ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 08-08-2015   #1
XfireZ51

Default Point/Counterpoint: DOHC v OHV

As owners of the Hyphened ZR, a great part of our attraction involves the sensation emanating from the turbine like feel of the LT-5 motor. So I have started this thread to devote a space to the yin and yang of engine architecture.
My premise is that GM has done a marvelous job of optimizing the OHV architecture. BUT, I think we're seeing the end of the road for "the little engine that could". The LT-5 represented an alternative that GM abandoned 25 years ago bu that our small community continues to push forward and give a glimpse of what might have been. Just sayin!
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX

Last edited by XfireZ51; 08-08-2015 at 10:27 PM.
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015   #2
Kevin

Default Re: Point/Counterpoint: DOHC v OHV

Our cars a relic, sure we've done a great job of moving them forward but we're still dealing with something designed and built in the late 1980's. The ease of tuning and modding the lsx is something we can only dream of. The zr-1 had it's time of being king and sadly it's over, but that's to be expected. Time marches on, and that's the way it should be. There are two main things keeping from from jumping into a c6z06. OHC and the interior.
Old 08-09-2015   #3
mike100

I still value the simplicity and lower weight of the OHV engine, but i usually prefer to drive my lt5 or coyote mustang 5.0 over my LS3 car. I think it just has the extended torque delivery if you need a single simple answer of why dohc is best. I think the question really is going to be about all future engines having a turbo charger and electric assist to cope with emissions. The days of a factory 8000 rpm NA screamer may be over.

I'm over in Europe at the moment and had a chance to drive some 50 mpg cars w turbos. Just about everything will be turbo soon if i had to guess.

Last edited by mike100; 08-09-2015 at 06:01 AM.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015   #4
XfireZ51

Audi is introducing electric turbos which should be a game changer. Interesting Mike that you have the opportunity to get SOTP character from the two platforms. A 5300rpm torque peak with long gear pulls onto a highway makes even a simple drive around fun.
Old 08-09-2015   #5
RICKYRJ1

I cant contribute much on the tech side of this conversation, but on a emotional side I can tell you I love this engine relic or not. Mine has over 500hp, runs great, I get to run it to a high rev, sounds great, bullet proof construction and looks like a piece of art. Do I wish it was cost effective to make more power? of course! we all do. I enjoy also owning a piece of automotive history. I find that guys that know cars, not so much the Corvette guys, but the higher end players know and respect our ZR-1. I appreciate this groups constant effort to push the performance envelope.
RICKYRJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015   #6
edram454

Having sold my supercharged c5 ls motored car, I dont miss it at all. It made more power than my z will ever make but it was just another cookie cutter corvette at a car show. a dime a dozen. as for as the ls7 z06 is not bullet proof. I have seen a few of these cars throw rods and lose oil pressure in recent weeks. there is one sitting at SGC right now without oil pressure. It seems like its not such a surprise for those who know about them. The ls2 and ls3 are not impressive to me. Im not even impressed with the lt4 in the new z06. It is not a hard charger and if it wasnt for the state of the art suspension and aerodynamics and brakes and light weight, that car would have its butt kicked by other comparable hi end muscle cars like the dodges, fords, etc.. Owning a piece of history and feeling the hard charging acceleration of the LT5 is a joy to behold. It may not be the King but it still holds its own especially in the open road. The ZR-1 is not a drag car, road racer, it is a GT. A car that can do well in all types of racing but excels in high speed runs with endurance in mind.

ed ramos #3028

1990 #3028..siamese ported plen/hous/SGC/fidanza/DRM LTHeaders/DRM roll cage/camber rod/drilled slot rotors hawk track pads/grand sport calipers/full corsa exhaust/Hurst/NO cats/custom SGC chip/cbeamplate/315's on all 4/intake water plugged/smog removed..RC injectors/LED lights..SHOULD NOT HAVE PUT ALL THE MONEY IN IT.. SOLD.
edram454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015   #7
KILLSHOTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by edram454 View Post
Having sold my supercharged c5 ls motored car, I dont miss it at all. It made more power than my z will ever make but it was just another cookie cutter corvette at a car show. a dime a dozen. as for as the ls7 z06 is not bullet proof. I have seen a few of these cars throw rods and lose oil pressure in recent weeks. there is one sitting at SGC right now without oil pressure. It seems like its not such a surprise for those who know about them. The ls2 and ls3 are not impressive to me. Im not even impressed with the lt4 in the new z06. It is not a hard charger and if it wasnt for the state of the art suspension and aerodynamics and brakes and light weight, that car would have its butt kicked by other comparable hi end muscle cars like the dodges, fords, etc.. Owning a piece of history and feeling the hard charging acceleration of the LT5 is a joy to behold. It may not be the King but it still holds its own especially in the open road. The ZR-1 is not a drag car, road racer, it is a GT. A car that can do well in all types of racing but excels in high speed runs with endurance in mind.

ed ramos #3028
What? What is a "hard charger" and why is the Z06 not one? Which of "the dodges, fords, etc." would be kicking the Z06's butt, were it not for its suspension and aerodynamics? Can you cite any example of a "comparable hi end muscle car"? Are you speaking of the yet-to-be-released GT350 Mustang, or the 1/4-mile-only Hellcats? Could either of those truly be described as "comparable" to the Z06?

