ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-19-2015   #1
Roadster

Default Have your Climate Control Buttons ever not respond to your commands???

Took the Z to work on Thursday and noticed on the way home that I was not getting any response from the Climate control Buttons. Thankfully the AC was on, at least it was a cool ride home... Could not even shut the system off.
So I got home and did a search and this is what I found on you tube....
Climate Control Repair- C4 Corvette (can't get the link to copy, but here is the title.) So he has the same problem on a 93 and proceeds to show how it may be possible to get the panel to respond once again, by taking it apart and cleaning the contacts, etc.
Let me tell you, his process worked great, my panel responds instantly with any command, what a pleasure to know the system is once again 100%.
Here are some pics of what I did, I also found that behind the center top vent that the foam was hanging, therefore impeding my air flow, used super glue to reattach and you should feel the flow now......
Forgot to take an actual pic of the Climate Control inner board removed where you clean the contacts, but you will see that in the video I referenced too.
Also replace the Bose while everything was apart, with the unit I bought about a month ago. Plays excellent and now the CD system works perfect. Will get my original Bose repaired some day.
The antenna making a buzzing noise as it reaches the top of its travel, and does not go down completely when turning the radio off. (up about 3").
But that is for another day.

Pic #1.....the Climate Control

Pic #2.....using the needle nose
On one bolt, had to use the needle nose to carefully remove the bolt, as the bracket is in the way and I couldn't find a thin wall socket to do the job. It worked great to undo and to reattach.

Pic #3....exposing the board, again this is not the inner board where you clean the contacts...dummy me!!!

Pic #4....pencil erasers to clean the contacts
You can see the difference between a clean eraser and one that has been over the contacts....

Pic #5....q-tips used
here you can see the q-tips that were used to clean the contacts with alcohol after using the pencil eraser. I went around the board at least 3 times with the eraser and alcohol to make sure everything was as clean as could be. Also cleaned the pins. You will notice the dirt on the q-tips, they were dipped in alcohol to do the job. The video shows removing the ribbon from the board, but I did not see a need to do that, so I left it in tact.

1994 ZR-1 #009 "captured test fleet car"
1974 LS4 454 Vert
1982 L83 CFI...now a retired "dd"....Sold

WAZOO Member

Last edited by Roadster; 07-21-2015 at 01:59 PM.
Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote