ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 02-05-2013   #1
alwayscode390

Lightbulb Optima or Odyssey ... close dimensions, will it fit? ---

I saw while searching that Odyssey makes a battery that fits nicely in our trays ... its number 75-PC1230A . The dimensions are : 9.46"L x 6.99"W x 7.22"H

I searched Optimas site to see what battery they recommend for our cars, and they don't have one. That used to be an issue with the Viper too ... because of the top posts (which is an issue with us too). WELL, Optima came out with a side post only battery that the Viper guys use. I was wondering if we can use them too. The dimensions are:
  • Length: 10"
  • Width: 7.25"
  • Height: 7.187"
This shows the Optima is about 1/2" longer, 1/4" wider, and about the same height.

The reason I want to go with the Optima is I can get one for about $75 cheaper, and they are 5 lbs lighter.

Do you guys think it will fit , or is the Odyssey using up pretty much all the available space?

Thanks ---
90' ZR-1 Corvette LPE #699
alwayscode390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013   #2
Blue Flame Restorations

Default Re: Optima or Odyssey ... close dimensions, will it fit? ---

Not 100% sure about dimensionally fitting but the Optima sure does work well for my 91. Mine is located behind the passenger seat though.
1990 ZR-1 #444 Convertible
1990 ZR-1 Black #966
1991 ZR-1 Quazar Blue #296
1957 Duntov SS Project
Blue Flame Restorations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013   #3
alwayscode390

I have the RED TOP in all my other vehicles. Figured I would like to stuff one in the ZR-1 too.

The car is starting good, but the battery says 2003 on it LOL ... I didn't see that until the other day when I had my hood up. Last guy said it was new, and I have only had it for a month.

Figured with the change in weather , its time to swap one out.

Is there any tips or pointers to swapping out the battery? Looks like I need to take off the "TPI" piece from the body of the car? ---
Old 02-05-2013   #4
Blue Flame Restorations

I usually load it from the top. I don't remove the side fender. Everything up there comes loose and gets out of the way easy enough for me.
1990 ZR-1 #444 Convertible
1990 ZR-1 Black #966
1991 ZR-1 Quazar Blue #296
1957 Duntov SS Project
Blue Flame Restorations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013   #5
alwayscode390

Maybe someone can measure the dimensions of their battery for me, or even the dimensions of the battery tray if they have easy access to theirs?

I would like to order this tonight , but it will be ordered online ... my local stores don't carry this model. It would be a bummer to get it and have to send it back, or be stuck with it.

Thanks ---
Old 02-05-2013   #6
alwayscode390

I just looked up the Interstate battery specs for our cars. Looks like length is 1" shorter with them, but height is 1/2" taller. Looks like length is the only concern now with the Optima :

Width: 7.25
Length: 9
Height: 7.63
Old 02-05-2013   #7
Hib Halverson

I used both, Optima and Odyssey.

I think the Odyssey is a better choice. Physically, because its square rather than a six-pack or round cells, it's got more room for plates.

My experience with an Optima was that it was not very tolerant of deep-cycles. In fact, two deep cycles and the one I had could not be charged.

Currently I have an Odyssey 75 PC1230 in my ZR1. I use that say Odyssey size in both my Camaro and my Blazer. I use the bigger 1500 in my 71 Vette and I use a smaller Odyssey in the '12 Z06. I still have a Delco in my '04 Z06.

Sears sells some Odysseys in gray cases and under the Diehard Platinum name.
current owner 19 VIN 1878
Hib Halverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013   #8
alwayscode390

Did it look like you had an extra inch to play with in the length area of the tray? ---
Old 02-05-2013   #9
Schrade

I could not fit an Optima in my '94 (LT1).

I bought an Optima in Nov., not installed yet because of the drain. I THINK we did a dry-fit at Advancebefore ringing it up, and it did go in, if I remember correctly. I'll probably put mine in when the power drain is corrected here........
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013   #10
WVZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayscode390 View Post
Maybe someone can measure the dimensions of their battery for me, or even the dimensions of the battery tray if they have easy access to theirs?

I would like to order this tonight , but it will be ordered online ... my local stores don't carry this model. It would be a bummer to get it and have to send it back, or be stuck with it.

Thanks ---
I'd certainly consider the Odyssey over the Optima or at-least do a "local buy" because you likely WILL need service. A battery is one item that does NOT fit the "ON LINE" order thought process. You have absolutely no control over what you receive in regards to age. Bought local you can check date codes, fit etc first. The Optima have known issues BUT battery life is very much about maintenance. The + top post on the Optima is a known issue for the C4 Corvette but I thought I had read of maybe a "new" fit by them. Do you have a part #.

I'd consider the Sears Platinum if I were interested in a "Premium" battery.

Limit your shopping to a battery of a group 75 spec.

The left fender needs removed and here's a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgMa-J8Gqks

Last edited by WVZR-1; 02-05-2013 at 08:39 PM.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote