ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 06-07-2014   #141
XfireZ51

Default Re: 4.10 gears...not what I expected.

Whether you have 4.10s or 3:45s, if both cars shift at the same 7000rpm, isn't the rpm drop based on the trans? Closed v Wide ratio trans.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014   #142
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
Whether you have 4.10s or 3:45s, if both cars shift at the same 7000rpm, isn't the rpm drop based on the trans? Closed v Wide ratio trans.
You can bet on it. The gear ratios in the trans remain the same w/o regard to what is on the other end of the drive shaft.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014   #143
XfireZ51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
You can bet on it. The gear ratios in the trans remain the same w/o regard to what is on the other end of the drive shaft.
so I guess we're done w this discussion.
Old 06-11-2014   #144
Mystic ZR-1

Are the guts of a Dana 44 the same across applications? I know the housings differ.
In other words, should a competent guy who does Dana 44 work for off road trucks and
Jeeps etc be able to work on a Corvette rear? Key word here is competent...
Contemplating a change to 4.10s.
Mystic ZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014   #145
WVZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic ZR-1 View Post
Are the guts of a Dana 44 the same across applications? I know the housings differ.
In other words, should a competent guy who does Dana 44 work for off road trucks and
Yes !
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014   #146
efnfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic ZR-1 View Post
Really Doug?
I have a guy locally I trust a lot if you're looking for someone.
efnfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014   #147
Fully Vetted

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLSHOTS View Post
Picked up the car yesterday after having the stock 3.45 changed to 4.10 Danas. It appears that I am a victim of my own inflated expectations. After hearing the accolades and reading on this forum a post from a guy who literally said he practically had to "relearn to drive the car" after getting 4.10s, I guess I expected the car to take flight or something. Hmmm, not quite. Yeah, I can tell a small difference but I'd be willing to bet the car is no quicker to a stopwatch, which is kind of a bitter pill to swallow when I just spent $1500 to get "18% more torque to the rear wheels at all engine RPM", according to Marc.

Driving the 2 ratios back to back, I don't feel any 18% torque difference. Not even close. And yes, I did confirm that the stock 3.45s came out of the car. I can say this for sure: if your car is stock or near stock and you're thinking about new gears, DO NOT do anything less than 4.10s. You'd be flushing money down the toilet. Just my 2 cents.
So, I just got my car back from Corey who installed 3.90's and I kind of see what you're talking about. I expected this hair on fire experience of having trouble keeping the front wheels on the ground and that's not what happened. However, after a week of driving it and breaking them in now I absolutely love them. It almost felt like the car was slower at first because I was carrying more speed into the 2nd and 3rd shift points and it was noticeable. I got there quicker but I wasn't going as fast. The real beauty of these things though is hitting 3rd gear. That, too me, is where you make up anything you feel you may have lost because this thing hauls the mail now in 3rd and 4th gear. The RPM's are staying right in the meat of the curve and it never ever lets up.

I'm wondering if your impression has changed any now that you've had it a month or so? Mine certainly did.

1994 AB/Grey #141

430 RWHP/392 RWTQ

FBI Lyposuction / Secondaries relieved of duty / SW Long Tube Headers / Corsa Exhaust / FIC SS Injectors / MSD Coils / Lightweight Pulleys / Corey tuned
B & M Shifter / Aluminum Flywheel / Samco Hoses / Shelby Series One's / C4 No Flex Frame Stiffener

BBC - Bling By Carter:
Custom ZR-1 Center Caps / Custom Plenum Plate / Air Box Knobs / TB Cover / Oil Filter Cover
Fully Vetted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014   #148
XfireZ51

Smooth cars are fast cars
Old 08-01-2014   #149
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fully Vetted View Post
So, I just got my car back from Corey who installed 3.90's and I kind of see what you're talking about. I expected this hair on fire experience of having trouble keeping the front wheels on the ground and that's not what happened. However, after a week of driving it and breaking them in now I absolutely love them. It almost felt like the car was slower at first because I was carrying more speed into the 2nd and 3rd shift points and it was noticeable. I got there quicker but I wasn't going as fast. The real beauty of these things though is hitting 3rd gear. That, too me, is where you make up anything you feel you may have lost because this thing hauls the mail now in 3rd and 4th gear. The RPM's are staying right in the meat of the curve and it never ever lets up.

I'm wondering if your impression has changed any now that you've had it a month or so? Mine certainly did.
Dittos...

I too find the performance trade-offs interesting, as the advantages between the stock 3.45 vs. 4.10s goes back and forth, depending on what the immediate application is:

Ami's 91 ZR-1 "Turq Monster" with 4.10s has approx 5% more hp than my 3.45 "Phoenix" and the combination of rear gear and brute hp tops my car in the quarter, every time. From the seat of the pants, it is a thrill to drive on the street and on country roads. However, in longer contests, the differences are less obvious.

Case in point:

Bob Banks' ZR-1 and my motors are pretty close, power wise: both @ or near the 510 chp range. However, Bob has 4.10s and I have the stock 3.45s in the rear.

One example does not a trend make, but we ran side-by-side at the last 1/2 mile WANNAGOFAST event last June. What I observed I think might be pertinent to this discussion (my reason for sharing it):

We started from a soft dig: more or less even. However, by the 1/2 way point (quarter mile), Bob had 3 to 3-1/2 lengths on me. I suspect Bob was still in 4th at that point, and had to shift into 5th as I was just shifting into 4th. That is when the gap began to close, and was whittled down to 1-1/2 to 2 lengths at the finish.

In the end, Bob (4.10 gear) crossed the 1/2 mile trap at 138+ mph in 5th and the "Phoenix" with the 3.45s crossed at 144+mph, & still in 4th. However, in spite of gaining on him, he still beat me to the 1/2 mile finish! That initial lead afforded by the 4.10s was too much to overcome, in spite of a significant speed advantage the Phoenix had - at least at the 1/2 mile point.

So, I dunno... Now having opportunity to experience both ratios; 4.10s vs. 3.45s, the each have their place. I like the snap Ami's car has when passing on the highway - and the extra 20-30(?) ponies at the wheels is just the cherry on top. But, I also like that long hard pull my car has to 90ish mph in 2nd gear, following a 5-2 downshift from about 45-50 mph. The 3.45 ratio delivers more torque to the rear wheels (above 75 mph) than the 4.10s do in 3rd, in spite of the 5% hp advantage, and without the additional shift too boot.

So, depending on what or where one likes performance to kick in, moving to a 4.10 ratio might not be "the bee's knees". Having both to compare back and forth makes the distinction much clearer now, and I've cooled to the notion of 4.10s just a little, now that I have that and the 3.45 ratio to compare it with. Maybe 3.73s or 3.90s? And, (to the OP) so it goes....

Paul.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry

Last edited by Paul Workman; 08-02-2014 at 08:55 AM. Reason: grammar
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014   #150
5ABI VT

Paul what mph was the 'soft dig' from ? Rolling in 1st?
5ABI VT is offline   Reply With Quote