ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 02-05-2014   #21
GOLDCYLON

Default Re: Daytime driving lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
I dislike the factory DRL solution but agree with the idea of DRL to make you more visible. I use the driving lights (manually). I looked at the web electrics kit and thought it looked good but wasn't happy with the idea of cutting in to the harness. With the quality of drivers around here anything you can do to be seen isn't enough.

I agree the factory option on our C4 cars for the Canadian option sucked.

While the web electric product indeed does require some splicing into the factory harness it uses the amber turn signals as the DRLs. Which is a better option than GM had come up with at the time .

As to stupid drivers believe me Dave they are everywhere regardless of ALL your efforts.

http://www.webelectricproducts.com/ $39.00 !!!! pretty slick and cheap mod
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V

Last edited by GOLDCYLON; 02-05-2014 at 09:37 AM.
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014   #22
Hog

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod-v8 View Post
I agree. I never will agree that drl's add safety. If somebody can't see a 3000+ lb car coming down the road, in either daylight or a bit cloudy, then you should not be driving a car.

Must be a conspiracy to sell more light bulbs.
So motocycles should drive around wit their lights OFF, even during the day?

You assume that peoples vision is the issue when it's not "usually". Its about "grabbing" drivers attention.
The weight of the vehicle is irrelevant, Schrades stats illuminate the obvious.

ZR-1 Net Registry Member #1494
Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014   #23
DaveK

On the way to the Gathering last year between Sudbury and Toronto (roughly a 4 hour drive) I had 4 near misses, I have pretty good reactions and I'm glad - if I didn't each one would have been a major wreck. A few weeks ago a guy in the right lane suddenly decided to turn left and ripped off the front of my daily driver - an SUV...

It's nothing to do with vision or anything like that and all to do with people not paying attention. Too busy messing with their radios, phones, watching videos, yacking to their passengers, balling out their kids etc.

Darryl are the turn signals brighter/more visible than the driving lights? If so I might reconsider it. I'm currently looking to update the lights where possible after the trip last year.
1991 #1516 Black/Black

davidmkelly.com

"Speed is often confused with insight." - Johan Cruijff
DaveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014   #24
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
On the way to the Gathering last year between Sudbury and Toronto (roughly a 4 hour drive) I had 4 near misses, I have pretty good reactions and I'm glad - if I didn't each one would have been a major wreck. A few weeks ago a guy in the right lane suddenly decided to turn left and ripped off the front of my daily driver - an SUV...

It's nothing to do with vision or anything like that and all to do with people not paying attention. Too busy messing with their radios, phones, watching videos, yacking to their passengers, balling out their kids etc.

Darryl are the turn signals brighter/more visible than the driving lights? If so I might reconsider it. I'm currently looking to update the lights where possible after the trip last year.

No they are not but keep in mind unlike the white string of pearl LED DRLs that we all see today. Ours are amber lights that also can be clearly seen in the daytime. SUVs and trucks are always a problem because they tend to be high profile and we are so low to the ground. Also folks not paying attention is a real issue. My argument is to do everything you can to make yourself more visable which is why I use LED lights as well. A few weeks ago I was almost hit by an F350 in the rear end on the freeway. I had to pull forward more to avoid being smacked in the rear I saw him in my rear mirror throwing up paperwork he was obviously reading to grip his steering wheel. The other was a Toyota 4 wheel drive I was along side in the slow lane who decided to join me in my lane. His wife in the passenger seat of the Toyota told him I was there and he corrected. Both drivers with their hand gestures were apologetic and the "sorry we messed up" gestures however I was not amused. So I do my part. I drive defensively, I have improved the visibility of my car all things I could point out later legally that I was more than a responsibile driver.

Everybody has an opinion so if you dont like them thats fine with me however for me this is a smart mod, cheap and as I pointed out earlier well thought out so not to confuse a on coming driver when you want to turn. It wont protect you from the idiots however it increases your odds safety wise IMHO. Your mileage may vary.

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V

Last edited by GOLDCYLON; 02-05-2014 at 12:00 PM.
Old 02-05-2014   #25
DaveK

Yeah when I was hit a few weeks ago I was driving my SUV - so you'd think I'd be visible enough. It's not even black! :/ the other guy was in an F150 or something like that. No mirror check, no turn signal just "I'm going left" and BANG.

Where I live is a small side street of a highway, you almost do a 180 to enter it and have to slow down almost to a stop. I couldn't tell you how many times I've nearly been rear-ended there regardless of what I'm driving and I am always very careful to make sure I put the turn signal early etc.

I'm adding LEDs also, just need things to warm up so I can install them. Got the CHMSL from Jeff (thanks for the lead on that!)

Funny, when most people I see do stupid things their usual response is hostile and abusive gesturing etc. as though YOU were the one doing something stupid. Oh well.
1991 #1516 Black/Black

davidmkelly.com

"Speed is often confused with insight." - Johan Cruijff
DaveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014   #26
GOLDCYLON

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTT2LEyjdC4

Reminds me of this country song. However, the Foreign car driving dude is driving a Mustang lol

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
Old 02-05-2014   #27
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog View Post
So motocycles should drive around wit their lights OFF, even during the day?

You assume that peoples vision is the issue when it's not "usually". Its about "grabbing" drivers attention.
The weight of the vehicle is irrelevant, Schrades stats illuminate the obvious.
Are we talking motorcycles or cars?

Motorcycles yes, automobiles, no!!!!
1993 ZR-1 #211 Yellow On Beige Beast #2
1992 ZR-1 #427 Black On Black *Sold*
1985 L98 Blue On Blue *Sold*
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014   #28
dredgeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDCYLON View Post
I agree the factory option on our C4 cars for the Canadian option sucked.

While the web electric product indeed does require some splicing into the factory harness it uses the amber turn signals as the DRLs. Which is a better option than GM had come up with at the time .

As to stupid drivers believe me Dave they are everywhere regardless of ALL your efforts.

http://www.webelectricproducts.com/ $39.00 !!!! pretty slick and cheap mod
The Brake Light Pulser on the Web Electric site is also interesting to grab other drivers attention when you are braking. We stop a lot quicker then most.

1992 Bright Red/Black ZR1 #246
Dana 4:10 gears
Polished LT5 by Haibeck
Polished Fikse FM5's with Michelin Pilot Sport 2
Stainless Works headers and cats with Corsa
dredgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014   #29
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredgeguy View Post
The Brake Light Pulser on the Web Electric site is also interesting to grab other drivers attention when you are braking. We stop a lot quicker then most.

havent thought about the brake flasher hmmm

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

11 RED/GREY CTS-V