ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 02-06-2013   #21
GOLDCYLON

Default Re: Optima or Odyssey ... close dimensions, will it fit? ---

Im running a red top battery that has the side and top posts. I had to cut the underside of the Cruise control bracket (Dont worry its still beafy) to allow clearance for the top posts. Took my dremal about 15 mins.
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013   #22
Brad Sewell

I installed the Odyssey last year and I have been pleased. Unfortunately my car sometimes goes 8 or more weeks without cranking. The battery has discharged but so far it has charged back. I did not have a local dealer so I did buy online.

If the question was about fit then go with the Odyssey - it is a good fit.
Brad Sewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013   #23
alwayscode390

I actually got the Odyssey a couple days ago , just haven't had a nice day to install it yet.

I hooked it up to my charger and it was 100% from the factory ... 6 months on the shelf.

I recently got an Optima Red Top for my other vehicle ... hooked it up to the charger and it was 70% from the factory ... 12 months on the shelf.

Looks like the Odyssey is already proving itself even before installation .

Thanks for everyone for the tips and heads up , I never would have went this route without your advice ---
90' ZR-1 Corvette LPE #699
alwayscode390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #24
alwayscode390

I finally got around to installing the Odyssey battery ... WOW is it a tight fit. I am glad I didn't try to fit the Optima.

The car seems to LOVE it too ... not sure if its the 70 degree weather or the new battery , but it starts in 1 second now ... instead of 5-6 seconds like it was before.

YAY!!! ---

Old 03-16-2013   #25
Hib Halverson

Just in case it hasn't been mentioned previously, the Odyssey 75PC1230, which is their new side terminal only unit, bolts right in to a C4.

I just put one in my 95.

Previously, I had to use the Odyssey 75/86 PC1230 with a modified right side cowl-to-fram brace.

I've been using Odysseys for a number of years now in most of my cars. What prompted my changing from Optima Red Tops to Odyssey was what I decided was failing quality of Optimas. The last one I used was subjected to two deep cycles and died 9 months after installation...totally unacceptable in a collector car duty cycle.

So far, Odysseys have extraordinary life in service. Along with the best deep cycle durability I've seen in a car battery. I have one in my '01 Camaro, which was the first Odyssey I installed in 2006. Shelf life seems to be darn good, too. The battery I just put in my 95, had been sitting in my parts storage for two years before I cut open the box and installed it.

What seems to set an Odyssey apart from most other batteries is its ability to provide very short duration very high current flow, such as when starting a high compression engine like an LT5 or an LS7. I have one in my 2G ZR1 and one in my '12 Z06 and in both cases, cold cranking speed increased slightly.

Totally "sold" on Odyssey batteries.

For those looking for bargains, Sears sells some of the Odyssey part numbers as the Die Hard Platinum. It's the same as an Odyssey except for the Die Hard name and a gray rather than orange case.
current owner 19 VIN 1878
Hib Halverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013   #26
Blue Flame Restorations

Have the Optima in the Turq car. Relocated behind the passenger seat. No problems.
1990 ZR-1 #444 Convertible
1990 ZR-1 Black #966
1991 ZR-1 Quazar Blue #296
1957 Duntov SS Project
Blue Flame Restorations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015   #27
George Maz

Totally agree with Hib.

Odyssey & DieHard Platinum are the only choice for my cars, boats, jet ski's. And for the same reason stated, the Optima can't handle repeated deep discharges. The Odyssey (formally Hawker Military Spec) is rated for over 400 deep discharge cycles. The extra price for 99% virgin lead is worth the peace of mind. My Red Flop Optijunk was nothing but aggravation, but it works well as dead weight in my snow tractor now.

I was searching the preferred ODYSSEY size here today because I noticed my recently purchased ZR-1 was slow to crank and the dashboard dimmed. This condition doesn't occur with an ODYSSEY equipped vehicle, so I'm eagerly swapping out the "old tech lead acid" for AGM.

I even splurged for the 25amp ODYSSEY AGM battery charger (rebranded Schumacher) a few months ago.

Sears here doesn't even sell Optima anymore, too many warranty returns so they dumped them in favor of making DieHard Platinum an AGM battery made by ODYSSEY (grey case or Marine blue case) All made by the parent company EnerSys...everything else made by Johnson Controls, which I'm sure you've seen their white vans running around replacing all those lame batteries.
DieHard Platinum has limited selection of sizes for specific applications, just call ODYSSEY directly and speak to the nice lady about your application...she got it right every time so far. If you can find your battery among the Platinum selection, try buying on a Friend's & Family Sunday for additional discount.
My advice on the side terminal style installation is do it yourself. 90% of side terminal issues were related to excessive torque when installed by untrained store personel. 10% was vibration issue.
1990 ZR-1 #1587
1990 ZR-1 #1727

Last edited by George Maz; 05-30-2015 at 01:32 AM. Reason: spelling
George Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015   #28
alwayscode390

I agree 100% George ... I figured out Optimas were only good for me when they were in Daily Driver cars.

If they were in anything that sat they went to junk fast and took a miracle to get them to recover.

My Odyssey has been drained fully 3 times already and bounces right back ... and stays strong.

Luckily I have battery tenders hooked up to both now, so they are good to go ... but the Odyssey still takes a tender charge faster. I'm definitely a fan ... thanks for the info! ---
Old 05-31-2015   #29
Locobob

Rear frame rail mounted Odyssey 925, works great.

ZR-1 Net Registry Oregon State Director

91 ZR-1 #431 Black/Black LPE 368
Locobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018   #30
George Maz

Odyssey pc925L (+ is left side)
$155 shipped from 4wheelparts.com
https://www.4wheelparts.com/Electric...t_pn=ODYPC925L
Stinger spt85303 GM side adapters
$15 eBay https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F401071129372
10lbs lighter, stronger smaller battery. The pc925L is now installed in three of the C4's with as expected excellent performance and fitment. I use Odyssey in everything I own, wouldn't even consider any other battery. Been nearly 8 years ...still have all the same batteries!
1990 ZR-1 #1587
1990 ZR-1 #1727
George Maz is offline   Reply With Quote