ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 09-06-2015   #31
dredgeguy

Default Re: 1991 1G1YZ23J7M5801146 Total Loss

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilant View Post
Sucks to lose a car that way. Glad he was happy with the reimbursement though. Although it would be nice if someone resurrected the car, the truth is for every car that goes down more parts become available for rest to survive. Not to mention saving it would cost a lot of money and have to be done for the love of it, not for profit.
I actually wanted to bid on it. Would of taken some parts for myself and parted out the rest until it was gone (I need other parts besides the ECM). Unfortunately MD does not allow public bidding. So, either a dealer or salvage yard is going to get the car. Hopefully a Corvette salvage yard takes it and makes the remaining parts for sale.
Anybody here have a dealer or salvage yard license in MD?
Another PM sent

1992 Bright Red/Black ZR1 #246
Dana 4:10 gears
Polished LT5 by Haibeck
Polished Fikse FM5's with Michelin Pilot Sport 2
Stainless Works headers and cats with Corsa
dredgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015   #32
tccrab

This brings up another really good question.
There used to be a list of totalled ZR-1's on the Registry web page.
I always though it was a good idea to keep a list of known totalled cars, so that we can keep track of those that were left.

Why was it dropped?
I can't imagine why it would be sensitive information.

'Crabs
'90ZR1 #792
Honorary Pirate

[B]If it ain't FUN, you're doing something terribly WRONG.
[/B]
tccrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015   #33
LGAFF

Reporting of total losses is actually a federal law. There are serious fines for not reporting total losses($1K per car...plus admin fines)....so its not a secret.

National Motor Vehicle Title Information System

http://www.vehiclehistory.gov/nmvtis_faq.html
90 #966-150K miles-sold
92 #234-sold
1987 Callaway TT #17
1991 ZR-1 #1359

Last edited by LGAFF; 09-06-2015 at 12:54 PM.
LGAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015   #34
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Well, Lee...mebby you can 'splain it to a dummy like me?

The whole concept of a vehicle being "TOTALED", is a little fuzzy to me. I've had a couple cars "totaled"; one in particular that concerned me was in very good condition other than being in a wreck that only ended up crushing the front & rear clip. Ran great, new tires, brakes fresh, fresh rebuilt engine and trans (Jeep Cherokee, actually)...totaled???

I got a check for that car, but couldn't find one in anywhere near the condition my wrecked Jeep was before the accident. I felt then and now like I'd been ripped off. What were my options beside buying it back from the salvage yard (which, BTW, wanted more for it wrecked than the check I got from the insurance company...WTF??...another story tho).

And, is there not a chance for some unsavory collusion between and insurance company and an auto salvage yard, e.g., totaling a car when repairs would fall well under the market value of the parts in a majority of cases?

I wouldn't have been the least surprised if my car was 'totaled' after busting up the nose and hood - i.e., how many wrecked ZR-1s does an adjuster have to base his estimates on? Is that even a factor?

Just curious, cuz I'm close to that situation again (my truck got hit as result of 2 others mixing it up on a highway intersection and me getting caught in the "collateral damage".)

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry

Last edited by Paul Workman; 09-08-2015 at 09:44 AM.
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015   #35
spork2367

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
Well, Lee...mebby you can 'splain it to a dummy like me?

The whole concept of a vehicle being "TOTALED", is a little fuzzy to me. I've had a couple cars "totaled"; one in particular that concerned me was in very good condition other than being in a wreck that only ended up crushing the front & rear clip. Ran great, new tires, brakes fresh, fresh rebuilt engine and trans (Jeep Cherokee, actually)...totaled???

I got a check for that car, but couldn't find one in anywhere near the condition my wrecked Jeep was before the accident. I felt then and now like I'd been ripped off. What were my options beside buying it back from the salvage yard (which, BTW, wanted more for it wrecked than the check I got from the insurance company...WTF??...another story tho).

And, is there not a chance for some unsavory collusion between and insurance company and an auto salvage yard, e.g., totaling a car when repairs would fall well under the market value of the parts in a majority of cases?

I wouldn't have been the least surprised if my car was 'totaled' after busting up the nose and hood - i.e., how many wrecked ZR-1s does an adjuster have to base his estimates on? Is that even a factor?

Just curious, cuz I'm close to that situation again (my truck got hit as result of 2 others mixing it up on a highway intersection and me getting caught in the "collateral damage".)
You're probably looking at 20,000 worth of repairs on that car. And that's assuming the damage to the engine is mostly wiring and cosmetic. By the time you add in the time the insurance company is going to spend sorting all that out, it's cheaper for them to write a check for 26,000.

List of what that car needs:

hood
headlight assemblies
inner fender
vacuum canister/pump/lines
radiator
oil cooler
radiator shroud
air filter housing
bumper cover
bumper inserts
fog lights
drivers side shock/actuator
engine harness
dash harness
injectors
throttle body
idler pully
dampener
water pump
alternator
AC compressor
all engine sensors
plug wires
injector housing and intake gaskets
heads should probably be pulled so head gaskets
all hoses
most of the vacuum stuff under the intake unless you wanted to delete
possibly a DIS
new computer
probably front wheel
suspension bushings
upper control arm
maybe drivers side door
maybe windshield
tires
full paint job
labor

And you almost always have the option to buy the car back from the insurance company instead of waiting until it goes to a salvage yard. It's never cost effective to buy it back from the salvage yard after the fact if it's your car. That car probably has a salvage value of 2000-3500.

The 1990 that I posted a picture of has no frame damage and runs and drives. Needs a front bumper cover, rear bumper cover and rear quarters. In the end, I could have bought one in decent condition cheaper. The only saving grace is that my dad does fiberglass work. Otherwise, it was just a nice parts car. Just parts and full repaint will be a break even venture if we went to sell it.

As far as your Jeep, the fact that it was a unibody was likely the deciding factor.

Last edited by spork2367; 09-08-2015 at 10:20 AM.
spork2367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015   #36
LGAFF

Total losses are determined by the following:

*Dictated by the state based upon a % of the ACV; writing an estimate based upon avg shop skills and tools access, with a labor rate used in the area.

*Economic total losses: Meaning that the estimate minus the approx salvage value exceed the value of the car.

*Structural: Damage is such that it is not safe to repair

If you disagree with the value, you can file a department of insurance complaint, use the arbitration clause in your contract, or file suit. Most values are based upon vehicles for sale in your area....and many of the large companies(CCC/Mitchelle) that do values use large dealer values to get the prices. Keep in mind most dealers go through a car with tires, brakes, etc prior to putting it on the lot. All methods are subject to DOI review

If there are not enough comparisons to use companies might use a book or dealer quotes
90 #966-150K miles-sold
92 #234-sold
1987 Callaway TT #17
1991 ZR-1 #1359

Last edited by LGAFF; 09-08-2015 at 11:29 AM.
Old 09-08-2015   #37
LGAFF

The estimated repair cost is $25,418

With a loss like this I would expect a supplement of $3-5K

Additionally there is the potential the interior is smoke damaged....

My understanding is the plenum melted so the engine hit 1200 degrees or more.....internals are probably messed up
90 #966-150K miles-sold
92 #234-sold
1987 Callaway TT #17
1991 ZR-1 #1359