ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 03-17-2019   #1
tnova

Default Crankcase Vent Cover Tube Loose

To install the driver's side injector housing I was removing the vent hose from the crankcase vent cover. The hose clamp was completely loose and when I put a rotation and pull motion on the hose, the tube came out of the vent cover instead of the hose separating from the hose. (The hoses are original and very hard. New ones on order from Jerry's)

The tube wasn't damaged. There was a sealant or adhesive around the tube portion that fits in to the cover. I've totally cleaned it up plus any that was in the bore on the cover.

Question: What sealant or adhesive should I use when I reseat the tube in the vent cover?

Tony - Tnova
tnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019   #2
secondchance

Default Re: Crankcase Vent Cover Tube Loose

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnova View Post
To install the driver's side injector housing I was removing the vent hose from the crankcase vent cover. The hose clamp was completely loose and when I put a rotation and pull motion on the hose, the tube came out of the vent cover instead of the hose separating from the hose. (The hoses are original and very hard. New ones on order from Jerry's)

The tube wasn't damaged. There was a sealant or adhesive around the tube portion that fits in to the cover. I've totally cleaned it up plus any that was in the bore on the cover.

Question: What sealant or adhesive should I use when I reseat the tube in the vent cover?

Tony - Tnova
I would, after through clean and degreasing maybe even scuff lightly with 400 grit sandpaper, someone may object but, use epoxy or JB weld myself.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019   #3
Jagdpanzer

Or use some Loctite 620

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
George Braml Intake
Jagdpanzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019   #4
mgbrv8

Hey Tom

If you look at my album of pictures you see how I dealt with it about half way through the pictures. Hope it helps

Dave

https://www.facebook.com/zr1netregis...60115440860615

Quote:

Tony - Tnova
mgbrv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019   #5
A26B

Same thing happened to me. I used Loctite 262, let set overnight. All worked like new. Phil is correct for Loctite 620 being the best for the application, I just didn't have any on hand.
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019   #6
Corvettes White

Is this the answer? I "found" these books not to long ago. Had a reason to open them up.

George
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190317_204158.jpg (119.5 KB, 69 views)

Last edited by Corvettes White; 03-17-2019 at 11:50 PM.
Corvettes White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019   #7
tnova

To all, thanks. This is a great forum. I've got 620 on hand and will do this morning. I wish my "Brand P" racecar buddies where as knowledgeable and helpful as the LT5 crowd.

BTW, for those who have asked, yes, I do have a Nova, thus the nickname. '72, old school set up for driving to the strip for test-'n-tunes. Not as cool as my ZR-1 though.

Tony - Tnova
Old 03-18-2019   #8
tnova

George,
You have the factory assembly book? OUTSTANDING!!!! Preserve them like a library archive. Don't ever let them leave the group.
Tony - TNova
Old 03-18-2019   #9
Tyler Townsley

Friend recently gave me a complete set of c-4 factory assembly manuals including one for the 1983. The 83 one may be the only one in existence according to another friend who has been looking for one for over 10 years.

Tyler
68 Torch Red
88 ZR1 Blue
90 ZR1 White
Tyler Townsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019   #10
Corvettes White

Quote:
George,
You have the factory assembly book? OUTSTANDING!!!! Preserve them like a library archive. Don't ever let them leave the group.
Tony - TNova
Yes,. Got lucky. It is a latter version with a lot of updated pages. Maybe 600 pages total.

Good luck with your project.
Corvettes White is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crankcase vent cover, hose, tube