ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > General > Forum News

Old 12-05-2016   #11
efnfast

Default Re: ZR Registry- Broadening the Registry Universe

We had (maybe still have) a member, I think his name was Ed. He was a member because he owned a Cadillac that had an LS9, that they used in ZR1 Corvettes. That's pretty far out from what this registry is about.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a real social person. Dom asked the question "should we?" I say no.

Last edited by efnfast; 12-10-2016 at 12:08 PM.
efnfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016   #12
HAWAIIZR-1

Sorry, but I would like to vote against it. What we have now is very special with a special group of people that I would hate to see change and lose its value. This family is the reason why I came here and joined from the original with Mom. I also think the Registry is what makes others envious about this group of folks that have become more than friends in some cases. This is way more than just a forum when you look at the international membership of the Gatherings and people willing to travel across the world. I would had to see us lose that. Thank you for allowing us to share our thoughts and passion.

Aloha,
Craig

I just renewed my membership and had I known this...........just kidding.
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016   #13
A26B

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
To those that are contributing,

First of all thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback. Secondly, I would encourage you to consider the principle question of the Registry reaching out proactively to owners/fans of ZR Corvettes other than only the C4 generation.
As an analogy, the Grand Sport community includes other generations beyond the C4. Should the Registry do something similar? Some of the other points discussed above presuppose that the Registry would do this. The question for discussion here is whether we should do this rather than how.
I hope that helps clarify the objective here.
Quote:
The question for discussion here is whether we should do this rather than how.

Respectfully, I think the manner in which it would be done will directly impact the result and should be considered before making the decision, not after.

There is a significant set of differences that sets our group of ZR-1/LT5 owners/enthusiasts apart from the rest.
1. The LT5. The Lotus birthright, The "black site" (MerCruiser) manufacturing, the speed & endurance records, our dependence on each other for technical support, etc.. None of that relates to any other generations with "ZR" option.
2. GM support. Virtually every other version of the "ZR" optioned Corvettes is or will be currently supported by GM.
3. Generation Gap. Face it! Technology grows exponentially. Our ZR-1's are special, but they are vastly outdated and of little interest to todays speed & power group. We are normally aspirated marvels of 27 year old technology in a sea of uber powerful sports cars made by dozens of different manufacturers. We are distant cousins like the P-38 Lightening and the F-22 Raptor. Not much in common today.

The list could continue, but the point is...... how do you govern and administer to a diverse group of all generation ZR's and achieve the same level of effectiveness as we enjoy today? I don't think it can be done.

I greatly admire the C6 ZR1, have had the pleasure of hot laps with a professional driver, wanted one and owned a 2013 GS. I currently own a 2016 Z51 Stingray and enjoy everything about it. My 94 ZR-1 is special. Through it, I have made many, many friends.

What we have through the ZR-1 Net Registry is unique. I see no benefit to expanding it to include any other generations of "ZR" optioned Corvettes.
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016   #14
Ami Workman

Quote:
Originally Posted by A26B View Post
I have no problem with it, provided that the when you access the Forum, there are immediate sub-forums such as the following, to avoid comingling the different generations, such as;

C3 ZR-1, LT-1
C4 ZR-1, LT5
C6 ZR1, LS9
C7 ZR1, "LT5"

The immediate questions in my mind are;
1. What is/are the advantage(s) for our organization to broaden the scope beyond the current status? Likewise, what is/are the disadvantage(s)?
2. Does the HOTB magazine become diluted with inclusion of other ZR's?
3. Will the Board then be comprised of directors elected from all generations?

I think the initial step may be to solicit questions of concerns from our members first, to develop a broad & complete spectrum of considerations. Then, develop answers to the questions so that informed opinions and decisions can be made.
I have to agree with Jerry ...I think this is a great idea... 😊
Ami Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016   #15
FU

Jumpin on the Jerry bandwagon here.

NCM Lifetime member # 982
Registry Founding # 237
FU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016   #16
Mystic ZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FU View Post
Jumpin on the Jerry bandwagon here.
I agree!
Sure beats the paddywagon!
😀
Mystic ZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016   #17
george1945

I have no real opposition other than GM has a way of resurrecting names and then attaching them to a new model. The ZR1 of the 90-95 years, denotes a very different and unique automobile. It is that uniqueness that binds their owners. Will the new models share in that or just wear the badge? If I could just go to the section or years of interest I would be good. We seem to already have that ability to some degree.
george1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016   #18
XfireZ51

George,

The focus woould be ONLY on Corvettes w the ZR Corvette representing the pinnacle of GM/Corvette group engineering for that generation.

Jerry,

Appreciate ur comments. The sense of the membership will assist the Board as to whether we continue w development of a plan addressing ur questions or whether we drop the idea. This is a consequential step and we don't want to get too far ahead of ourselves
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX

Last edited by XfireZ51; 12-05-2016 at 01:09 PM.
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016   #19
Kevin

I'm for it. Sure there will be some issues in finding ways to provide value to new members of different generations, but that's going to be worth it to help bring new members to the group. Hell, some members have several gens already. My only issue, and it's only a slight one, is parking at Carlisle. We already have a hard enough time keeping enterlopers out and a mix of gens will only make that worse. But I'm fairly scary in the morning before coffee so I'm not quite so sure that's an issue
Old 12-05-2016   #20
DRM500RUBYZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
To those that are contributing,

First of all thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback. Secondly, I would encourage you to consider the principle question of the Registry reaching out proactively to owners/fans of ZR Corvettes other than only the C4 generation.
As an analogy, the Grand Sport community includes other generations beyond the C4. Should the Registry do something similar? Some of the other points discussed above presuppose that the Registry would do this. The question for discussion here is whether we should do this rather than how.
I hope that helps clarify the objective here.
Likely the GS folks did it out of need as much as anything else.
There were only 1,000 C-4 Grand Sports.
That is a relatively small population from which to build a large enough organization to do all that is needed to remain viable for the long term.
While they currently do a great job, if their penetration is comparable to ours, that would be a limiting factor.

We only have a sixty some hundred population.
Until our registry reaches at least a 25% participation rate within our C-4 realm, maybe we should remain focused on that mission.
More generations certainly grows the membership and the funding, and provides a broader base of potential volunteers to help shoulder the workload of the organization. I would enjoy having the other gen folks as part of our organization as opposed to a separate unaffiliated entity.
Strength and longevity come from robust membership.
Had the original Registry reached critical mass it might have lasted, in spite of all.
Our main mission is to be meaningful, useful, desirable and fun, because if
those things happen we will be around for a long time whether we are one generation or more.
I would hate it if a contest developed as to which Z generation is the most meaningful. Combining them all eliminates that from ever happening.
A fraternal relationship among generations is far more desirable than an adversarial one.
So heck yeah, come one come all!
More folks in the pool usually mean more fun!

Marty
DRM500RUBYZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote