ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 NCRS for ZR-1s

Old 11-25-2013   #11
Daniel_Mc

Default Re: NCRS judging

Quote:
Originally Posted by taximan View Post
...I know NCRS has a reputation of being filled with a bunch of elitists a$$holes. And believe me, they have some...

That is an understatement to say the least. After the way I was treated at the 2013 Deep South Regional I will never enter a car in a NCRS event again.

Quote:
...But in large part its pretty good people looking to preserve the Corvette legacy...

I have had the pleasure to meet some absolutely outstanding and knowledgeable people over the years in the NCRS. They are passionate about what they do and represent a significant part of the Corvette hobby.

Quote:
It's more of a business than a club now.

Agreed.

-Daniel
Daniel_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013   #12
edram454

Having been a NCRS member for a number of years, I find it impossible to own a NCRS car and drive it. I am not a guy who drives the heck out of my corvettes but even a little will eventually deteriorate those unreplaceable parts.

One year I studied and practically memorized the 1968, 1969 Judging manual. I wrote to them asking to be tested to judge or helping out on these years. I had a 1969 so I knew the car 100%. They never replied so I would go to shows and see what they would do and how they would judge. One year, when the NCRS winter meet was in cypress gardens, I came across a 1969 350/300 hp without a air pump. the judges were gigging the owner because his car lacked a smog pump... they didnt know that near the end of the production run, if your car was a 350/300hp automatic with air, the factory omitted the smog pump and you can tell since the exhaust manifolds did not have the holes for the a.i.r. system. I knew then that I had more knowledge than the judges.

I then steered away from those types of shows and concentrated more on well detailed but nice driving cars. I prefer modded since they run so much better. Drive your cars. It doesnt have to be alot but enjoy while you are still able to enjoy the ride. I am 55 and soon will be 65 etc... drive it. You wont live forever. remember, the car you painstakingly save, will one day, when you are gone, be in the hands of a tennager doing donuts with it.

edramos. #3028
edram454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014   #13
jrd1990zr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Townsley View Post
NCRS is a club and as such is somewhat limited by the number of employees and volunteers available to answer questions from club members. This is especially true when trying to get information in its data files.

Tyler
I've got to agree with Mystic, It is still a club at the Chapter level.

Last edited by jrd1990zr1; 03-15-2014 at 08:37 PM.
jrd1990zr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014   #14
XfireZ51

Quote:
Originally Posted by edram454 View Post
Having been a NCRS member for a number of years, I find it impossible to own a NCRS car and drive it. I am not a guy who drives the heck out of my corvettes but even a little will eventually deteriorate those unreplaceable parts.

One year I studied and practically memorized the 1968, 1969 Judging manual. I wrote to them asking to be tested to judge or helping out on these years. I had a 1969 so I knew the car 100%. They never replied so I would go to shows and see what they would do and how they would judge. One year, when the NCRS winter meet was in cypress gardens, I came across a 1969 350/300 hp without a air pump. the judges were gigging the owner because his car lacked a smog pump... they didnt know that near the end of the production run, if your car was a 350/300hp automatic with air, the factory omitted the smog pump and you can tell since the exhaust manifolds did not have the holes for the a.i.r. system. I knew then that I had more knowledge than the judges.

I then steered away from those types of shows and concentrated more on well detailed but nice driving cars. I prefer modded since they run so much better. Drive your cars. It doesnt have to be alot but enjoy while you are still able to enjoy the ride. I am 55 and soon will be 65 etc... drive it. You wont live forever. remember, the car you painstakingly save, will one day, when you are gone, be in the hands of a tennager doing donuts with it.

edramos. #3028
Ed,

I worked in a GM Assembly plant for 6 years. One of my assignments was in Material Inventory Control. My responsibility was tires, radiators, A/C., Ignition.
My job was to keep the line running. Whatever it took. If we ran out of parts we subd. So cars were built with "incorrect" parts from other compatible models.
Does NCRS consider this. Doubtful.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014   #15
taximan

The very knowledgeable NCRS people (and their are many), and the knowledgeable and practical "NCRS people", are a different category.

I think if people take a deep breath and realize that the judges are supposed to judge on what was "typical" factory production. That doesnt mean factory abnormalities didnt occur. And if they can be proved, the judges usually give the owner the benefit of the doubt. They really do want people to enjoy the hobby, and maybe learn more about their car.

