ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 12-15-2014   #21
Dynomite

Default Re: My Billet alt is here and it fits !! pics and input welcome !

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ABI VT View Post
How it looks so far. Did a little touch up work on the alt. rerouted the harness etc so its out of sight. Ill be doing a lot more of that over the winter under the hood Top end is progressing finally too.. should be running soon !

Interested on how the Plenum fits in regard to the Alternator side Connections.
Also.....you said somewhere you could have gotten a thicker ear on the alternator so as not to have to use shims?
I know you mentioned Alternator Pulley diameter somewhere but to put all in one post, what Alternator Pulley Diameter did you end up with?
I think you also mentioned you went with 180 amps?

Have to study your solutions regarding the Alternator wiring/connections one more time. I assume you ended up using an adapter for the OEM Alternator Connector to fit the Billet Aluminum Alternator? Or you modified the wiring yourself but there are Connector Adapters available like WVZR-1 suggests?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR-1 View Post
If you haven't cut/spliced the alternator connector I believe I'd maybe consider a conversation with these folks for a harness. Scroll down to the W3030D and that is correct for the car harness, ask them if they can assemble you a short harness to your requirement. If you need some additional length they can accommodate you. No cut/splice solder and no aggravation. I'm quite surprised knowing the $$$$$'s you paid DC POWER that they didn't accommodate you. It's attention to "detail" that finishes a project and I'd think they came up short. http://www.qualitypowerauto.com/item...-Harnesses.htm

I believe the Denso plug is a 312 but I'm sure these people would understand and you've got you snapshots.
Anyway.....you know where I am going with this......I definitely appreciate what you are doing in the LT5 restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDCYLON View Post
Make sense, I actually like the side mounted battery mount. The mount at the rear sucks. Ive packed away my electrical suppliment since Im moving maybe somebody will chime in. I love the billet personally, love the buzzsaw look and im surprised Cliff isnt all over this.... Yet
Cliff is watching......now studying

Last edited by Dynomite; 12-15-2014 at 12:20 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014   #22
5ABI VT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
Interested on how the Plenum fits in regard to the Alternator side Connections.
Also.....you said somewhere you could have gotten a thicker ear on the alternator so as not to have to use shims?
I know you mentioned Alternator Pulley diameter somewhere but to put all in one post, what Alternator Pulley Diameter did you end up with?
I think you also mentioned you went with 180 amps?

Have to study your solutions regarding the Alternator wiring/connections one more time. I assume you ended up using an adapter for the OEM Alternator Connector to fit the Billet Aluminum Alternator? Or you modified the wiring yourself but there are Connector Adapters available like WVZR-1 suggests?

Anyway.....you know where I am going with this......I definitely appreciate what you are doing in the LT5 restoration

Cliff is watching......now studying
I am hoping to have the plenum on VERY soon. And im fairly certain of that after taking.. oh.. 4 months !! I will report back on fitment with lots of photos for sure.

Yes with regards to the shims, SInce the billet covers are custom cut per order Im certain you can specify thickness. I took measurements and can post them here, but if anyone will order in the future you could measure your ears on the factory alternator and send them to the manufacturer. I will be sending my photos and measurements to DC so hopefully they make that change in the future.

ALternator pulley I believe is 2.5" VERY close to stock. DC suggested a smaller pulley but I told them I don't have a pounding system and I don't often even turn it up too much I really just want a better alternator and to have a better functioning charging system. I was told by all manufacturers that the alternators can easily handle more peak rpm than the stock cs144 which a few even had a few not so great things to say about lol. I told DC I have bumped up my idle rpm already, and have a higher limiter set so I felt a 2.5 pulley would work and they agreed.

Someone also mentioned pulley alignment. I stood both alternators on their pulleys and the tabs are in perfect alignment on both ears so I would assume this is a simple way to know if the pulley will be in the correct position. I took pics and can post if needed.

As for wiring, the harness they provided plugs into the new alternator. One wire has a ring terminal already heat shrinked and crimped. This goes to the positive post. the other wire simply needs to be connected to the brown wire on the original harness plug. ALl I did was unpin the gm plug. cut off the pin end. tied it into the wire on the harness and soldered it together. ANother option would be to snip the brown wire, add a butt connector and then if there was a need to switch back it could easily be done by unplugging it etc.

Here are some photos in case I wasn't clear about the wiring.

harness DC provided. Blue has a ring terminal already. yellow I had to strip with a wire stripper...

right before soldering

I added heat shrink and then taped it onto the oem harness. I taped the plug downwards and out of sight so it sits a bit below the alternator and is still there.

Close up shot of it all.

5ABI VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014   #23
5ABI VT

I forgot to add that yes there is a harness available from quality power. If you buy from them it is an option and the oem plug would plug in and the other end right into the new alternator.

Here is a link quality power sent me. They have the options for the plug, rear or side exit and pulley type etc all there.

http://www.qualitypowerauto.com/item...-7.2-Mount.htm

I will say this much. I did ask DC for black and a rear exit. Possibly a good thing as people have pointed out as alternator removal should be easier with the plenum on. I did ask them about why mine didn't have a rear exit in my last few emails and I have not been replied to about it. They have been answering my questions on the harness though but not happy they keep ducking my post question. It is my opinion they are seeing it lol. ANother thing to add is all the manufacturers offered to reduce value or ship in a way that it could save me some taxes etc. For me its a big deal usually because we get bent over on brokerage fees. I can respect them not wanting to in case of loss or damage as it would only be insured for the amount listed. I did end up paying another $80 at the door to receive the unit which always sucks. I chose to go with them as they have a great rep online from everything I researched.
5ABI VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014   #24
alwayscode390

$450 for a 180 amp alternator that needs modification to install ... YUCK!

It does look sweet though ---
90' ZR-1 Corvette LPE #699
alwayscode390 is offline   Reply With Quote