Z06scentair

Default Flex D/A Polisher

Anybody have one or used one?

http://www.autogeek.net/flex-orbital-polisher.html
Z06scentair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014   #2
mike100

Default Re: Flex D/A Polisher

Yes, I did recently get a Flex 3401 because it was taking too long to finish large panels with a non-forced rotation DA like a porter cable.

I would still recommend to start with the PC or the cheaper clone you can buy at harbor freight for $55-$60 on coupon. While you can move the pad across the paint quicker with the Flex, it will walk all over the place if you don't hold the pad flat. It is sometimes a two handed machine. The Porter cable is idiot proof and you can't hurt your paint with one of them. I still use the PC for tighter areas or for individual panels when I'm not doing an entire car.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014   #3
mike100

whatever you get, spend the extra coin and get the longer power cord.
Old 09-04-2014   #4
Z06scentair

I have the HF and PC already and they are comparable machines.

I'm looking at the flex because of the increased torque or so the say, as well as the trigger location.

Can you compare the flex to the PC in (1) power and torque output. (2) weight (3) noise and vibration.

Brad
Old 09-04-2014   #5
cvette98pacecar

I have the Cyclo, PC and the three inch GG. Since buying the Cyclo I use the PC strictly for interior.
As soon as one of the big chemical companies has a 20% off coupon for the entire store I will get the Rupes 21 and the 2" Pneumatic.
end of summer 2015 purchase is the Flex Rotary 6"

http://www.autogeek.net/rupes-lhr-21...-polisher.html

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR=blue]G[/COLOR][COLOR=red]rand[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]S[/COLOR][COLOR=red]port[/COLOR] Registry Lifetime Member
NCM Lifetime Member #2655
Pacecar Registry Member
[COLOR=red]ZOOM Charter Member - ZR-1 Owners of Michigan[/COLOR]
[COLOR=plum][I]ZR-1[/I] Registry member since 2012 [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]1990 LPE "368" Aerobody ZR-1, Last ZR-1 built by John[/COLOR]
1991 Callaway Aerobody ZR-1, DRM 500
1991 Shinoda Aerobody Spyder,
1998 Pace Car

Last edited by cvette98pacecar; 09-04-2014 at 09:57 AM.
cvette98pacecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014   #6
Meanmyz

I am currently borrowing a friend's Flex because my 3" Griot's Garage polisher took a dump on me.

I really like the Flex and it is probably the Cadillac of the bunch. Too bad they cost nearly $400.

Griot's has a lifetime warranty on their polishers and replaced mine without question. The 3" polisher in my mind is perfect for the smaller body panels of the Corvette. You can get different backing plates for the Flex, such as a 4" plate, which would be perfect. The negative is that you have now spent $$$ not only to buy the Flex and the standard 6" pads, but you have invested in a smaller backing plate and pads as well, which adds up to a whole lot of money invested.

My dilemma right now is whether to spend money for a Flex or also buy a 6" Griot's so I have the large and smaller one. I am only out a little over $100 bucks for the Griot's and they will replace it anytime.

The problem with the 3" GG is that they are not in my mind meant for extended use, such as detailing an entire car. They get hot quick and don't cool down. And they tend to eat their brushes like candy. At least my replacement had an extra set of brushes, something that Griot's doesn't sell individually.

I am hoping that the 6" GG isn't more of the same. Hmm, what to do?
Meanmyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014   #7
Z06scentair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanmyz View Post
I am currently borrowing a friend's Flex because my 3" Griot's Garage polisher took a dump on me.

I really like the Flex and it is probably the Cadillac of the bunch. Too bad they cost nearly $400.

Griot's has a lifetime warranty on their polishers and replaced mine without question. The 3" polisher in my mind is perfect for the smaller body panels of the Corvette. You can get different backing plates for the Flex, such as a 4" plate, which would be perfect. The negative is that you have now spent $$$ not only to buy the Flex and the standard 6" pads, but you have invested in a smaller backing plate and pads as well, which adds up to a whole lot of money invested.

My dilemma right now is whether to spend money for a Flex or also buy a 6" Griot's so I have the large and smaller one. I am only out a little over $100 bucks for the Griot's and they will replace it anytime.

The problem with the 3" GG is that they are not in my mind meant for extended use, such as detailing an entire car. They get hot quick and don't cool down. And they tend to eat their brushes like candy. At least my replacement had an extra set of brushes, something that Griot's doesn't sell individually.

I am hoping that the 6" GG isn't more of the same. Hmm, what to do?

How is the power of the flex and the noise and vibration compared to the GG?
Old 09-04-2014   #8
mike100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06scentair View Post
Can you compare the flex to the PC in (1) power and torque output. (2) weight (3) noise and vibration.

Brad
The Flex really gets a lot more work done and spins the heck out of a 6" pad. if you apply some pressure to get some cut, it doesn't slow down. The one thing that is different is that the rotational part is direct drive rather than free spinning so you don't get that crazy fast break-away rpm that the PC does when it is spinning in mid air. Sounds like it is moving slower, but the orbital throw is more and of course direct drive- you can just about move it across the panel at 2x the speed of a PC. You can also take bigger 'bites' by going with a slightly larger work area, depending on the product and how fast it dries out.

The trigger isn't that important. It does have a soft start so it doesn't just sling product at max rpm. The speed is also variable via the trigger. The max speed is set with a thumb knob similar to the PC. The best part is you can lock the trigger to full on with a lock button. This cuts back on grip fatigue as you will tire of holding the trigger after not too long.

If you already have your technique down, then for sure go for it, it is a little more difficult to use, but you can actually finish cars before dark with a little more prosumer grade of polisher. I delayed getting it for a year because it was so dang expensive and I was getting good results with the porter cable, but I finally gave in when there was a free shipping xmas super sale from a popular vendor in Florida. I did make one mistake and got a pad adapter kit I didn't really need- I found an individual adapter from here that fits 5.5" pads. So get that one part and the Flex with the 25ft cord and you will be set. I think it does the best with 6.5" pads though.

2) weighs not much more
3)quieter
Old 09-04-2014   #9
mike100

I still use the PC for spreading wax and I found out it polishes glass real well using rayon pads and cerium oxide polish made for that. I probably use the PC more often, but for compounding cars for paint correction- Flex
Old 09-04-2014   #10
Z06scentair

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike100 View Post
but for compounding cars for paint correction- Flex
That's exactly my reason for wanting one.