ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 08-01-2014   #151
XfireZ51

Default Re: 4.10 gears...not what I expected.

Paul,

Your results in the 1/2mile mimic how Lee and I ran with VERY similarly modded 92s several years ago at Byron. Lee got to the big end about .3-.4 quicker than me. His 1/8 trap was about 2 mph faster than mine, however I would gain on him in the second 1/8 (not enough to get around him) and our 1/4mile traps were virtually identical. Lee has 4.10s and I had the 3.45s
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014   #152
KILLSHOTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fully Vetted View Post
So, I just got my car back from Corey who installed 3.90's and I kind of see what you're talking about. I expected this hair on fire experience of having trouble keeping the front wheels on the ground and that's not what happened. However, after a week of driving it and breaking them in now I absolutely love them. It almost felt like the car was slower at first because I was carrying more speed into the 2nd and 3rd shift points and it was noticeable. I got there quicker but I wasn't going as fast. The real beauty of these things though is hitting 3rd gear. That, too me, is where you make up anything you feel you may have lost because this thing hauls the mail now in 3rd and 4th gear. The RPM's are staying right in the meat of the curve and it never ever lets up.

I'm wondering if your impression has changed any now that you've had it a month or so? Mine certainly did.
Hey David,

Yes, I definitely like them better than I did at first. It sounds like we had similar experiences relative to inflated expectations. Once I came to grips with the fact that I had simply expected too much, I began evaluating the mod more objectively. The car moves away from a stop easier and feels more "drivable" in almost all circumstances. I'm happy with them now. Glad you are too!
KILLSHOTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014   #153
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ABI VT View Post
Paul what mph was the 'soft dig' from ? Rolling in 1st?
It was a standing start, but with slightly less aggressive rpm and clutch release than typical of a "balls to the walls" quarter mile "ET" contest. This was for top-end primarily: not ET per se'.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014   #154
Fully Vetted

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLSHOTS View Post
Hey David,

Yes, I definitely like them better than I did at first. It sounds like we had similar experiences relative to inflated expectations. Once I came to grips with the fact that I had simply expected too much, I began evaluating the mod more objectively. The car moves away from a stop easier and feels more "drivable" in almost all circumstances. I'm happy with them now. Glad you are too!
I thought you might be. It feels like the car went on about a 500 lb diet. Very froggy and eager to run.

Paul, I think with modded motors like ours the taller gears are fine. That's why I did 3.90's vs 4.10's. We have the power to pull those tall gears in 1st and 2nd. For the same reason if I added boost I would never do 3.90's or 4.10's. Don't need to. Shorter gears are a great equalizer when you are short on power. IMHO, the more power you have the less gear you need.

1994 AB/Grey #141

430 RWHP/392 RWTQ

FBI Lyposuction / Secondaries relieved of duty / SW Long Tube Headers / Corsa Exhaust / FIC SS Injectors / MSD Coils / Lightweight Pulleys / Corey tuned
B & M Shifter / Aluminum Flywheel / Samco Hoses / Shelby Series One's / C4 No Flex Frame Stiffener

BBC - Bling By Carter:
Custom ZR-1 Center Caps / Custom Plenum Plate / Air Box Knobs / TB Cover / Oil Filter Cover
Fully Vetted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014   #155
XfireZ51

I installed 3.73s for mine and when power is transmitted through 19" wheels, acts like a 3.55. I would be tempted to try 3.90s
Old 08-02-2014   #156
Paul Workman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fully Vetted View Post
I thought you might be. It feels like the car went on about a 500 lb diet. Very froggy and eager to run.

Paul, I think with modded motors like ours the taller gears are fine. That's why I did 3.90's vs 4.10's. We have the power to pull those tall gears in 1st and 2nd. For the same reason if I added boost I would never do 3.90's or 4.10's. Don't need to. Shorter gears are a great equalizer when you are short on power. IMHO, the more power you have the less gear you need.
Dave, I have come to agree with much of your (and Dom's) opinion. I too am starting to lean toward the 3.90s as having favor between the 4.10 and 3.90 ratios. Fact is, I just LOVE that 2nd gear/90 mph roll-out...and the resulting look on a few ricer's and LS drivers' faces...priceless!

90 #1202
Sans secondaries

Old 08-02-2014   #157
XfireZ51

Paul,

Just to clarify, I'd consider 3.90's due to the 19" wheels. That would get me to a real world ~3.73. A 4.10 gets me to 3.90s. Having a 3.73 would be a nice compromise gear but its nothing compelling. Not sure it would even be that noticeable. When I had the stock 3.45s, my real gear was about a 3.30.
Old 08-02-2014   #158
Paul Workman

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
Paul,

Just to clarify, I'd consider 3.90's due to the 19" wheels. That would get me to a real world ~3.73. A 4.10 gets me to 3.90s. Having a 3.73 would be a nice compromise gear but its nothing compelling. Not sure it would even be that noticeable. When I had the stock 3.45s, my real gear was about a 3.30.
Yep. In your case, Dom, the bigger wheels/diameter would affect the ratios us mortal Z drivers are discussing. It is very easy to factor for your app by d1/d2 x R1*

*where d1 is the distance your new (bigger) wheels cover in one revolution vs. d2 the distance the stock 17" wheel/tire size covers in one revolution, and R1 being the stock 3.45 ratio.

90 #1202
Sans secondaries

Last edited by Paul Workman; 08-03-2014 at 06:10 AM. Reason: for clarification
Old 08-02-2014   #159
WVZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
Paul,

You constantly try to mess with the conversation. Your REAL GEAR is what ever the numerical numbers (ring gear/pinion) dictate. Your tire diameters alter your 'final drive' but you constantly fail to mention that. You mention 'real world' - real world is same as 'real gear' - it's the mathematical numbers of the gear set.

19" wheels don't have anything to do with ratio's either and you constantly mention that. There is absolutely no truth to the conversation of yours that I just quoted.

If you want to discuss final drive ratio mention the tire specifications, rear gear and people can maybe relate better.

You might try referring to the tire dimension change as effective ratio and mention the tire dimensions (real measured vs. advertised) and it could more easily be understood. I don't recall you mentioning the tire size but maybe just once, that's the real relevance for comparisons 15", 16" 17" or 20" wheels have no effect on any of it. It's the 'outer circle'.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 08-02-2014 at 11:36 AM.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014   #160
tf95ZR1

This gear ratio discussion has my head (and tires) spinning!
R R R
tf95ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote