90 #966-150K miles-sold
92 #234-sold
1987 Callaway TT #17
1991 ZR-1 #1359
LGAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016   #102
32valvesftw

Default Re: Prices and Valuation

Sally Fields in a wedding dress, come on man that adds value, it has to!
32valvesftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016   #103
SAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z51JEFF View Post
There's more of these low mile cars out there than anybody thinks. There is a pair of red 90s that seem to pop up once a year. One has under 100 miles and the other a touch under 300 miles, both priced about $40,000 and there's a black 90 floating around that has under 50 miles that is priced under $40,000. If I had to replace my 91 I'd look for a no mile 91 and if it were the right colors I'd probably pay over $35,000. Oh,and I'd drive the piss outta that one too��
Would you happen to know who has the black 50 mile 90ZR1 for under 40K? Would have an interest if it has a black or red interior.

Last edited by SAB; 11-30-2016 at 09:34 AM.
SAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016   #104
Z51JEFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB View Post
Would you happen to know who has the black 50 mile 90ZR1 for under 40K? Would have an interest if it has a black or red interior.
Last time I saw it it was at one of the car mills but haven't seen it for awhile and I do think it had red interior because the carpet was dirty. I do know the car was beat for what it was.

Last edited by Z51JEFF; 11-30-2016 at 10:45 AM.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016   #105
SAB

OK, thanks for the info. I would only consider a pristine sub 100 mile car.
SAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016   #106
rush91

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGAFF View Post
Yet 185hp trans ams are going through the roof, lol
Now that one makes me scratch my head...Makes me wish I had kept my 1979 Z28, had only 35,000 original miles when I traded it in for a 1989 Cougar. What was I thinking lol?????
rush91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016   #107
BigJohn

In the early 70's my GTX beat every TA, Formula and GTO that I raced!
I still have my GTX.
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016   #108
spork2367

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
I was told many years ago that automobiles are transportation or hobby; definitely not an investment!
30 years ago that was a lot more true than today. There are cars that are investments. If you went and bought a Delahaye, that is about as safe as an stock market investment. If your Delahaye tanks, you better be stocking up ammo.

That being said, most cars and certainly ZR1s as financial tools are more akin to gambling. Could win big, could lose big, would be happy to break even.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush91 View Post
How can we be the market? When there are at least 10 ZR-1's sitting in dealers showrooms, with LOW LOW miles, and they are at the top pricing tier? That sets the market, that sets where all the other prices fall. I know better to ask $40,000, for a 1991 w/ 40,000 miles....but I could price it at that. And it would never sell....Those top tier, never driven more than 500 miles, they set the market.
I think we're talking about two different uses of the word "market." I'm talking about the people who are buying and selling these, the "marketplace." You're talking about the market as in price.

The market price isn't what they are listed for, it's what the market can support. The unsold cars don't set the market. If every single person selling a ZR1 decided tomorrow to sell them for 100k, that wouldn't change the market price. No one would buy them. The cars that sell set the market. A 500 mile car doesn't set the market for 50,000 mile cars. That may happen in a market where there is extremely limited selection, but there is no need to extrapolate data when we have cars selling across the mileage range.

Keep in mind, statistically if there are 10 low mileage ZR1s for sale at dealerships (and I think that number is closer to 20), and that represents 10% of the low mileage cars for sale, there are 90 more for sale other places. That is a lot. And those are just the ones for sale. I think that it is extremely likely that there are 1000 sub 10k mile cars out there. This was one of the first domestic cars that people attempted to buy as an investment. Percentage wise, based on production number, there are probably more low mileage ZR1s (sub 10k) than any other 25 year old or older performance or muscle car import or domestic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32valvesftw View Post
The reason I bought the ZR-1 is that it is an oddball and the reason the prices APPEAR to be low for the same reason. I say appear cause late 80's early 90's cars especially American cars are not yet big collectables. A good comparison might be the Grand Nationals yes they retain more of their original value but their prices have been in the same range for many years. IROC Z's are still pretty cheap, Fox Body Saleen's are similar.
Except that the Grand National would be like the base Corvette and the ZR1 would be the Grand National X. Priced a GNX lately?

Fox body Saleens are a steal right now. I'm not a mustang guy, but I saw one sell for like 13k. I'd drive the hell out of one for 13k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGAFF View Post
Yet 185hp trans ams are going through the roof, lol
They dropped back down as quick as they went up. The guy who paid 80 something and the guy who paid 6 figures at the one Barrett Jackson have to feel pretty stupid. They'll never get that money back.
spork2367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016   #109
Vette73

185 HP Trans Ams.....That brings back memories...I'm 53 now and when I turned 18 I bought a 79 yellow Trans Am....29,000 miles, tan interior, T-tops ,Pontiac mags and a big red bird on the hood...Paid 5,200 dollars for it.....Car was in really nice shape...

Sold it the following year for 5,800 dollars.....Wonder what it would be worth today.......???? You have to admit even though styling was disco era they were probably the nicest looking Trans ams made....

Go price a 77-78 with a Pontiac motor , there asking price is crazy.....Seen many nice examples of 79s going for mid twenties at Barrett Jackson..

Very very low mileage examples bring close to 100K I believe...Think I saw a 79 anniversary with extremely low miles go for close to 100K at Barret Jackson ...
Vette73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016   #110
KILLSHOTS

There is far more supply of ZR-1s than there is demand for ZR-1s. It's really just that simple.
KILLSHOTS is offline   Reply With Quote