ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > Corvette > Corvette Technical Questions

Old 10-12-2016   #1
JRZR

Default Wipers won't wipe

I have an unusual problem with my '90 Beast (0071). When the hood is closed the driver's side wiper gets caught on the lip of the hood and can't make it to the windshield. I've tried adjusting the hood till i'm Bright Red in the face. To get it to clear, i have to adjust both sides up till it will no longer latch.

I've bought two sets of aftermarket blades, broke both of them. Went to the local Chevrolet dealer and bought what they said were the correct blades. Same result. Does anyone have any idea what's going on and how i should approach correcting this problem? Any thoughts deeply appreciated.
JRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016   #2
RussMcB

Default Re: Wipers won't wipe

Can you post a picture, please? I think that might help.

I'm interested in this discussion. I think my wiper arms might need adjusting.
RussMcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016   #3
JRZR

Well, i can try. I've never posted a photo; not sure exactly how it's done. However, i'll get the car out into the sunlight and take some photos and try to post the most descriptive of the problem. I don't usually get it out if rain is forecast, so the problem is not crucial. Sometimes, however, i get caught not suspecting rain.
Old 11-13-2016   #4
lfalzarano

Wink Re: Wipers won't wipe

I just checked my #1476 and the height of the driver side wiper to the windshield is 1 1/8 inches. It fits under the two stops just below the window base. The wiper blades are 19 3/4" (driverside) and 19 1/2" (passenger side). I used the original blade holders, but only replaced the rubber blades. They did bang into each other, but I bought the shorter blade on the passenger side from Chevy dealer. No problems since. Attached is a picture to compare.

Hope this helps
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2487.jpg (125.3 KB, 18 views)
lfalzarano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016   #5
Mystic ZR-1

Try a clay bar on your windshield.
It reduces drag on your wipers which often
is why your wipers hit each other or chatter.
You'll be suprised at how much better your windshield looks too... Two different size blades should not be required, unless an arm is bent
or in the unlikely event the adjustment is off.
Mystic ZR-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016   #6
JRZR

Thanks for the response. I did succeed in getting it corrected. Apparently, i was buying the wrong blades every time. Once I got the Trico, problem was fixed. I appreciate all the help!
Old 11-14-2016   #7
lfalzarano

Remember you shouldn't be driving that beast in the rain, unless you have lots of tread life on your tires or they are Goodyear GS-D3's. I went below the 4/32 inch tread depth one time and spun out in front of 4 lanes of oncoming trailer truck highway traffic. I actually said, "Goodbye Corvette," and I might survive the impacts but it wouldn't. I was fortunate enough going backwards at 80 mph to put it in neutral and to spin it around 180 degrees. I drove the rest of the way home doing 45 Mph. I had quite a few drinks when I got home.
lfalzarano is offline   Reply With Quote