ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 Members' Rides

Old 11-15-2017   #1
TX '90 ZR1

Default New to me "90 #442. Anybody familiar with it?

I purchased this car about 3 weeks ago. I am out in the middle of nowhere, so with some help from this forum & the registry I went over the car with a fine tooth comb to verify it was what it is supposed to be. Also, I had one just like this in 1990, so was somewhat familiar even though it had been awhile.
Short history of the car as I have been able to figure out. This is from what little history I have found & also visiting with the previous owner.
Car was originally shipped to Chevy dealer in Lewisville, TX. Dealer transferred to Dealer in Las Vegas, NV where a gentleman from southern CA purchased the car. The car has federal emissions, so it looks like it was driven somehow until 1993 and accumulate enough miles to get it titled in CA. CA emission check records show the car had some miles put on it regularly over the years. Car currently has 34,000 miles.
Car was owned by the first owner & then his estate until Sept 2014 when a gentleman in west central Texas purchased it. Car had 32,000 miles when he bought it. He traded it in on a new (or newer) Z06 at a small Chevy dealership which is where I located the car.
My challenge is trying to reconstruct some type of service history. I have found that the car was at the Chevy dealer in Ventura, CA April 2014. Car was diagnosed as needing injectors replaced, but the customer refused the repair. Car was also at an AC repair facility in Van Nuys, CA July 2014 and diagnosed as needing upgrade to R-134. Again the customer refused the repairs.
It appears someone did both the injectors and AC upgrade in the summer of 2014 before the car was sold. The previous owner confirms they had been done when he picked up the car. Previous owner took car to Henderson in New Braunfels, TX August 2016 because of an engine miss. Henderson replaced all 4 coil units, plenum gaskets, PVC connector & AC switch. I assume they would have checked everything under the plenum while they were in there.
I've put about 500 miles on car including a trip of 250 miles. Everything is as expected except for a few things I noticed when inspecting the car.
They are: Radio not working. Dr. Don says tuner/receiver. Not fun to get out!!
Small oil leak. Not cooler hoses. Not sending units. Will need to trace from underneath.
Seat lumbar pumps not working. Haven't checked this yet.
Everything else is great.

If anyone knows anything about this car would love to hear. Any comments welcome.
Pics coming in following post.
Thanks guys,
TX '90 ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017   #2
TX '90 ZR1

Default Re: New to me "90 #442. Anybody familiar with it?

Pics as Promised.
All I had done prior to these pics is give it a bath & drive it !1990 ZR1 #3 001.jpg

1990 ZR1 #3 004.jpg

1990 ZR1 #3 006.jpg

1990 ZR1 #3 005.jpg

1990 ZR1 Pizza Box.jpg
Old 11-17-2017   #3
Ccmano

Welcome to the forum and the addiction....
H
90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
08 C6 Z51 Crystal Red Metallic Sold Vararam Intake, Tune, Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
90'ZR-1 #1723 Black/Gray Sold but not forgotten
91' Z51 L98 White Vert. My First, you always remember your first. Sold.
Ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017   #4
TX '90 ZR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccmano View Post
Welcome to the forum and the addiction....
H
Thanks Ccmano. I had one just like this in the early 90's. Had forgotten how much fun they are!!
See you are in Sparks, NV. I have a lot of memories there. I ran in the Air Races for several years. Late 80's, early 90's. AT-6 class. I was one of the lucky ones. Never had any problems I couldn't handle.
Thanks again.
Old 11-17-2017   #5
Ccmano

Reno Air Races are one of my favorite activities each year. The AT6’s still run strong. Starting to see vintage jets running now. Just moved back here in Feb and retired. Lived here on the late 90’s and early 00’s. Great place, booming economy with all the high tech moving in.
H
90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
08 C6 Z51 Crystal Red Metallic Sold Vararam Intake, Tune, Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
90'ZR-1 #1723 Black/Gray Sold but not forgotten
91' Z51 L98 White Vert. My First, you always remember your first. Sold.
Ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017   #6
G-Sting

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX '90 ZR1 View Post
Thanks Ccmano. I had one just like this in the early 90's. Had forgotten how much fun they are!!
See you are in Sparks, NV. I have a lot of memories there. I ran in the Air Races for several years. Late 80's, early 90's. AT-6 class. I was one of the lucky ones. Never had any problems I couldn't handle.
Thanks again.

'90 Z looks great.

Sounds like a blast racing the North American Aviation AT-6. Would love to make the Reno Air Races in the next couple years.

Welcome aboard!
"An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered." -- G.K. Chesterton
G-Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017   #7
TX '90 ZR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Sting View Post
'90 Z looks great.

Sounds like a blast racing the North American Aviation AT-6. Would love to make the Reno Air Races in the next couple years.

Welcome aboard!
Thanks G-Sting. Appears it is as good as it looks !!
Racing the T-6 (actually mine was a Harvard SNJ-4.Same as AT-6 but Canadian built & lighter) was more than a "blast". It is hard to describe the adrenalin rush when you are lined up beside several others and begin diving for the starting pylon. We were serious about it. Some too much so.