ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > Racing > Professional Motor Sports

Old 05-31-2009   #11
flyin ryan

Default Re: Good Weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom72 View Post
I used to really like watching the old super stock class and the modified production class and the gas class and those crazy guys that drove the fuel altereds .......

That's all wicked cool stuff . That said...you wouldn't catch me behind the wheel of one of those fuel altereds .
Old 05-31-2009   #12
tomtom72

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyin ryan View Post
That's all wicked cool stuff . That said...you wouldn't catch me behind the wheel of one of those fuel altereds .
Yea, I thought so too.....I remember when Drag strips used to advertise on the local radio stations for what was coming up in national events and even just what is now called "test and tune nights".....I think we used to call those sessions "grudge match nights"????, on Thursdays?...it used to go along way to keeping it off of the street and it was waaay fun to watch!......or at least I thought so...

But you are right about those guys that drove the AA/altered cars were out there where the buses don't run.....jez, back in the late 60's what were the class rules?...98" wheel base chassis(?), 1800 lbs(?), and a blown & injected motors burning fuel.....Wild Willy something-or -other...I can't remember his name, but you had to be a bit touched to drive one of those things & keep your foot in those cars when they used to get outta shape doing the burn outs.

ah shoot, I think I'm guilty of "waxing nostalgic" sorry Ryan!....but it was great fun back then!....
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009   #13
jonszr1

i remember those fuel altereds. those guys had some steel balls to drive those things . we used to sit at the lights, man that was fun back then .ryan nice job on the motor, bet you could be getting some new business soon.
jonszr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009   #14
flyin ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonszr1 View Post
i remember those fuel altereds. those guys had some steel balls to drive those things . we used to sit at the lights, man that was fun back then .ryan nice job on the motor, bet you could be getting some new business soon.
I'm not sure if those guys had 'Steel' nuts or just didn't know any better at the time . The 'New' buisiness has already started...dosen't take long in this world for word to spread. Guys always chasing the all-mighty HP. As of right now I'm commited to my customer, though. If someone wanted something that runs in a different class than him, well, I'd listen. Not fair of me to sell out his combination that we developed together, IMO. I'm going to post up a pic or two you guys will like .
Old 06-01-2009   #15
flyin ryan

Old school 'INDOOR' Drags. It's the old Amphitheater in Chicago on Halsted by the stockyards, circa 1964. Just plain wicked!!

Old 06-01-2009   #16
flyin ryan

Old 06-01-2009   #17
flyin ryan

Old 06-01-2009   #18
jonszr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyin ryan View Post
I'm not sure if those guys had 'Steel' nuts or just didn't know any better at the time . The 'New' buisiness has already started...dosen't take long in this world for word to spread. Guys always chasing the all-mighty HP. As of right now I'm commited to my customer, though. If someone wanted something that runs in a different class than him, well, I'd listen. Not fair of me to sell out his combination that we developed together, IMO. I'm going to post up a pic or two you guys will like .
yeah dont know if they had steeles, but it was a pet saying of chets, who ran the starting line at freemont raceway in the 70s. sure was a good time back then you could go dragracing 4days aweek. now there is a test and tune twice a month, and thats 200 miles one way to maybe get 3 runs. ah i wish for the good old days
jonszr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009   #19
tomtom72

Those pictures are great! Thanks for sharing them with us Ryan!

Now that's "old school". That building must have been enormous to have indoor drag racing, what a sight that had to be! Jez, and the noise!!

I figured "word" would have not taken long to make the grape vine rounds.
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009   #20
flyin ryan

Here's a pic from the race i was talking about originally