ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 10-09-2016   #1
onetinsoldier

Default 6th gear shakes ?

Ok why is it that shifting into 6th at 65mph , makes everything shake like its coming apart ? It kinda clears up around 80mph ,is it low rpm's due to 2;73 rear gears ? Not going fast enough for proper gear meshing ? ok open for answers !
onetinsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016   #2
GOLDCYLON

Default Re: 6th gear shakes ?

Is the shifter rising during your shifts ? 6th gear is normally used after 70 mph. Wait a minute 2:73 gears ?
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V

Last edited by GOLDCYLON; 10-09-2016 at 11:32 PM.
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016   #3
A26B

Have you checked to know for certain what the differential gear ratio is?

Easy enough to do.
(1) raise both rear wheels off the ground,
(2) Transmission in neutral,
(3) rotate rear wheels, while watching pinion yoke, until the one of the 2 yoke joints is looking straight at you from the side,
(4) mark the tire at 12:00,
(5) rotate the wheel, counting the revolutions of the tire, until the pinion yoke has completed 1 complete revolution & no more/less.
(6) Observe the clocking of the tire mark, i.e. 9:00 for example.
(7) Multiply the clock position (example: 9:00 x 0.083 = 0.747 & add the number of complete revolutions (example: 0.747+3.0 = 3.75) and you have the differential ratio.

You don't mention the tach reading when you shift into 6th gear. What is the rpm @ 65mph when you shift?

The shake is probably due to the miss you've inquired about in your other post.
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016   #4
onetinsoldier

I will go test it to get the rpm , gear ratio is definitely 3:73 , I was told it was 2:70 . I know that there is some kind of electronic box , I assume is to correct the speedo , near the battery . But 3 and 3/4 driveshaft turns to one complete tire rotation answers that !

ok its twisting 4300 rpm at 65mph , how accurate that tach is , I have no idea !

Last edited by onetinsoldier; 10-11-2016 at 11:21 AM.
Old 10-11-2016   #5
WVZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetinsoldier View Post
I will go test it to get the rpm , gear ratio is definitely 3:73 , I was told it was 2:70 . I know that there is some kind of electronic box , I assume is to correct the speedo , near the battery . But 3 and 3/4 driveshaft turns to one complete tire rotation answers that !

ok its twisting 4300 rpm at 65mph , how accurate that tach is , I have no idea !
Is the car still running OE 315/35-17 or some other combination? With the KEY-ON engine NOT running does the TACH park at 0 ?

What year is this car?
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016   #6
onetinsoldier

Its a 91 .Factory tire size front and rear . Yes the tach stays at zero key on , engine off.
Old 10-11-2016   #7
WVZR-1

Do a drive in 4th (4th 1:00 ratio) gear and record speeds at a few different RPM - try 1000, 1200, 1500, 1700 and 2000. Maybe just use 3 or 4 of those.

Now maybe do the same drives using the SPEEDO at 40, 50, 60 and 70 and record the RPM display. If you have a GPS maybe record also the GPS display at those speeds and the effective calibration of the DRA/ERA could be determined.

Using a 3.73 and a tire diameter just a little short of the advertised 25.68 I might expect

1000 - 20+, 1200 - 25-, 1500 - 30+, 1700 - 34+, 2000 - 41-, 3000 - 61+, 4000 - 82

I used a calculator that I've used before for just random comparisons. I did no math but I believe I have in the past. I didn't use a calculator to go MPH to RPM, didn't figure it necessary if you do the TACH to MPH display and the MPH display to GPS.

** I didn't take into consideration that I believe the ZR-1 TACH is 1K, 1500 and 2K incrementally so you might just do those three and I stretched the expected to 3K and 4K.

You could use the C68 display to confirm the cluster tach operation OR a scanner

Last edited by WVZR-1; 10-11-2016 at 03:23 PM.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016   #8
A26B

Quote:
Ok why is it that shifting into 6th at 65mph , makes everything shake like its coming apart ? It kinda clears up around 80mph ,is it low rpm's due to 2;73 rear gears ? Not going fast enough for proper gear meshing ? ok open for answers !
OK, given that you have now confirmed 3.73 gears in a follow-up post, there is no question that you should be able to accelerate smoothly from 65mph in 6th gear.

NOT a gear meshing issue.

I suspect a spark problem.
May be be coils or wires.

Check spark;
Suggest you use a spare spark plug to test with. Best done in dim light
Engine off remove one plug wire
Insert spare plug in plug boot.
Ground plug
Start engine
Gradually increase distance of plug from ground & observe spark color & length.

Good spark is blue in color & will jump 1/2"~3/4"
Weak spark is orange in color & will not jump far from ground
Bad spark is obvious

If you have weak spark, note the cylinder number.

Repeat for all 8 cylinders

I'm not an advocate of measuring resistance of paired cylinder plug wires & the coil all together. It serves no real purpose since the plenum has to come off for either wires or coil. With the plenum removed, you can ohm the plug wires individually and check the coil independently for meaningful results.

If all 8 cylinders have good spark, then your problem is most likely fuel injector related.
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
Old 10-31-2016   #9
onetinsoldier

Well spark isn't an issue ! I did change the O2 sensors which made somewhat of a difference .Now only #8 seems to foul -sooty . I'm wondering if the injectors need cleaning , the car is only driven a few times a year ?
Old 10-31-2016   #10
A26B

Quote:
Well spark isn't an issue ! I did change the O2 sensors which made somewhat of a difference .Now only #8 seems to foul -sooty . I'm wondering if the injectors need cleaning , the car is only driven a few times a year ?
Quote:
the car is only driven a few times a year ?
Is the fuel fresh or treated with fuel stabilizer?
Do you keep the fuel tank full when not being driven?

Quote:
I'm wondering if the injectors need cleaning
Understand you have a 1991 ZR-1. Original 89~92 model ZR-1 injectors are venerable to damage from gasoline/ethanol blended fuel. Unless you use only 100% gasoline (no ethanol), it is likely that your problem is fuel injector related. Cleaning the injectors will not remedy injectors damaged by ethanol.

Quote:
Now only #8 seems to foul -sooty
The correct fix is to replace all 16 injectors with modern injectors manufactured with components that are compatible with ethanol.

Last edited by A26B; 10-31-2016 at 10:33 AM.