I am always reminded of the day in August of 1991 when I was waiting in line at Corvettes at Carlisle to get a Zora autograph on my hat. In the line signing also was a St. Louis factory worker named "Ernie". Ernie was signing next to Zora. At the same time the Delaware Valley NCRS was hosting a regional judging meet next to the tent. While waiting in the line someone asked Ernie about observing the judging going on next to him. Ernie laughed and said, NO thanks, I tried that, but when I saw judges deducting for screws with the wrong letter on top, I had to leave. Ernie went on to say that in 1962, the last year of the C1, he and others made frequent runs to the local hardware store to get any screws and bolts that they could, because this was the last run of the 1962 Corvette. And he said quality control didnt exist then.
1995 "Last" Admiral Blue ZR1 #438
Member # 760
NCM Lifetime member #1005
NCRS # 23110

[I][B]Sting Rays Corvette Club of Florida
Gold Coast Corvettes Club[/B][/I]
taximan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014   #16
Jetjock

Quote:
I will be more than happy to help anyone with questions or suggestions. Just post in the NCRS section of this forum.
I, for one, will take you up on this. I have been a member of NCRS for several years now but have done nothing with it because I have a 92 ZR-1 that needs help in a lot of areas. Gave up on that idea. However, I just bought a 93 Ruby Red Z that looks like it could be the one. It does have some minor issues such as the dim switch doesn't work, it has a K&N air filter on it and it has slotted, drilled brakes on it. Car looks gorgeous. I looked at the NCRS manual for the car and I noticed a lot of mistakes in the pictures and content.

This Ruby is my seventh Vette that I have owned. I have had three ZR-1's along with a 2002 pewter metallic coupe, a 1989 dark blue coupe, a 2003 A. E. coupe, and a 1991 black coupe. I work on my own cars. I fly jets for an airline and I am very detailed oriented. The thing that I am concerned with is judges, that go with this manual, would deduct stuff for things are supposed to be like that if that makes any sense. I have a few things to care of on the car first but I would welcome any direction in achieving my goal.

Thanks,

If I feel the need for speed,
I just think about flying the B-777.

1989 Dk Blue Coupe lost in divorce
1991 Black Coupe SOLD
1992 Black ZR-1 #423 SOLD!
1993 Ruby Red 40th Anniversary ZR-1 #334
1995 Black ZR-1 taken by ex-wife
2002 Pewter Coupe no idea where it is
2003 50th Anniversary Corvette #No idea what number SOLD!
ZR-1 Net Registry #516
Grand Sport Lifetime Member
NCM Lifetime #1468
ZR-1 Net Registry Board Secretary
Jetjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014   #17
taximan

Roy,

Glad your considering going for it. Sounds like you already went through the manual and matched it up against your Z.

The judges will rely almost exclusively on the judging manual. And that is your point of reference to point out any contested deductions.

If you dont agree with manual items, my suggestion is to contact the C4 judging chairman prior to the judging meet. This person can be found on the NCRS.org site.

And definitely start at a chapter meet.

Let me know if I can help.
1995 "Last" Admiral Blue ZR1 #438
Member # 760
NCM Lifetime member #1005
NCRS # 23110

[I][B]Sting Rays Corvette Club of Florida
Gold Coast Corvettes Club[/B][/I]
taximan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014   #18
Jetjock

Thanks for that. I have contacted the Southeast Region people and the Southeast chapter people. Turns out one in the same. Was going through the paperwork and found some interesting items. Found the original verification of the actual mileage before it was sold and the knockouts for the keys. Missing a few decals on the wheels but can replace them. I do plan to contact the appropriate people before I go to a meet. The first one close to me isn't until Oct, so I have time.

If I feel the need for speed,
I just think about flying the B-777.

1989 Dk Blue Coupe lost in divorce
1991 Black Coupe SOLD
1992 Black ZR-1 #423 SOLD!
1993 Ruby Red 40th Anniversary ZR-1 #334
1995 Black ZR-1 taken by ex-wife
2002 Pewter Coupe no idea where it is
2003 50th Anniversary Corvette #No idea what number SOLD!
ZR-1 Net Registry #516
Grand Sport Lifetime Member
NCM Lifetime #1468
ZR-1 Net Registry Board Secretary
Jetjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018   #19
SitkaSam

I am new to the NCRS scene but I do have 3 ZR1s A 1990, 1993 and a 2011.
My question is about judging. My 93 is in almost original condition except the exhaust system was replaced by prior owner.
Do I need to replace it with original equipment?
Thank you for your help
SitkaSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018   #20
Mystic ZR-1

Depending on how original etc the rest of the car is, the points deducted may not knock you out of Top Flight contention. Get the judging manual for your year car and check out the judging sheets on their website to see what the deductions could be. You start at 4500 points and all you've gotta do is 94% (could be wrong on that %) There's a few freebee points to be had too, for fire extinguisher, NCRS decal also driving mileage to get to the meet.
Study the judging manual!
Good luck!
Mystic ZR-1 is online now   Reply With Quote