ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 02-14-2017   #1
S.hafsmo

Default Zr1 - different C68 programmer

My climate control panel shows only 3 dashes (---) and does not respond to input, other than for fault code reading. Though no codes show. Fan blows constantly to windshield when ignition is on.

Having attempted some fixes (headunit eraser/cleaning and programmer capacitor replacement) without the desired success, I've started glancing for a replacement while the fault finding continues. I notice the Z programmet have a different part number, which naturally makes it 3-4 times as expensive. Why? Can I not use a programmer for a regular C4? Any hints on where to acquire one that does not cost $700?
Old 02-14-2017   #2
Roadster

Default Re: Zr1 - different C68 programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.hafsmo View Post
My climate control panel shows only 3 dashes (---) and does not respond to input, other than for fault code reading. Though no codes show. Fan blows constantly to windshield when ignition is on.

Having attempted some fixes (headunit eraser/cleaning and programmer capacitor replacement) without the desired success, I've started glancing for a replacement while the fault finding continues. I notice the Z programmet have a different part number, which naturally makes it 3-4 times as expensive. Why? Can I not use a programmer for a regular C4? Any hints on where to acquire one that does not cost $700?
I think I understand what you are saying, and if so, what you need to do is take out the Climate Control Panel and clean all of the contacts. The thread below I posted a year and a half ago on this procedure. I found the info on You Tube, and it works great. If you do this you may not have to purchase another unit....

http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25372

1994 ZR-1 #009 "captured test fleet car"
1974 LS4 454 Vert
1982 L83 CFI...now a retired "dd"....Sold

WAZOO Member

Last edited by Roadster; 02-14-2017 at 10:03 AM.
Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017   #3
S.hafsmo

That was the first thing I tried, but I appreciate the input. The buttons respond fine when I activate the trouble code programme (hold up+down for 5 sec), but the head unit does not show temperature, nor indicate mode with the diodes.

Looks like this (borrowed pic)

It's the exact same issue as this guy had.
http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...d.php?t=118406

Last edited by S.hafsmo; 02-14-2017 at 10:28 AM.
S.hafsmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017   #4
G8nightman

Maybe some moister or water got on to it?
90 Chevy ZR1 LPE #2315 'SOLD'
90 Chevy ZR1 LPE #2774 'SOLD'
91 Chevy ZR1 Callaway aerobody
91 Chevy ZR1 #1512
91 Chevy ZR1 #951
95 Chevy ZR1 #338 'SOLD'
91 BMW 850i
94 BMW 850csi
95 BMW 850csi
94 Lotus Esprit S4
07 Benz CLS550
06 BMW M5 "SOLD"
G8nightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017   #5
Roadster

You would probably have to check out the FSM for that one....Don't know if you own the Service Manuals for your year, but that would be a very good investment. I will take a look at my FSM and see if I can find anything for you. And there may be another member who have experienced this problem and respond....

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member
Old 02-14-2017   #6
S.hafsmo

The circuit board in both the programmer and headunit looks mint, even the cardboard on the back looks good. I've checked the FSM, but offcourse I was missing the 8A electronics supplement. Was really hoping to see an obvious defect when I opened it, but no such luck
Old 02-14-2017   #7
Roadster

This is what I found, and you may also found the same....

From the FSM....
"The computerized HVAC programmer receives input from several on-vehicle sensors, the CCM, also temperature and mode requests from the HVAC control head."
"The information input to the HVAC programmer is processed and used to control the electronic automatic HVAC system.
Three sensors, specific to the electronic automatic HVAC system provide input to the HVAC programmer."

1-OUTSIDE AIR (AMBIENT) TEMPERATURE SENSOR
2-INSIDE AIR TEMPERATURE SENSOR
3-SUN LOAD SENSOR

I could not find any info on a non-functioning LCD display with or without the 3 dashes (---).
Could it be that one of the sensors or the CCM is defective, therefore causing you not to get the reading on the LCD and thus the system not operating properly???
Thinking logically, the sensors mentioned and or the CCM may need to be checked out for proper operation...

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member

Last edited by Roadster; 02-14-2017 at 11:16 AM.
Old 02-14-2017   #8
WVZR-1

See 1C1-22 for a '90 (CODE 10 or ---) If year other than '90 the ERROR CODE should be found on a similar/close to page. The failure isn't likely internal to the C68 control.

***If you don't have an FSM or maybe just not the 8A which is relevant here drop me an email. I can do a .pdf complete that is way better than most, both books, the '90 - '93 LT5 supplement a couple parts SPO publications that I had done for me professionally.

We can do the FSM via "DropBox" and you can have same day paid PayPal. I've done many. My .pdf is searchable and you can clip images and sections of text from it that most .pdf can't.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017   #9
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.hafsmo View Post

These are not ZR-1 specific however they are C4 specific. You will need to find a model that works for your year car. I think 90-91 are a break point then 92-93 and 94-96. So that's 3 different models. Regardless there are no ZR-1 Specific C-68 AC programmers. The model years are the difference. What changed I have no idea between the model(s) but the 134A to R12 break was in the 94 model this is a WAG although but I know there are multiple part numbers for these controllers out there.
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V

Last edited by GOLDCYLON; 02-14-2017 at 12:25 PM.
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017   #10
RodB

I had this problem on my MY90 several years ago so this info isn't fresh in my mind but I called Gordon Kilebrew and we were able to resolve it. One of his tricks was to remove the blower motor resistor from the heater box. That allows you to look at a flapper that directs air to different positions. As I recall his advise was to remove and replace the battery cable and that causes the flapper to cycle and reset. His concern was that at least on MY90s was that the only thing to stop the flapper was the small tab that stops rotation had probably broken. Apparently repairing a faulty flapper is a royal PITA. Luckily for me it rotated and stopped as it should. From there we determined that the HVAC controller was the problem. I found one on eBay and I don't remember that it was a zr1 specific part. It is beside the steering column behind the hush panel and in its own right it is a PITA to replace. That did work for me and all these years later I've had no more issues. Gordon said that if the head unit doesn't see the return signals that it expects it just locks.

Like I say this if I went through this five days ago instead of five years my memory might be better but I do remember Gordon originally was concerned that the flapper just going around and around. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
RodB is offline   Reply With Quote