ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > Club Regional Areas > Mid-Atlantic Region

Old 06-12-2015   #11
Dynomite

Default Re: WMD - Saturday - 13 June 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by QB93Z View Post
Thanks Cliff. I have broken several exhaust flange bolts over the years. The good news is that it has always been the bolt that is easy to get to for drilling and tapping.

Regarding the measurements, what would you "adjust" if the dimensions were not what you expected?

When I reinstall a C-Beam, I have a rolling jack under the back of the oil pan. Raising the back of the engine changes the angle of the motor and transmission so the back end of the C-Beam can be exactly aligned to the differential.

Jim
I place a jack under the transmission and jack up or down (a little more up than the vertical spacer provided by ZF Doc suggests for the simple reason when you release the vertical pressure on the transmission you want the final position to be as ZF Doc suggests and as noted above. What I do is measure the shifter height and also make sure the transmission plug is NOT the lowest point on the underside of the body (Transmission plug 4.5 inch to ground and Oil Pan 4.25 inches to ground).

All the adjustments can be made with the differential C-Beam bolts loosened or not but I actually loosen the differential C-Beam last after setting the transmission C-Beam Plates and install the C-Beam Plate on differential LAST. The vertical movement at the differential usually has not changed from the Initial Factory Set Up.

I know it is not precise the measurements of the C-Beam within the Tunnel and same goes with the measurement of the shifter height above the shifter bezel.....and must say same goes with the lack of precision of the transmission height above ground given each ZR-1 has different tire wear, inflation, tires, suspension. But we can get close and a lot closer than one with a transmission that has dropped and the C-Beam holes worn oblong for a long period of time.

Adjusting the side to side I use a piece of wood to wedge and leverage the transmission side to side but if that is actually off you would have to loosen the engine mounting bolts to actually change that alignment where it would stay in position after leverage is released.

And my final check is to make sure the Transmission Drain Plug is NOT the lowest under the ZR-1 and NOT lower than the Oil Pan.

Last edited by Dynomite; 06-12-2015 at 12:28 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015   #12
93 Vette

Thank you Jim for hosting the maintenance day today. It was good seeing everyone and I had a great time.

Matt

1991 ZR-1 - Artic White/Red #1252
1991 ZR-1 - Dark Red Metallic/Saddle #1817
2018 Grand Sport Coupe - Admiral Blue/Red & Black
1988 Corvette Challenge Race Car - Red/Black #66 (Co-owner with Dad)

1993 LT1 Coupe - Arctic White/Black (SOLD 5/31/15)
93 Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015   #13
Arctic91

I'll second that, Matt. Thanks to Jim for creating a space for us to meet and wrench on these cars in the company of friends.

Cheers,
Scott

'95 Callaway SNAT 450 Aerobody Coupe - Black/Black
'92 Callaway SNAT 400 Convertible - Polo Green/Beige
'91 ZR-1 #1231 - Arctic White/Saddle (SOLD)
'90 ZR-1 #2547 - Turquoise Metallic/Black
'89 Callaway Twin Turbo Aerobody Coupe #027 - Black/Black
'85 Corvette 454 Coupe - White/Red
Arctic91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015   #14
nelson007

Great day. Learn something every time we do one of these.
Thanks Jim for installing my gas peddle.

Nelson

1993 #124 Ruby
1994 #??? Red/Black
1995 #061 Black/Red
2012 ZR1 Preproduction
nelson007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015   #15
QB93Z

Always a great time getting together with car guys and working on Corvettes. The day was a little warm but not too bad when the clouds gave us a break. Here is the group: (l to r) Dillion (Matt's son, a really nice young man learning early), Jim, Nelson, Bob, Doug, Charlie, Matt, Kevin. Scott is not in the picture

I am holding the gas pedal for Nelson's ZR1. Nelson said his car wasn't fast enough, so he bought an after-market gas pedal.

Looking down the alley, a view of some beautiful ZR-1's and a Grand Sport.

On Mountain Run 3, we met Doug, from Harrisburg, PA area. Doug drove with the group that Scott and I were in. We helped Doug with a brake issue on the Tail of the Dragon. Doug is a great guy so we invited him to come to our next WMD.

In the background, the wrenching team is reviewing the assembly procedures ... or the Pizza just arrived:

Some more of the cars. Matt's Dark Red and my Dark Purple:

Working on Nelson's ZR1 upgrade:

Last edited by QB93Z; 06-14-2015 at 08:53 AM.
QB93Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015   #16
QB93Z

Quasar Blue and Scott's Turq:

We tried vacuum bleeding Doug's rear brakes using my vacuum canister. I was not satisfied with the result. So we finished the job the old fashioned way: push the pedal, open the bleeder, close the bleeder, release the pedal, repeat as needed.

MY Black '90, Matt's Dark Red, and Charlie's Bright Red with new shocks and rear wheel bearings, ready for a 4-wheel alignment:

Thanks to everyone who helped. Thanks to Dillon for hanging out with us. And a special thank you to Matt and Kevin, the primary wrench team who got the rear wheel bearings off Charlie's car.

Jim
QB93Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015   #17
dredgeguy

Many, many thanks to my Wazoo brothers for another successful WMD, always a great time. With new rear wheel bearings and shocks and getting a 4 wheel alignment this week, will ride like a new car. Jim, Kevin and Matt thanks for doing all you do and for young Dillon, for cleaning up the Corsa's. Without Wazoo, it would never be the same!

1992 Bright Red/Black ZR1 #246
Dana 4:10 gears
Polished LT5 by Haibeck
Polished Fikse FM5's with Michelin Pilot Sport 2
Stainless Works headers and cats with Corsa
dredgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote