ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 10-10-2013   #11
Don in VT

Default Re: Unusual Coolant Issue

Hi

An update at 1:00 PM Vermont time,

I needed to use the ZR for a 1 mile trip to the store. When I backed out of the garage I left the car running while I went in the house to get something to take with me. When I go in the car I noticed that the heater was beginning to blow warm air. When I got to the store the temp gauges had just moved off low peg. When I got back in to go home the water gauge had moved up a bit the oil temp was still at the low peg. I decided to take it down the road a ways to check this new condition out and I found that the water and oil temp was moving up VERY slowly. Much slower then ever before. I drove about 10 miles and checked, by feel, the temp of both water manifolds and the cam covers and they seemed to be reasonable and not too hot. The water temp gauge worked its way up to 140 and the oil was about 110. On the water temp I usually run about 180.

Sorry for the long winded story but I now am convinced that I have a flakey thermostat and it is now stuck open. It may not be the whole story but I am going to change it out anyway.

More later

Don
Don in VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013   #12
WARP TEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in VT View Post
Hi

An update at 1:00 PM Vermont time,

I needed to use the ZR for a 1 mile trip to the store. When I backed out of the garage I left the car running while I went in the house to get something to take with me. When I go in the car I noticed that the heater was beginning to blow warm air. When I got to the store the temp gauges had just moved off low peg. When I got back in to go home the water gauge had moved up a bit the oil temp was still at the low peg. I decided to take it down the road a ways to check this new condition out and I found that the water and oil temp was moving up VERY slowly. Much slower then ever before. I drove about 10 miles and checked, by feel, the temp of both water manifolds and the cam covers and they seemed to be reasonable and not too hot. The water temp gauge worked its way up to 140 and the oil was about 110. On the water temp I usually run about 180.

Sorry for the long winded story but I now am convinced that I have a flakey thermostat and it is now stuck open. It may not be the whole story but I am going to change it out anyway.

More later

Don
In normal driving it takes me about 5-8 minutes to get oil temp up to 160. --Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013   #13
Don in VT

Hi Warp 10,

Thanks for the input

Yes, my oil temp rises much slower then the coolant but my oil temp only get to about 130 tops. For the water temp I use the HVAC diagnostics to get the actual water temp. Works great and it is somewhat accurate as well.

Cheers,

Don
Old 10-10-2013   #14
Schrade

Quote:
If there is no flow the engine is air locked ...
Air 'locked'?

Does this mean that trapped air won't push through, and get 'burped' in a few drive cycles???
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]

Last edited by Schrade; 10-11-2013 at 12:02 PM.
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013   #15
Don in VT

Hi All, Thanks for all the replies.

Replaced the thermostat. Bought the stat from Jerry's Gaskets so I know it is the correct one. Checked air bleeds, all clear. Thanks Mark H.
Runs great.

Installing 2 new wheel bearings later this week then the ZR is off to its winter slumber. Can't wait till spring.

Cheers,

Don