ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 06-20-2015   #1
John Boothby

Default Windshield

The delam has reached a point on my windshield that I want to change it. I know I will not get a NOS or replica, so I am looking at a standard C4 windshield. Safelite will install a new windshield with molding for around $350. I hav'nt priced one through the chevy dealer as yet. Anyone out there have any suggestions?

Thanks

John
1990 #148 Red/Saddle
Haibeck AYBKG5 Chip/RC Engineering/Flowmasters/K&N/Samco/Fuzzy Dice
:cheers:
John Boothby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015   #2
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri
Default Re: Windshield

Marc uses Safelite, and I followed his recommendation. But, I purchased my own rubber, and I ended up re-using the subframe OE; the ones they had provided were not correct (for some reason).

I went to their shop as they had a guy there familiar with the C4 windshield replacement. Took about an hour or so. and I'm very happy with the glass.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015   #3
John Boothby

Safelite pay myself quick quote was $314.95. Includes all moldings and install in-store.

Paul, what was your source for the molding?

Thanks

John
1990 #148 Red/Saddle
Old 06-20-2015   #4
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Boothby View Post
Safelite pay myself quick quote was $314.95. Includes all moldings and install in-store.

Paul, what was your source for the molding?

Thanks

John
I got it at Corvette Rubber. However, I'd suggest, instead you check with someone that has used .Wilcox as CR is slow to respond (customer service was horrible). Marc might have a good idea too.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry

Last edited by Paul Workman; 06-20-2015 at 12:50 PM.
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015   #5
WVZR-1

I would do local calls looking for "experienced installer" speak to the installer and make a decision on the install/vendor based on that conversation. The "branding" of the glass I would think is second to the experience of the installer.

The mention of Safelite satisfaction doesn't speak for what you might experience in your own area.

I believe when you use the "quick quote" it's likely an assumed install with just a generic molding used in most applications.

I'd just price using maybe the NAGS DW1075GBN or DW1112GBN and seeing what's offered. LOF/PPG or what in branding. I believe that Safelite uses glass done only to their minimum specs and I wouldn't be surprised if it was all "offshore" sourced. That doesn't mean that LOF/PPG or whatever isn't but I believe it worth asking. The DW1075GBN is the most frequently used and the other was a '91 - '96 NAGS
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015   #6
John Boothby

Thanks for the info.

I have had Safelite install windshields in several cars and my Grand Cherokee to my satisfaction. I agree that the quick quote is probably lowball.

One thing I am concerned about is the tinting. Is there a windshield that will provide heat protection similar to the original.
1990 #148 Red/Saddle
Old 06-20-2015   #7
WVZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Boothby View Post
Thanks for the info.

I have had Safelite install windshields in several cars and my Grand Cherokee to my satisfaction. I agree that the quick quote is probably lowball.

One thing I am concerned about is the tinting. Is there a windshield that will provide heat protection similar to the original.
This ain't your Cherokee or the other cars, this is a C4 Corvette and the "installer" makes or breaks the deal. I imagine double the quoted price minimum to correct the damage an inexperienced installer could inflict.

Most all windshields presently are "shaded" and noted in the windshield "bug" and that's another reason to be concerned about the source of the glass. You can sit off-shore glass side by side to the known branded product and see the differences.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015   #8
John Boothby

So, has anyone from here had a bad install from Safelite? I understand issues regarding a bad install, but I havn't heard any negative remarks about Safelite either. I imagine they stand behind their work.

Has anyone heard of "Technaglass" or "Superior"?
1990 #148 Red/Saddle

Last edited by John Boothby; 06-20-2015 at 06:00 PM.
Old 06-20-2015   #9
Z51JEFF

I have read about distortion issues with Safelite glass but can't speak from experience. Years ago I did all the removal,cleanup on the WS frame and had I think Safelite come out and install meaning lay down the urethane sealer and drop the WS in the frame and I paid $125. I requested a LOF part and got a Pilkington which I was told by Safelite was a LOF part. The original trim can be reused but it takes care in getting it off the car. One benefit of using the original trim is the holes for the trim are drilled in the WS frame at the time the trim is attached meaning different trim holes won't line up. Anybody want to venture a guess as to what the 3 pieces of trim cost when you could still buy it? Try between $700-900 for the set. I've done this if anybody needs some tips.

Last edited by Z51JEFF; 06-20-2015 at 09:22 PM.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015   #10
HIZNHRZ

Except for bolt-ons, my ZR-1 looks like a new car. It's hard to believe the difference new glass makes, even to a ZR-1 that was in like new condition to begin with. When my car was last at Marc's he had Safelite install a new windshield. It not only looks great but I notice no distortion in the glass or difference in the performance of AC cooling. I was and continue to be very pleased.
HIZNHRZ is offline   Reply With Quote