ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 05-30-2010   #1
FULLPWR

Default Half Shaft ?

Guys, I'm working on changing the u-joints in the half shafts right now.
I have one out and just removed the u-joints and was fixing to install the new ones when I noticed:

If you hold the shaft horizontally and tilt it one way or the other I hear a noise inside .... what is that ?????

could it be some sort of balancer ?????

help.............

Luis
FULLPWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010   #2
jonszr1

Default Re: Half Shaft ?

luis it could be a welding flash that broke off . if it were me i might consider getting another half shaft . it doesnt take much to really mess up alluminum . what u jhoints are you using , hopefully they dont have zek fitting to grease them . if they do take them back and order the 799 series spicer u joints they are the strongest out there . dennys drive shafts has a u joint kit that contains the 799 series for every u joint including the drive shaft . you dont want to skimp on the u joints as if they break it can get pricey in a hurry. hope this helps .
jonszr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010   #3
FULLPWR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonszr1 View Post
luis it could be a welding flash that broke off . if it were me i might consider getting another half shaft . it doesnt take much to really mess up alluminum . what u jhoints are you using , hopefully they dont have zek fitting to grease them . if they do take them back and order the 799 series spicer u joints they are the strongest out there . dennys drive shafts has a u joint kit that contains the 799 series for every u joint including the drive shaft . you dont want to skimp on the u joints as if they break it can get pricey in a hurry. hope this helps .

Neapco's no fittings. It feels heavier like theres another tube inside, more pronounced when I just shake it... kinda wobbles inside ..but not a metal clanking but a solid deep thumping wobble.
I did find one real bad u-joint on it that would make noise but this wobble i havent heard or couldnt hear on the road, it might not make any noise when its turning due to its deep sounding thumping noise when shaken by hand.

Im gonna take off the other side and see what its like.
Old 05-30-2010   #4
HAWAIIZR-1

Are the Neapco's the Performance Dynamics series? If so, that is what I am using but have not tested them yet until I get this beast running again. I heard from the 4X4 community that they are strong; of course you can't go wrong with Spicer.

As for the clunk in the half shafts, yes I had the same on one of mine and would recommend you replace just to be safe even though I did not. Searching the "other" forum there was a lot of traffic about this issue in the C4 area and does not seem to be a concern. I guess the way that it rotates some feel that it would not affect anything.
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010   #5
FULLPWR

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWAIIZR-1 View Post
Are the Neapco's the Performance Dynamics series? If so, that is what I am using but have not tested them yet until I get this beast running again. I heard from the 4X4 community that they are strong; of course you can't go wrong with Spicer.

As for the clunk in the half shafts, yes I had the same on one of mine and would recommend you replace just to be safe even though I did not. Searching the "other" forum there was a lot of traffic about this issue in the C4 area and does not seem to be a concern. I guess the way that it rotates some feel that it would not affect anything.
yea the perfomance dyanmics #2-0799 just for the hell of it I weighed the spicer and the Neapco's are heavier in gross weight. I dudnt know about denny's but i feel good these will do fine, I like the seals better too.

Man...I just pulled the pass side and the exact same thing....

This is wierd.......I called Rick and shook em next to the phone and he is freaked as well.......

???

Last edited by FULLPWR; 05-30-2010 at 03:18 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-30-2010   #6
FULLPWR

maybe its money inside???
or crank ???
or it was a runner ???

wheres my sawsall ................

guess I need to replace em...
darn i wanted to finish it today

Old 05-30-2010   #7
FULLPWR

I did find some net info on vibration dampening some new patent on driveshafts ..but thats it, fsm doesnt give any detail, it does have a specific .062" approx hole in the center of the yoke as if to release air ....Wish i could get it on video you guys would thinks it definitely odd as he((.

I just shook the &%$# out of them and now i can hear a metal clunk, dam just broke em. lol
whatever it is its not little for sure.

Last edited by FULLPWR; 05-30-2010 at 03:28 PM.
Old 05-30-2010   #8
jonszr1

you could use them for moraccas. sure is weird let us know what ya find out . i sure would think twice about using them on the car though .
jonszr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010   #9
FULLPWR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonszr1 View Post
you could use them for moraccas. sure is weird let us know what ya find out . i sure would think twice about using them on the car though .
yea nah Im not going to stick em back in, got to get some more, then open these up see what the.. in there.
Old 05-30-2010   #10
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FULLPWR View Post
yea the perfomance dyanmics #2-0799 just for the hell of it I weighed the spicer and the Neapco's are heavier in gross weight. I dudnt know about denny's but i feel good these will do fine, I like the seals better too.

Man...I just pulled the pass side and the exact same thing....

This is wierd.......I called Rick and shook em next to the phone and he is freaked as well.......

???
Okay, great and those are the good ones with the alumigard for our aluminum shafts. I know there are differing opinions, but the same guys that broke some spicers on the 4X4 scene prefer the Neapcos and they put them though some hell so I thought I would try them.

I bought mine from KSC Direct and they had awesome prices:

http://kscdirect.com/search_results....&q=+NEAPCO+INC+

Tough call on the clunking and I did not find out until after I had them powdercoated so my main reason for just going with it. Had I not taken them off I would have never known.

Good luck and I hope it all works out.
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote