume alot of things..........

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member

Last edited by Roadster; 09-13-2014 at 12:00 PM.
Old 09-13-2014   #27
alwayscode390

My "MSC" doesn't mention if its been updated, and this is the first I have heard of that.

I'll have to dig deeper and see if my local dealership will check it out for me ---
Old 09-13-2014   #28
Roadster

Quote:
My "MSC" doesn't mention if its been updated, and this is the first I have heard of that.

I'll have to dig deeper and see if my local dealership will check it out for me ---
The best way to do that is to power up the unit with the "MSC" installed and see what menus you get. That way you will know if your updated or not....
If you get the menus I listed then you are good, but since you have an early Z, you might not need what is in mine.

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member

Last edited by Roadster; 09-13-2014 at 01:21 PM.
Old 09-13-2014   #29
alwayscode390

I'll see what years mine goes up to, I bet I'll be ok with the early car and all ---
Old 10-05-2014   #30
alwayscode390

OK, I finally got a chance to go out and use my setup.

It said I had 1 stored code ... "Code 12" but no current codes.

I erased the stored code ... started the car up , and now the "SYS" alert is flashing where my MPG screen is LOL.

Is that because I erased a stored code, so it just came back up ... and after driving it will store itself again?

I also tried to erase my INFL RST code w/ the body systems cartridge and it said I needed the S.I.R./DUAL UART adapter to do that. Luckily I found one for sale on Ebay, Part No. TA00065 , I think its what I needed ... on the back it states "To be used with the TECH 1 when testing the S.I.R. Systems on GM's 1990 Y Vehicles and 1991 L Vehicles." Our cars are 4th digit vin Y cars, and mine is a 1990.

I'll let you know what happens when I try to test out the adapter, but for now I am curious about the new SYS deal.

When I put the "ECM Plus" cartridge in , it says NO stored OR Current codes ... so I cleared it just in case , and the SYS light is still on the dash when I start it up. If anyone can just confirm that I am clearing the codes, but they are just immediately coming back up before they can be stored again ... that would make me feel a lot better. Anyone know offhand what a code 12 is anyway? I'm off to try and research that right now.

THANKS! ---