The LT5 is a brilliant engine on its own merits; diminishing the LT4 does not elevate it.
KILLSHOTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015   #8
edram454

Well, two weekends ago I went to the Homestead Nascar track that is 1 mile from my house and they were running all types of cars during a track day event. there were two brand new Z06's on the track too. It seemed like everything passed those cars up. I saw a fox body Mustang with a coyote engine consistently trash the z06's lap after lap. I saw BMWs, mercedes, vipers, etc.. an endless list of cars trashing the z06's lap after lap. A couple of fridays a month they have 1/8 mile nights at the tracks pit road. I saw a new z06 participating and saw a Dodge Challenger Hellcat kill it in the eight mile and another viper trash it too. A modded c6 killed it along with a modded c5 z06. The new z06 cant even top 200 miles per hour while a c6 zr1 can do 209 miles per hour.

If I had a top tier car like any of the ones I mentioned I would not back down to a new z06. Maybe in hard twisties or a tight road course that requires constant severe braking I would not test a z06 but at speed events I would. I am not downing the lt4 to elevate an lt5. it is no comparison 375hp to 650?? I would have liked chevrolet to have thrown the gauntlet and put something out there at least making 700 horse. The mustang had made the super snake 750hp for years and now the hellcats etc...

The hard charger is what a dohc hi performance v8 feels like...it just does not lay down after most cam in block v8's have reached there 6000rmp.. seems like the dohc cars just want to keep on going thus it gives the feeling of a hard charger or constantly accelerating.

I appreciate the handling, braking and down force aerodynamics the z06 bring to the table but am not impressed with its brute power and alot of other competitors arnt either.

ed ramos #3028

1990 #3028..siamese ported plen/hous/SGC/fidanza/DRM LTHeaders/DRM roll cage/camber rod/drilled slot rotors hawk track pads/grand sport calipers/full corsa exhaust/Hurst/NO cats/custom SGC chip/cbeamplate/315's on all 4/intake water plugged/smog removed..RC injectors/LED lights..SHOULD NOT HAVE PUT ALL THE MONEY IN IT.. SOLD.
edram454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015   #9
KILLSHOTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by edram454 View Post
Well, two weekends ago I went to the Homestead Nascar track that is 1 mile from my house and they were running all types of cars during a track day event. there were two brand new Z06's on the track too. It seemed like everything passed those cars up. I saw a fox body Mustang with a coyote engine consistently trash the z06's lap after lap. I saw BMWs, mercedes, vipers, etc.. an endless list of cars trashing the z06's lap after lap. A couple of fridays a month they have 1/8 mile nights at the tracks pit road. I saw a new z06 participating and saw a Dodge Challenger Hellcat kill it in the eight mile and another viper trash it too. A modded c6 killed it along with a modded c5 z06. The new z06 cant even top 200 miles per hour while a c6 zr1 can do 209 miles per hour.

If I had a top tier car like any of the ones I mentioned I would not back down to a new z06. Maybe in hard twisties or a tight road course that requires constant severe braking I would not test a z06 but at speed events I would. I am not downing the lt4 to elevate an lt5. it is no comparison 375hp to 650?? I would have liked chevrolet to have thrown the gauntlet and put something out there at least making 700 horse. The mustang had made the super snake 750hp for years and now the hellcats etc...

The hard charger is what a dohc hi performance v8 feels like...it just does not lay down after most cam in block v8's have reached there 6000rmp.. seems like the dohc cars just want to keep on going thus it gives the feeling of a hard charger or constantly accelerating.

I appreciate the handling, braking and down force aerodynamics the z06 bring to the table but am not impressed with its brute power and alot of other competitors arnt either.

ed ramos #3028
You haven't mentioned a single comparable vehicle...only anecdotal examples of highly modified track cars. ANYTHING can be modded. Too bad Chevy stopped at only 650 horsepower; they must be saddened to hear that if they'd just given the LT4 an additional 50 ponies, they could have met your lofty standards.

Perhaps you could name some other PRODUCTION vehicles that are capable of reaching 60 miles per hour from rest in less than 3 seconds, clearing the 1/4 mile in less than 11 seconds, AND completing a lap of the Nurburgring in less than 7 minutes.
KILLSHOTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015   #10
XfireZ51

Guys,

The idea of the thread was to offer viewpoints re: the engine architectures. Let not take things in a personal direction.
Also, I don't think there has been any indication that a Z06 has gone anywhere near sub 7min at the Ring.