ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 08-29-2015   #31
WVZR-1

Default Re: Windshield

This Phoenix based glass shop summarizes the windshield choices and branding pretty well. If you research the brands that they mention you will have covered "most" of the quality replacement product out there.

Some shops have a contractual purchasing agreement and they install "what's shipped" - it's certainly suggested to shop this effort first.

http://www.bluechipglass.com/Not-all...ted-Equal.html

I have absolutely no knowledge regarding this facility but they explain it in a very short and direct fashion. I don't believe they leave anything unanswered regarding "branding". I've driven cars with lesser product and seen the issues, which is generally most noticed in night time driving, sometimes in only night time driving and an "onsite" replacement for my last truck windshield when quizzed as to brand they told me straight out "what's shipped", I declined and then was offered choices rather than me calling my insurance company and requesting a different vendor.

Pilkington has now I believe product that's not domestic production but it's said to be of no lesser quality.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 08-29-2015 at 11:32 AM.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015   #32
5ABI VT

Probably best for another thread but anyone know about or use a polycarbonate windshield ? Wondering how much weight savings there would be
5ABI VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015   #33
John Boothby

Hi Craig. As I recall, all the places around here that I checked, were made outside the U.S. The one I got from Safelite was made in China, but appears good quality, has all the DOT approved markings and looks great on the car! Vision is great also as is the tint.
I took it on a trip in July in the desert heat with no problems.

John
1990 #148 Red/Saddle
Haibeck AYBKG5 Chip/RC Engineering/Flowmasters/K&N/Samco/Fuzzy Dice
:cheers:
John Boothby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015   #34
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR-1 View Post
This Phoenix based glass shop summarizes the windshield choices and branding pretty well. If you research the brands that they mention you will have covered "most" of the quality replacement product out there.

Some shops have a contractual purchasing agreement and they install "what's shipped" - it's certainly suggested to shop this effort first.

http://www.bluechipglass.com/Not-all...ted-Equal.html

I have absolutely no knowledge regarding this facility but they explain it in a very short and direct fashion. I don't believe they leave anything unanswered regarding "branding". I've driven cars with lesser product and seen the issues, which is generally most noticed in night time driving, sometimes in only night time driving and an "onsite" replacement for my last truck windshield when quizzed as to brand they told me straight out "what's shipped", I declined and then was offered choices rather than me calling my insurance company and requesting a different vendor.

Pilkington has now I believe product that's not domestic production but it's said to be of no lesser quality.
Thanks. Good info and I wish there was a shop like this in the local area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ABI VT View Post
Probably best for another thread but anyone know about or use a polycarbonate windshield ? Wondering how much weight savings there would be
Mike, I came across a website last night when poking around for info and saw a company that sells polycarbonate for our cars. It sounds like for race cars only and they had different thickness, but it mentioned trim to fit. I guess not safety glass so not sure it can be ran on the street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Boothby View Post
Hi Craig. As I recall, all the places around here that I checked, were made outside the U.S. The one I got from Safelite was made in China, but appears good quality, has all the DOT approved markings and looks great on the car! Vision is great also as is the tint.
I took it on a trip in July in the desert heat with no problems.

John
Thanks John. I suppose the quality control is there and outsourcing seems difficult to get away from these days. How can the US compete? I try to buy American made if possible so was asking and I guess no choice. It appears Pilkington's parent company is even owned by Nippon Sheet Glass from Japan.
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015   #35
WVZR-1

The windshield has applications for cars that are 20+ years old minimum and where do you think the sourcing is ultimately going to end up. It's very simple for the manufacturers, look at previous 2 years sales and base production (quality and quantity) based on that. I seriously doubt anyone's "first line" production is doing the windshields.

Is there quality "classic glass" out there? Quite likely BUT who's willing to pay the price? The guy looking for a glass that the vendor will "date code" appropriately maybe but for just the everyday driver guy? Likely not.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015   #36
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
Did you provide your own windshield or buy a windshield from Safelite?
What rubber did you purchase and what was the source?
What is the subframe OE......is this the molding John mentions that he reused?

Does Marc have Safelite install windshields he obtains from other sources?
Sorry it took so long to respond, Cliff.

Windshield provided by Safelite - a non-ZR-1

I bought the rubber from Corvette Rubber, per Robert DeMarco's suggestion.

Yes, the metal strips/moldings.

Safelite was ready to supply their own rubber and molding strips. The rubber was very hard, and the molding strips didn't fit right at all; the reason I cleaned the old ones up and reinstalled them.

Its been over a year now since it was installed. And, FWIW, I have since been through one of the worst rain downpours I've ever driven through - plus several other heavy rains too: No runs! No drips! No errors! (read: distortion) (as they say).

I like it...a lot!. No, it isn't a ZR-1 glass. But, the tinting is very nice and it has that 3 or maybe 4-inch darker tint region across the top edge to block sun. After looking through the delamination for 4 years (talk about distortion?), my undistorted view is a welcome sight!

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015   #37
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
Sorry it took so long to respond, Cliff.

Windshield provided by Safelite - a non-ZR-1

I bought the rubber from Corvette Rubber, per Robert DeMarco's suggestion.

Yes, the metal strips/moldings.

Safelite was ready to supply their own rubber and molding strips. The rubber was very hard, and the molding strips didn't fit right at all; the reason I cleaned the old ones up and reinstalled them.

Its been over a year now since it was installed. And, FWIW, I have since been through one of the worst rain downpours I've ever driven through - plus several other heavy rains too: No runs! No drips! No errors! (read: distortion) (as they say).

I like it...a lot!. No, it isn't a ZR-1 glass. But, the tinting is very nice and it has that 3 or maybe 4-inch darker tint region across the top edge to block sun. After looking through the delamination for 4 years (talk about distortion?), my undistorted view is a welcome sight!
Too bad we couldn't get Chevrolet or the General to replace these for us a safety hazard. My memory is foggy from over 10 years ago, but I remember a bunch of folks trying to write letters and calling Chevrolet to file complaints of this defect that should have been taken care of by Chevrolet. Not enough of us did or had issues to warrant it I guess. Some kind of class action suit would have been good.

Old 08-30-2015   #38
Corvettes White

Class action is not the correct legal term here.

It would have been a GLASS action.
Corvettes White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015   #39
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvettes White View Post
Class action is not the correct legal term here.

It would have been a GLASS action.
Yes! Let's do a Glass Action Lawsuit....sounds good to me.

Old 09-12-2015   #40
HAWAIIZR-1

Well, after calling around 7 shops in the local area and looking at Yelp reviews, etc. I settled on checking out 2 in person. It was amazing to see how many have no clue about our windshield or the molding, etc. Price range was from $345 to $482 and brands were PPG, PGW, or XWG. One guy is very detailed and did research and called all over the country trying to find the best quality replacement. He said he found the actual part number available across the US and was going to have an in person inspection done by a partner company...so we'll see. I told him I doubt if it is the actual ZR-1 solar windshield and if so it might also be delaminated. In the end, I chickened out. I was supposed to take the car to show them the trim, get a feel for the shop/technician in person, etc. this AM. So I move my Lightning out of the way and uncover the Z. Then it dawned on me that this could turn into a nightmare looking at how pristine this car is. My delamination is not so bad (not like my 90) and just not worth the risk. I guess I am willing to keep the car original and look at a little delamination for awhile. Now if I get a stone or something while touring then so be it and meant to be. Thanks for all the info and considerations posted here for the future.