ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 01-15-2019   #1
Chuck Banks

Default Noisy rebuilt starter

I experienced several no crank when hot episodes in my 93,000 mile, '92, and thanks to previous threads on this forum isolated the problem to the starter. I replaced the starter with a Remy rebuilt starter, but now have a momentary metallic screech or squeal as the starter engages. The starter then spins normally, and the engine fires right up. I didn't test the starter before I bolted everything back together. Is it possible that something in the solenoid had dried out and makes the noise or possibly a bearing in the starter was bad and not replaced by the rebuilder. I feel like I need to replace this starter even though the car has been starting OK for the past several weeks. Can I engage the starter if I bolt a new one in by sending 12 V to the post where the purple wire attaches and ground the starter motor? I don't want to use the key and pressurize the fuel system.
Thanks for an thoughts or advice on solving this problem.

Chuck
Chuck Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019   #2
secondchance

Default Re: Noisy rebuilt starter

If the intent is not to pressurize the fuel system removing fuel pump fuses (I believe one each for primary and secondary) will achieve the same.
As for the screeching sound, could it be solenoid is not pushing the pinion far enough resulting in slipping against teeth on the flywheel?
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019   #3
Ccmano

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondchance View Post
If the intent is not to pressurize the fuel system removing fuel pump fuses (I believe one each for primary and secondary) will achieve the same.
As for the screeching sound, could it be solenoid is not pushing the pinion far enough resulting in slipping against teeth on the flywheel?
Agreed, The screech is more likely the starter teeth not meshing with the ring gear. I would take it out and inspect it before damage is done to the ring gear.

As for fueling simply give it full throttle while cranking, no fuel will be delivered. That was built into the system to clear a flooded engine.
H
90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
08 C6 Z51 Crystal Red Metallic Sold Vararam Intake, Tune, Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
90'ZR-1 #1723 Black/Gray Sold but not forgotten
91' Z51 L98 White Vert. My First, you always remember your first. Sold.
Ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019   #4
Chuck Banks

Thanks for the responses to my post. I'll pull the starter to see if I can see what is going on. I'll probably look for an NOS starter. Very disappointed that what was supposed to be a quality rebuilt starter will end up taking me probably a full day to replace. I wish I hadn't sent off the original core. Could probably have cleaned up the solenoid contacts as some others have done and be good for a couple more years.
Chuck
Old 01-15-2019   #5
Ccmano

If you want to be absolutely certain you have the correct rebuilt starter. Jerry’s Gaskets has what you need. Not the cheapest but always correct.
http://www.jerrysgaskets.com/starter...lt-90-95-10b1/
H
90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
08 C6 Z51 Crystal Red Metallic Sold Vararam Intake, Tune, Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
90'ZR-1 #1723 Black/Gray Sold but not forgotten
91' Z51 L98 White Vert. My First, you always remember your first. Sold.
Ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019   #6
Chuck Banks

Pulled the starter and found that the leading edge of the starter gear was starting to show metal being worn away. Call Remy tech support and was told it sounded like the solenoid was not going forward with enough force to engage the ring gear before the starter motor started to turn. He said they don't test them for that function, just spin them. He said to return it to the parts store, and try the next one before putting the top back on the engine. This starter was rebuilt by Remy, and that seems to be what Jerry's Gaskets recommends, so will probably look for a NOS one.
Chuck
Old 01-15-2019   #7
secondchance

I think this is what you are looking for.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Delco-Remy-...0AAMXQQQhRfi97
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019   #8
Chuck Banks

Looks like what I need. Order placed.
Old 01-16-2019   #9
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

I'm coming late to the party, but this might be the place to pass on an issue I discovered regarding the length of the plunger pin that forces the starter pinion gear onto the ring gear:

I bought a Denso starter rebuild kit, complete with an new armature (as part of the copper ring assembly, etc.)

Comparing the length of the pin that forces the little starter gear to engage the ring gear, the new one was shorter than the OE pin. The result would have been the starter pinion gear would have just barely have made contact with the ring gear, and something like what you are experiencing is what I could see happening if I hadn't reverted back to the OE armature!

You didn't have the problem before the starter was rebuilt, so I'd find it a bit too coincidental to not be related to the rebuild... Just sayin.

The only other thing that comes to mind is if there was a misalignment issue of the starter/ring gear setup????

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019   #10
Chuck Banks

Paul, I think your experience with the pin that pushes the pinion gear forward to engage the ring gear being too short is exactly what is going on in my situation. The wear marks on my pinion gear would indicate that it is just barely in contact with the ring gear. Unfortunately I've already returned the original starter so am unable to verify this possibility. This rebuilt starter came from Remy, and the tech I spoke with looked for any other returns for this problem and said there were none.
I replaced my original starter because of several no crank when hot episodes. Other than that it had been working just fine.
I definitely want to test the next starter I install when bolted in place, but before I reinstall the coil packs. What would be your suggestion as to how to do this. The fuel lines to the rail are disconnected so don't want to pressurize the system.
Thanks, Chuck