ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 05-23-2013   #11
boostedmaxPSI

Default Re: ZR-1 racing in Germany

Big time diet. In the video you will notice even the button to the glove box is removed. Mmust be non essential for racing
1992 Callaway SuperNatural 435 Aerobody (sold)

For Sale:
boostedmaxPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013   #12
USAFPILOT

those wheels are killer
1994 #293 ZR-1 Stainless Works Long Tube Headers, B&B catback w/ X-Pipe, 18" Shelby Series One Wheels, SLP CAI.
USAFPILOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013   #13
boostedmaxPSI

I think those are OZ Futura wheels. I agree with yo, very good looking wheels.
1992 Callaway SuperNatural 435 Aerobody (sold)

For Sale:
boostedmaxPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013   #14
RyanChappel

Default I could just make out .....

the sound of my wife's voice, shrill, loud, reminding me that she was the mother of my children, and that I PROMISED to drive the speed limit if she consented to ride in my Z again.....LOL!

What a great video...I was literally laughing out loud....what fun!!
RyanChappel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013   #15
mgg

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancePearson View Post
I wish we'd had a feed for the tach and the speedo to see what he was actually doing. If it was a Calloway then wasn't it around 500 hp? The wing on the back....I wonder how or if that helped hold the car in corners and if so, how much? he didn't have trouble reeling anybody in on either track and that sound is so familiar to me when mine is wound up or winding up. Great footage. There is another film of someone with their Z driving the Neurburgring which is one demanding and narrow track and he says he is going slowly until he gets fed up following someone and passes them as well. Our cars are way more capable than many people ever imagined. Just ask the Audi R8 race prepped car that tackled me thinking I was an ordinary C4 on 288 coming home from Pa! He had a car that cost $134,000 and races regularly at VIR and it was a mistake for him to try me on, one that was obvious to him very quickly.
Lance, I believe I can answer the question you have regarding the rear wing. Wings are invaluable today. However without a front splitter and undertray the car would push horribly. To give you an idea of just how much downforce can be generated by a rear wing, I will reference the chart I have for the one on my race car. It is a 72" 14" chord wing. At 8 degrees of attack it will generate over 500lbs of downforce on the rear of the car at about 150mph. When braking after a long straight into a tight corner this downforce really settles the car and allows great control under extreme braking. Obviously with this it allows your rear tires to generate a much higher braking force than without. The kiey is that compared to a rear spoiler, the drag of a wing is minimal, even at 8 degrees. The disadvantage of aero grip is that when you lose it you are in BIG trouble and the ability to correct and save the car is very difficult. Good mechanical grip is great and when you couple it with aero, look out, it can make you think you are invincible. Thats when the problems start.
mgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013   #16
LancePearson

That's a lot of negative pressure from the wing. I knew it added the pressure but was not sure how much. Very significant amount. From my sailing days the way the wind works on things is geometrically. Wind speed going from 10 mph on a sail to 20 mph is not doubling the forces but quadrupling the forces...10 x 10 equals 100 versus 20 x 20 equals 400 so that comes into play especially at speed in a race car. Thanks for the clear explanation. Holds well until traction gives up then disaster...the driver still has to know the limits then to stay this side of disaster.

I was also curious to see as he went around the two courses the rpms he was running and the mph's but I didn't see that he tapped his port and logged it to match it to the race footage.

Thanks for sharing.
[COLOR=red][I]'91 ZR-1 #00682[/I][/COLOR]
Net Registry #1461
LancePearson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013   #17
Schrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fully Vetted View Post
Why was the CHMSL removed? Surely it wouldn't effect aerodynamics that much.
At speed, there's a POWERFUL vacuum behind that light. Turbulence, as opposed to laminar flow, would HAVE TO interfere with the wing hardware, again, AT SPEED...
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013   #18
Mystic ZR-1

Smile Re: ZR-1 racing in Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFPILOT View Post
doesn't waste any time knocking of porche after porch, and not crap porches either.
I've got 2 porches, one on the front and one on the rear of my house!!!!
Mystic ZR-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013   #19
LancePearson

I'm no expert but the modern cars that are designed as supercars for racing not only have exterior body wind tunnel considerations but the entire area under the car is sculpted to move air to different places and purposes and some not only have the splitter up front, etc. a wing on the back but on the back under the bumper area is another fixture channeling and directing the air flow. The new C7 and I think the Ferrari F12 have coolers in the rear quarter panels and air flows into them in a directed way as well. That is now more than I actually know about the whole subject.
[COLOR=red][I]'91 ZR-1 #00682[/I][/COLOR]
Net Registry #1461
LancePearson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013   #20
Fully Vetted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrade View Post
At speed, there's a POWERFUL vacuum behind that light. Turbulence, as opposed to laminar flow, would HAVE TO interfere with the wing hardware, again, AT SPEED...
Good point. I didn't think about how it might change the effectiveness of the wing.

1994 AB/Grey #141

430 RWHP/392 RWTQ

FBI Lyposuction / Secondaries relieved of duty / SW Long Tube Headers / Corsa Exhaust / FIC SS Injectors / MSD Coils / Lightweight Pulleys / Corey tuned
B & M Shifter / Aluminum Flywheel / Samco Hoses / Shelby Series One's / C4 No Flex Frame Stiffener

BBC - Bling By Carter:
Custom ZR-1 Center Caps / Custom Plenum Plate / Air Box Knobs / TB Cover / Oil Filter Cover
Fully Vetted is offline   Reply With Quote