ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 04-14-2017   #11
KFoster

Default NO START on 2 ZR-1's

I had two problems on mine. One was vats. Got a bypass to fix, but now I think my clutch switch is going out. That will keep it from starting. I also had one of the fuel hoses blow off in the tank. Those plastic clamps are no good. Especially over time. I replaced with metal hose clamps to fix it. Took about 30 mins.

I have to say my ZR-1 is more reliable than my Porsche's. Not as much as my Mustang. It and the Pantera will hold a charge for years. I had a switch in the door go out that drained mine overnight. Charge has been holding since I replaced the blower motor controller.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry

Passed on: 1984 930S (gray market), 1988 Mustang Coupe Trooper car(drag)

Last edited by KFoster; 04-14-2017 at 04:53 PM.
KFoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017   #12
karlaw

Default Re: NO START on 2 ZR-1's

I will be pulling out fuel pumps and checking clamps. I think I may wait for that jumper cable fuel pump cable and see what that does.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
Old 03-17-2024   #13
ZBrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
I had a similar problem with mine. Got it home and went to start it, and it was dead, no starter solenoid click, no nothing. Pulled out the GM service manuals and went through it. I found that someone had put in a 'security alarm system' at some stage. The alarm system had a relay that disconnected the start relay. That relay was poked. So I just bypassed it and never had a problem again. You do need a full set of service manuals though to work through.

Bummer about the ex.

But just changing the subject - I'll take the 930. Thanks
Bruce, I'm currently stranded 2k miles from home in a '90 ZR-1 with a no crank situation. Any ideas on what to look for in terms of a former, aftermarket alarm? Someone installed a small red light and switch in the dash on mine in a location where I cannot reach behind it to trace wires. I can access under the driver's dash and the passenger kick panel.
ZBrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024   #14
Bruce

You'll have to first have a look and see what is not 'factory' looking wiring. You may see splices in some of the wires. You may see a factory orange wire (for example) that has a connector then goes into another color wire. Thats probably an indication that, that wire has been cut into. You may see its 'other end' of the same color, with a similar connection, and thats probably where the starter wire was cut and connected to either a kill switch or some sort of starter disabling device. When I did my car, the starter wouldnt even turn. I pulled the starter and cleaned everything out of it, like grease etc. Put new bearings in and lubed nothing else. Its been starting perfect now for years. The lube seems to gather dust etc and turn it into a paste that sticks the solenoid and bendix gear. Its a bit of a circus to get to all the parts but once its done it works fine.
Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote