ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 02-03-2017   #11
George Maz

Default Re: Shopping for 1st ZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipsLT5 View Post
Buy one that is driven regularly with records, preferably one from a member here, even better one that has been modded, especially 500 or more HP, lots for sale on this site
I like this approach as well.

Last night I added up a previous owner's 2inch pile of receipts... $22,000 not including any labor, and a few big ticket items that had no receipt. I've personally spent another $12,000 (all I care to admit to). Others have spent this much and more I'm sure.

Find a car that has been gone through completely, not just one that the paint shines. Look at as many Z's as you can, just to compare condition. Spend the extra money up front.
1990 ZR-1 #1587
1990 ZR-1 #1727

Last edited by George Maz; 02-03-2017 at 02:59 AM. Reason: additional comments
George Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017   #12
rush91

Be patient in your search. And don't be afraid to ask ANY questions on here. The members on here, and their knowledge and love of everything ZR-1, was a major factor in my decision to buy my Beast. Just an amazing group of men and women.......
I would agree and go with one that has good service records and is a driver. No offense to those low, low mileage ZR-1's. But in my mind, a low low mileage Z would just take to much $ to get it running good. Replacing injectors, tires, plugs, and I'm sure something vacuum related. I went with a '91 that already had those issues fixed. It all comes down to what you want. But what amazing machines these ZR-1s are!!!!
rush91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017   #13
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedGeek View Post
Hi fellow enthusiast,

I'm in the market for my 1st ZR-1. Found a '90 with almost 90k miles at a dealer, and '92 with just over 20k miles from individual owner. I'm leaning towards the '92. I'm aware of the injector issue, so I will verify if been addressed with service records and negotiate accordingly if it hasn't. Other than that, what else should I be aware of that would've needed to be repaired or replaced either based on the high mileage or age regardless of mileage. Any other pros & cons of high mileage vs low mileage ZR-1s I should be aware of, please advise. Both cars within my budget so not too concerned with footing the maintenance bill if required, just any inconveniences and headache the fix might bring with it. I'll negotiate off price any maintenance not yet done that is required based on mileage or age anyhow. Any additional feedback always greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
My advise to you is to buy the best ZR-1 you can afford. That simple. If you have a particular color combo in mind be prepared to travel. My first Z I traveled to Houston TX and drove it home. My second Z I traveled to Snow hill, North Carolina and also drove it home. Ask for lots of photos and the maintenance history and if any and what modifications have been done. You might be able to ask a member here to look at it for you if its close by. So if you live in SOCAL a quick drive or fly into Las Vegas seems to be a pretty simple arrangement in my mind.
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017   #14
Jagdpanzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2rt View Post
I have a red/red 94 20,000 miles, for sale with the haibeck 500 hp upgrade in Reno, nv. $25k
Great deal on a low mile 94 Haibeck 500.
Shouldn't last long.
George Braml Intake
Jagdpanzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017   #15
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2rt View Post
I have a red/red 94 20,000 miles, for sale with the haibeck 500 hp upgrade in Reno, nv. $25k
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagdpanzer View Post
Shouldn't last long.
Can't go wrong with a Low Mileage Haibeck Restoration and the color is perfect for 500 hp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedGeek View Post
gen2rt's ZR-1 might've been a contender if travel was an option.
Just fly to Reno (get a friend in your area that is familiar with Zs to fly up and drive it to Southern CA). Like Phil suggests......this is a great deal

Give Marc Haibeck a Call......he can fill you in on this Z and you will not have to see it in person first

Marc is the best call you can make and absolutely the most reliable source of information on any particular Z he has worked on.

Last edited by Dynomite; 02-03-2017 at 12:47 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017   #16
PhillipsLT5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagdpanzer View Post

Shouldn't last long.

I agree appears to be a great value to me

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
PhillipsLT5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017   #17
Z51JEFF

There's a 93 floating around that has all the documentation,NCRS crap that's at a smokin price. Wanting to see the car in person is going to severely limit your choices. I'm in Ca and my car was in Ga and wasn't possible to fly out and look at the car. Several members here knew the car which made it easier for me,I had it inspected but still a little unnerving to send a stranger a whole lot of money and hope for the best.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017   #18
tccrab

Talking Re: Shopping for 1st ZR-1

I live 2 hours away from Reno.
Be glad to meet you there.
Probably won't be driving my Z tho, this time of the year the roads are wet and icy, and snow can happen pretty much any time of the day or night.
I'm pretty sure they don't make tire chains for ZR1's.

Crabs
'90ZR1 #792
Honorary Pirate

[B]If it ain't FUN, you're doing something terribly WRONG.
[/B]
tccrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017   #19
SpeedGeek

You'll have given me a lot to consider. Thanks for all the feedback. Definitely need to way my options. I'll for sure ask followup questions as they come up.

Thanks again!
SpeedGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017   #20
Vette73

Consider that 94 with the Haibeck 500 package ...I'm not a red guy but red on red is a great combination..Plus the 94 has the five spoke ZR-1 wheels which to me look better than the saw blades which I have on my 91...Dont think they were standard on the reg C-4 but specific to the ZR-1...

If you drove a 510 Haibeck car I gaurantee you would not want a stock one, believe me.....Remember, to mod a Z especially to get into the heads properly the motor has to come out, so it can get pricey...

Ask for plenty of photos and make a fair offer...If your worried about shipping costs do what I did.I went on U ship .com..Different companies will bid for your service .....I used Montway transport to ship my Z from Chicago....They gave me the lowest quote and I checked out the company before delivery and everything worked out.....I shipped my Z over 800 miles for 425 dollars,open trailer top slot..Just something to consider..
Vette73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying a car, high mileage, low mileage, pros and cons, year comparison