ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 04-18-2022   #31
HAWAIIZR-1

Default Michelin Pilot Sport 4 All Season now available

These look and sound promising. I?m not crazy about the thread design and looks, but that?s not important in real world. I am on the fence since I don?t think I?ll really make use of the AS benefit. I?m still happy to see options for our cars and I guess they must be good if the C8 comes with them. I need to replace my old drag radials and this might be something to consider for sure. Good to see all the thoughts and excitement about these new tires.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022   #32
spork2367

Default Re: Michelin Pilot Sport 4 All Season now available

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnse View Post
Finally even with the mis-sized 335/35 width instead of the factory 315/35 sizes, how would the modern Michelin PS AS4 which were introduced in 2020 compare with old Michelin Pilot PS2 summer tires that were introduced in 2004? How much would 16 years difference make in performance?
I doubt it would vary much. The tread compound is a more critical factor. The PS2 ZP was the factory tire for the 2010 ZR1.
spork2367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022   #33
tnse

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWAIIZR-1 View Post
These look and sound promising. I?m not crazy about the thread design and looks, but that?s not important in real world. I am on the fence since I don?t think I?ll really make use of the AS benefit. I?m still happy to see options for our cars and I guess they must be good if the C8 comes with them. I need to replace my old drag radials and this might be something to consider for sure. Good to see all the thoughts and excitement about these new tires.

See this video at about the 9:17 mark for impressions of the PS AS4 on the C8:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2MxuknropY&t=559s

The video is complimentary of of PS AS4 with some performance impressions (Gs while cornering, 0-60, braking, etc.) and even comparing it to the Bridgestone RE71R (on a different car) and Michelin Pilot 4S (on track in LV in dry on the C8) which are both full summer tires. I'm hoping what becomes evident or proven out is "All Season" doesn't mean less capable in summer but rather it just means more capable in winter - addition instead of subtraction. But we won't really know until someone actually can attest to how they work on the C4 - granted no one should be under the impression that the C4 is going to match the C8 in performance, handling, or capability no matter which tire they put on there, ZR-1 or not.

Last edited by tnse; 04-18-2022 at 02:45 PM.
tnse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022   #34
tnse

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjszr1 View Post
I just ordered a set today Tire Rack, normally when there is a rebate it shows directly on the tires, and nothing there.... Later tonight I came in via the following link:

https://www.tirerack.com/content/tir...guna-Seca.html

and looks like tire rack will have a $70 rebate card for Michelin purchase 3/13-5/17.

** update 4/18 - contacted tire rack and looks like this was a Mid-Ohio promotion only, so I'm not sure why I was targeted with web page that had laguna seca my local CA track near by. If I can load up the rebate form I will but looks like only helpful to Ohio ZR-1 owners LOL
The information you provided should be helpful to the C4 community mjszr1. When are you expecting them to arrive and be installed? Let us know how they perform on your car and pictures are always great. Thanks.
Old 04-18-2022   #35
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnse View Post
See this video at about the 9:17 mark for impressions of the PS AS4 on the C8:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2MxuknropY&t=559s

The video is complimentary of of PS AS4 with some performance impressions (Gs while cornering, 0-60, braking, etc.) and even comparing it to the Bridgestone RE71R (on a different car) and Michelin Pilot 4S (on track in LV in dry on the C8) which are both full summer tires. I'm hoping what becomes evident or proven out is "All Season" doesn't mean less capable in summer but rather it just means more capable in winter - addition instead of subtraction. But we won't really know until someone actually can attest to how they work on the C4 - granted no one should be under the impression that the C4 is going to match the C8 in performance, handling, or capability no matter which tire they put on there, ZR-1 or not.
Thanks for sharing. They sound awesome for our car to meet most needs. The best of many worlds for sure and I'm looking forward to hearing more or just ordering a set myself.

Old 04-21-2022   #36
dredgeguy

For those who are interested, the Costco item numbers for the Pilot Sport AS4 are:

1441395 for the front 275/40ZR17 $205.99 each
1635830 for the rear 315/35R17 $312.99 each

The $150 discount for the purchase of 4 Michelin is going on now

1992 Bright Red/Black ZR1 #246
Dana 4:10 gears
Polished LT5 by Haibeck
Polished Fikse FM5's with Michelin Pilot Sport 2
Stainless Works headers and cats with Corsa
dredgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022   #37
zyal8r

FYI I was at my local Discount Tire yesterday getting a screw removed from a tire on my truck, and had them check on these Michelins. There is stock in Discount Tire's system, they could get them within a few days locally.

Mike
1995 ZR-1 #004 - Yellow/Black
1996 LT4 #3828 - Yellow/Beige/LT4/Z51 - 1 of 4
zyal8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022   #38
mjszr1

Just had the Pilot All Season 4's installed on new-to-me '90 ZR-1, here's what they look like if this is helpful to anyone at all. It's been 15 years since I had my Z51 C6, so I really don't have any basis of comparing them to anything folks have been running performance wise, but I was happy to see these become available for the stock wheels for all season 'grand touring'.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3358.jpg (82.5 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3360.jpg (134.5 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3353.jpg (79.9 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3357.jpg (95.4 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3354.jpg (158.8 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by mjszr1; 04-24-2022 at 01:13 PM.
mjszr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022   #39
tnse

Quote:
Just had them installed on new-to-me '90 ZR-1, here's what they look like if this is helpful to anyone at all. It's been 15 years since I had my Z51 C6, so I really don't have any basis of comparing them to anything folks have been running performance wise, but I was happy to see these become for 'grand touring'.
Congrats. You might be the first person to have this model on the C4 ZR-1! Great to see it documented. I can't quite tell but are the rear tires facing the same direction as the front? Any close up side views? By the way, what were the previous tires on the car?

Last edited by tnse; 04-23-2022 at 11:34 PM.
Old 04-24-2022   #40
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Just had them installed on new-to-me '90 ZR-1, here's what they look like if this is helpful to anyone at all. It's been 15 years since I had my Z51 C6, so I really don't have any basis of comparing them to anything folks have been running performance wise, but I was happy to see these become for 'grand touring'.

Thanks for sharing. I am still not crazy about the thread design and appearance, but I am sure it is a great tire as intended and more important than looks. They appear to be pretty narrow in comparison, but they are supposed to be all season tires. I can?t wait to hear how they performance, road noise, braking etc. are in these.