ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > Racing > Personal Racing Stories

Old 02-02-2014   #1
mike100

Default Not too worried about C5 Z06's anymore

I have a vette friend who changes cars every 6 months to a year. at the moment, he has a 2004 C5 Z- completely stock. A nice 15k mile Z16...

So we got off a light on a 20 mph roll on the way to the local cars-n-coffee down by the beach. I guess my recent round of modifications really paid off because I was pulling on him in both first and second gear. We didn't go through 3rd, but it was kind of effortless. I even let off and shifted into 2nd slowly and then caught him again. Maybe my car is making 440-450 crank hp now. He did have a passenger, but still (making the cars the same weight), I can only see him getting out of the hole better, no way a stock c5 is gonna get me. I wasn't too sure before, but now I know!
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014   #2
bradley

Default Re: Not too worried about C5 Z06's anymore

good job the c5 guys get a really funny look when you go by them , it is even more fun messing with the bmws. they can be tough at the strip as they 60 foot way better but on the street or a little freeway punch off you go by them pretty quick. I am going to see bill tonight so I may have some more fun on the way over
bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014   #3
scottfab

I live on the side of a mountain. About three weeks ago there was a chance to see what a local (in my neighborhood) 04 Z06 could do climbing the road up to the turn off to the neighborhood.
He turned to go up the hill and I could see him get on it so, like a cat with a pulled string, I punched it. I think he was shocked that I stayed right with him =D>
The kid that owns it parks it OUTSIDE !
I'll strike up a conversation soon.

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014   #4
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

For the past 5-6(?) years now the FBI gang has participated in a local 1/4 mile all Corvette Shootout. Stock to stock the C5s will jump the ZR-1s at the line - grab a car length or so, but the Z's always run 'em down at the big end. Those Zs with the renown "500" package have nothing to fear from stock LS3s, and nibble on the C6 ZO6s (except for Pete's car that annihilates C6s, ZR1s included!!)

Cubic inch for cubic inch, the big inch LT5s run low middle 10s at over 130 mph - good enough to win 2 of the last 3 team trophy shootouts! (We only missed out on 3 in a row because the host changed the rules to incorporate bracket racing (and if you broke out of your bracket, your time slip was disallowed).

IMO, it's "peak horsepower" that fools a lot of people. HP is derived by calculation, but the rear wheels turn/accelerate based on the torque applied to them over the entire course. The ol' power under the curve gets 'em every time.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote