ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 01-21-2014   #41
8cam

Default Re: Daily driving a ZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
This is Jerry's Injector Housing Gasket (Injector Housing to Head).....Injector Housing Gasket From Jerry

To the Left there is a large hole above a hole...the bottom hole is coolant from the Head to the Injector Housing Coolant Manifolds.......if that breaks...coolant all over the floor

On top of Injector Housing directly above that lower gasket there is a small port about 1/4 inch diameter that feeds coolant through the Plenum (small L) and on to the TB coolant connection....(which all those ports can be blocked) with no bad effects. That would then allow you to remove the Plenum without having to drain/refill with any coolant.

Thank you for that! The more I think about it, the more I wonder how in the world coolant got all over the floor from a head gasket. This makes a lot of sense. Hopefully I'll have some more answers this week.
'90 ZR-1 #1322 Daily Driver, 64k and counting
Black/Gray
[IMG]http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb49/mlitherland/IMG_0326_zps3d50d8cb.jpg[/IMG]
8cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014   #42
cadillac531

Quote:
Originally Posted by edram454 View Post
yeah I thought about the coolant also. Lots of people do not know that the lt5 takes a specific coolant. almost everywhere the stores are selling tons of dexcool and yellow coolants. during the life of the car who knows what was in the radiator?? the mystery continues.

ed ramos #3028
Specific coolant? I've only ever used green coolant.

Registry Founding Member #0235

1991 Corvette ZR-1 -- Stock, 94 ZR-1 exhaust system, muffler delete.

1956 Chevrolet Belair -- Pro Street, 531ci Cadillac, 8-71 Blower, 8pt roll bar, built TH-400, 9" rear, 1,100 HP -- Street Car.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8y4cwcvK0s

1968 Mustang "Pegasus" -- Zeeker Chassis, 584ci Dart Block, Brodix Big Brodies, 2-1150 Dominators, FTI 'Glide, 1168 hp, best ET & Trap(holding back) 8.57@159 -- 7.9X -- 1/4 mile car.

1970 Chevelle -- 468ci, TKO600, shaved and smoothed everything.
cadillac531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014   #43
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac531 View Post
that's what you should use
Old 01-21-2014   #44
Rex Ruby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
that's what you should use
GM spec 1825. NAPA has it.

'93 Ruby Coupe ZF6 - Muffler eliminators, Blink Blink kit and Polished ZR1 Wheels
* PA Plate: OBSSSN

'06 LeMans Blue C6 Coupe - Corsa exhaust
* PA Plate: OBSSSV

ZR1 Net Registry Founding Member #153
40th Anniversary Registry Member
NCM Family Membership #8116
Corvette Forum NE Events Coordinator
Delco Cruisers Board of Directors
SAVE THE WAVE!
Rex Ruby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014   #45
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cam View Post
Thank you for that! The more I think about it, the more I wonder how in the world coolant got all over the floor from a head gasket. This makes a lot of sense. Hopefully I'll have some more answers this week.
My guru suggested I ask you if your potential Head Gasket issue is pressurizing your coolant system in which case you might have excess coolant in the overflow under the passenger headlight. This would be one of the best indications of a blown Head Gasket. Another indication is oil in that Overflow Tank.

Also.....when you park it HOT the coolant system is pressurized and will seep coolant where ever your gasket has failed. Be it a coolant gasket or Head Gasket.

Last edited by Dynomite; 01-21-2014 at 09:48 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014   #46
8cam

Well the overflow is empty and I don't remember any signs of oil, but I can't check the car myself. I'll ask my brother about it - in fact he's probably checking in on this thread. I'm starting to get hopeful, the signs are pointing to that injector gasket instead of the head.
Black/Gray
[IMG]http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb49/mlitherland/IMG_0326_zps3d50d8cb.jpg[/IMG]
Old 01-21-2014   #47
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cam View Post
Well the overflow is empty and I don't remember any signs of oil, but I can't check the car myself. I'll ask my brother about it - in fact he's probably checking in on this thread. I'm starting to get hopeful, the signs are pointing to that injector gasket instead of the head.
So....it appears then you lost coolant from the engine and when it cooled down it sucked your overflow dry

Last edited by Dynomite; 01-21-2014 at 07:04 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014   #48
8cam

The daily driver is back! Only missed out on three months. I think he's ready to run.

On the way back I stopped by We Gone's place and let me tell you Steve and his family are first rate people, super-nice folks and he lives in paradise. What a beautiful place to be. I got to see "Old Blue" and hear that Haibeck monster run...WOW. I feel my bank account twitching already. Did I mention Steve is a really nice guy? He surprised me with a wonderful gift, and I couldn't wait to put it on the car. Thanks Steve! It's great to be daily driving a ZR-1 again!

Next step, big time cleanup. Wow my car is a mess.

Black/Gray
Old 03-08-2014   #49
edram454

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac531 View Post
Specific Coolant?? Really?

Three types of coolants,
LAT - inorganic acid technology.. traditionally green in color. Used primarily during the 1920-1990.

OAT - Organic acid technology..Corrosion inhibiting coolant usually orange, pink or dark green in color. Used in the 1990's.

HOAT - Coolant AND diverse additives that prevent corrosion in aluminum... usually orange or yellow. used in the 2000's.

There is a lot of diversity in cooling agents and not to mention all the different brands. Never having a ZR-1 I was almost ready to change my coolant to dexcool until I read about the head gasket failures etc.. so yes, specific coolant for the zr1. LAT.

ed ramos.
edram454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014   #50
Hog

Quote:
Originally Posted by edram454 View Post
Specific Coolant?? Really?

ed ramos.=D>
He's asking a question. Really.

ZR-1 Net Registry Member #1494
Hog is offline   Reply With Quote